3rd Door Won't Open... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

3rd Door Won't Open...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2007, 01:04 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
3rd Door Won't Open...

So I can't open my 3rd door. The handle is broken and I have a new one but it seems the the problem lies deeper than the broken handle. When I pull down on the top latch "pole", the top of the 3rd door pops open. When I pull up on the bottom latch "pole" (with extreme force, mind you) it doesn't budge...

What could be wrong? Are there any tricks for opening it another way? Would I be able to assess the problem by removing the 3rd door interior door panel?

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #2

Re: 3rd Door Won't Open...

Did you already install the new handle?

I know this is a common problem with the 3rd doors, but usually it's just the handle.

Have you tried some type of lube on the latches like wd40 or something? Maybe they are just really gunked up.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #3

take off inside panel and remove the inside lower latch, see if cleaning a wd40 will break it free to function, if not get one from the dealer. (thats what ive done with many trucks at work)
Old 09-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #4

Thanks, I need to get a Torx big enough to get the screws off first before I can take the panel off because the seat belt screws are there...

By the way, the old broken handle was already disconnected from the poles when I removed it, and I just tried to pull/push on them with some pliers and the top unlatched, but the bottom wouldn't, even under extreme force... So right now, the handle is not on.

Nick
Old 10-01-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
SlammedSonoma96

Quote: Originally Posted by NTL1991
Thanks, I need to get a Torx big enough to get the screws off first before I can take the panel off because the seat belt screws are there...

By the way, the old broken handle was already disconnected from the poles when I removed it, and I just tried to pull/push on them with some pliers and the top unlatched, but the bottom wouldn't, even under extreme force... So right now, the handle is not on.

Nick
Try to push in at the middle or bottom of the door as you pull the latch rod. That should get the latch to clear enough to open.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
bah humbug

yeah, my bottom latch was really starting to stick, so I gave it a good coat of wd40 and it's working like a charm now.

So, good luck getting yours working.

Nigel
Old 10-01-2007, 11:42 PM   #7

Thanks! I will try tomorrow when I install the power door lock kit I bought for it. Does anyone happen to have any tips for removing the door panels?

Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #8

i broke 2 3rd door handles, the top always pops easy by pulling on the pole. the bottom is stuck like hell, i kicked it once and found a screwdriver wedged int he bottom of the door... but its still stuck.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #9

Sorry for bring back a dead thread, but i just bought a truck with this same problem. Did the wd40 work?
Looking around i also found this:
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...%20door%20hard
Old 12-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #10

Ok getting the door panel off would help,
anyone know how to pull the third door door panel?
I found plenty of threads on getting the regular door panels off but nothing on the third door
Old 12-23-2007, 12:10 PM   #11

I haven't tried it yet but I plan on buying an aluminum handle replacement from these guys http://www.thirddoorhandle.com/installation/index.html $12 on ebay. Their instructions don't involve removing the door panel either. Only if you need to get inside to lube the bottom latch. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:23 PM   #12

Yeah i sprayed the botom latch with wd40 and nothing its still stuck, the top latch is broken so i got to figure a way to get it open with out twisting the door. I dont know its freezing here so im not going to mess with till it warms up a bit hopfully then ill be able to free the bottom latch.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #13
chrome bumpers suck!!

Quote: Originally Posted by 96pickup
I haven't tried it yet but I plan on buying an aluminum handle replacement from these guys http://www.thirddoorhandle.com/installation/index.html $12 on ebay. Their instructions don't involve removing the door panel either. Only if you need to get inside to lube the bottom latch. I'll let you know how it goes.
i bought that handle and its awesome i never had problems with my 3rd door after i bought that....its definately worth it!
Old 12-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #14
LSxtremin FoLyfe

the aluminum handle was the best thing i put on mine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.