3rd door problem... - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

3rd door problem...

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 09:04 PM   #1

Angry 3rd door problem...

hey everyone,
so i have an 2003 extended cab and the handle broke in the third door. i decided to make a new one.. seems like everythings the same size and everything. i put it in, pull it, hear the click but the bottom of the door is totally stuck. i think ive had this problem before even with the old handle. the bottom never wants to open up and the door just wont open. when i pull the handle the door will come loose(like it should) then i just get nothing. anyone know what i could do to get this stupid door open? thanks

-ian
Old 10-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 3rd door problem...

You may have to take you truck into the dealer. They should be able to fix it, if the truck is under warrenty. If not, then it will probably cost you.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Pull my finger.

I usually have to start pushing against my 3rd door before I pull the handle to get it to open, and even then it doesn't always work. My handle broke off a few years ago, and I replaced it with this: www.3rddoorhandle.com
Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 AM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by deepbluespeedy
I usually have to start pushing against my 3rd door before I pull the handle to get it to open, and even then it doesn't always work. My handle broke off a few years ago, and I replaced it with this: www.3rddoorhandle.com
yeah i actually made one at school in metal shop class, came out not too bad, although i should probably paint it or something. the door is actually stuck, the bottom of the door wont seem to open, the top will though. i pushed, pulled, everything.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:47 AM   #5

take the pannel off and check all the rods.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #6

I just got an 03 Sonoma and am having the same problem. I was able to get the interior panel off and can see the lower latch inside the door. I'm not sure exactly how the lower latch functions. I can see that the top of the latch is working where the rod connects. There is a part of the latch that sticks out towards the bottom inside of the latch mechanism that isn't moving. I have tried hitting it down and prying it up but still cannot get the door open.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

-Justin
Old 11-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #7
keepin it freshhh

soak the bitch on some wd40 or pb blaster
Old 11-02-2009, 01:25 AM   #8
Blazin 4Dr

ya either push on the door and pull the handle or remove the handle and pull up on the bar to release the latch. The handle is a pretty common problem. It may be the handle geometry, or just the latch mechanism not being right. I've found that jagsthatrun.com has a great replacement door handle.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #9

stuckinatree90: i'm having the same exact problem with my own third door. the top door latch releases fine but the bottom latch is fricken stuck. ive pushed on the door and pulled the rod up as hard as i can, ive wd-40'd the hell out of it, taken a screw driver and hammer to the latch, etc. just like Sherlock said: the top of the bottom door latch looks like its working fine but there is a part on the bottom of the latch that doesn't want to move. im not sure how its supposed to work. did you ever get urs working?? whatd you have to do to fix it?? its pissin me off!!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:18 AM   #10

I took the door panel off, got inside the truck and put both feet on the bottom of the door and kicked while I had a buddy pull up on the rod. The door finally opened. The lower latched looked bent and pretty rusty. I replaced the lower latch and the door works fine now.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #11

okay thanks for the help. i'll have to try the same. i should have enough kick from bein so pissed off at it!!!
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #12

I had mine break off last year, I looked all over for a new one but couldn't find one for under $40. I ended up just waiting about 9 months and then carquest started carrying some new after market parts. One of them being the 3rd door handle. Also I had that problem, I greased the hell out of it and found that if you push inwards when you open the door it wont normally get stuck like that.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:12 AM   #13

Thanks for the info, just ordered a new handle.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:43 AM   #14

if u can get it open take ur handle out and place the clip that concets the handle to the lower and make sure it's shut all the way
Old 12-27-2009, 02:45 AM   #15

with the 3rd door handle it's factory problem but you can get the handle on ebay, auto zone or maybe even a dealer ship , but go on ebay look 4 a steel handle that would replace the plastic 1 and that fixes that i think i got mine for like 9 bucks all and all
Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 AM   #16

stuckinatree90: i got my door open by kicking just like you said. still looking for a new bottom latch. i'm going to meet a guy from craigslist to see if i can use some spare parts from his S10. hopefully i can find the part i need. thanks again for the help.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #17

The bottom latch & 3rd door handle are such a crappy design. The latch on the bottom gets internally rusted & seized very easily. They ALL go bad eventually. Remove door panel or handle & have a friend pull up on the cable that releases the bottom latch as you kick from the inside, its a real PITA to get that door open sometimes....Replace it & keep it heavily greased at all times unless you want this to happen again after a year or 2. ...The handle itself I know everyone has broken a few, they are really a bad design too. Make yourself a metal one or else you will be replacing about 1-3 of them every year.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #18

i usaly shot some wd-40 in the lach once a month and make sure the bar is lubed
Old 01-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #19

well i havent had any luck finding a door latch or striker on craigslist or the junkyards so i finally bought them through the dealer. frikken latch was $65 and the striker was $22. fukken crazy ass expensive !!!! oh well i had to get the parts to get the door back together. im hoping to get the door, seatbelt and panels back together this wknd!!! it will be worth having the 3rd door. i have a feeling the owner before me hadn't used the door in a long time. that 3rd door is def nice to have in working order!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:12 AM   #20
The Chop Shop

Had the same problem on my '03 zr2.The bottom latch seized up.Had to remove the 3rd door door panel and gave it a couple hard kicks to get it open.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #21

I have the same problem. The door is a little "stiff" to open up. I went through about 4 of those handles before I found the jags that run one on ebay. No more door handle breaks, but you do have to push slightly for the latch to give. I never took the panel off to check it, I just skeeted some WD40 on there.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM   #22

yea its just a cheap ass, shytty setup. figures it will take me over $100 to fix the damn thing lol!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #23

Quote: Originally Posted by deepbluespeedy
Best $17 I ever invested. It came with instructions and I did it myself!!
I bought the truck used and the previous owner said he had replaced the handle 4 times. I don't believe I'll ever have to replace it again!

Of course, there may be problems with the cables or other things, but I highly recommend the part. Thank you very much for the tip, DeepBlueSpeedy!!!

By the way, it only took less than a week to get here from TN.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #24

Same damn thing on my 03 zr2. Tried myself for almost 2hrs then had my sister hold the rod up and pull while I kicked from the inside and 15 sec later bam open! It's not the design that sucks so much but where it's located...my rocker is rusted so the latch is all rusted to shit but glad I can get the new one on now good luck everyone it's a bitch make sure you have two people for this job!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.