97 s10 2.2 starter replacement - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

97 s10 2.2 starter replacement

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 03:42 AM   #1

97 s10 2.2 starter replacement

I'm currently in the process of replacing the starter on my 1997 2.2L s10. I have removed the starter but I am having problems getting the new one in. I have removed everything in the way, the back brace, support bracket, exhaust, and I still cannot manage to find the room to properly place the new starter back in. The old starter took at least an hour to find the right angle to push it back and pull it out, after a little bit of prying. I have tried jacking up the engine and that still didn't give me the room I need. I must be missing something...there is no way it can be this difficult to replace the starter on one of these things. what could I be missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 97 s10 2.2 starter replacement

with out seeing it telling you the angle to get in in there is hard but most of the problem is with the exhaust and the brace that runs from the motor to the bottom of the trans then try backing the starter into the motor side and then pushing it into the hole if that makes sense
Old 07-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Alright I got it in. I took a grinder to the end that goes into the transmission and grinded a bit of it off..maybe 2-3mm. Probably not supposed to do that but that was the only way it was going in. I got it wedged up in there to where i couldn't push it any farther but it wont fall back down, then i took a sledge hammer and hit it and it popped right into place. And I hate chevy for designing such garbage. They should have gave way more room for a starter, or made the starter smaller.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
Works too much!

It is just as bad on a 4.3 but glad you got it in.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #5

hey guys i need a list of all starters that will fit a 2000 2.2 5 speed if anyone could help i would thank them a lot .....looking for list cause i cant get a new one due to i was put out of work so if u could send or post a link thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 12:46 AM   #6

this truck will be for sale if no job is gotten in a week
Old 11-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #7
It's mostly BS

User is: Online

Quote: Originally Posted by zeek624@yahoo.com
this truck will be for sale if no job is gotten in a week
Go to Rock Auto. Find your Delco starter. Click on the pn and it will list all the cars it's used on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.