S-10 Forum banner

98 4.3 Dime sputtering and dieing! ! !

507 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  CrankedVortec 
#1 ·
So on my way to work my 98 began to sputter sometimes so hard that it would kill itself. It was acting like it was starving itself for fuel, I would be cruising at 65 or 70 and it would sputter and die. Sometimes I will come to a complete stop sit there for a bit and all of a sudden it will die, I can throw it in neutral crank it back over and it won't miss a beat for the next 30 or 40 miles. Seems to be firing on all 6 cylinders when it's running good it has full power. I started trouble shooting with small steps I was thinking maybe I had a batch of bad fuel on my hands so I threw some seafoam in my tank. Earlier today the problem still existed so I moved to the next step and changed fuel filter. Truck has low miles it just hit 64,000 all original miles so I figure it is time for a tune up anyways. Tommorow I'm going to change plugs and wires. Just reaching out to see if anyone has some input or has ran into this type of problem??

#2 ·
The fuel spider likes to crap out in these things. Check your fuel pressure. You can also remove your upper intake manifold and peek inside. if you see fuel puddled up around your fuel spider, your spider is crapping out so replace it.

Another thing that can cause this is the EGR valve sticking. Pull it and check. The springy valve should easily move in and out. Clean it while your at it. Another possibility would be a piece of carbon breaking off the EGR valve and falling into the intake manifold. Shoot air down there to clean it out. There's an after market screen kit for the EGR valve to keep carbon contained. Worth the investment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.