2000 Chevy S10 Engine noise - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2000 Chevy S10 Engine noise

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #1

2000 Chevy S10 Engine noise

I have done a lot of researching on here pertaining to the noise I am hearing in my engine, but had a hard time finding a thread that encompassed all of the variables that I am looking for so I decided to post.

I purchased my 2000 Chevy S10 LS with the 4.3L V6 about 18 months ago. It was supposed to be a project but it did more sitting in the garage than anything else. It sat for about 4 months prior to me actually finding the time to work on it without being started.

There is a ticking noise coming from what SOUNDS like the lower half of the engine. The sound is more prominent on the drivers side and stays in sync with the RPM's. Based on some of the videos I've seen here, it sounds like a lifter, so maybe the sound is misleading and it is not in the bottom half. My initial thought is that it is not a rod or bearing because they usually make kind of a "sloppy" noise and not a clear tick like I am hearing (please keep in mind, I make no claims of being a mechanic at all, but this has been the case in my super-limited experience).
Here is a link to a video that sounds like what I have:

After running it for 10 minutes or so the sound dissipates and is completely inaudible from inside of the truck, but slightly noticeable from the outside. I have tried MMO but that didn't make a difference, and my last oil change I went to 5W-30 synthetic with no result. The oil pressure is perfect and and there are no oil/coolant leaks.

The vehicle has 88,000 miles on it and the previous owner kept it in pristine condition and supplied all of the maintenance records.

So, that being said, is it a possibility that I did some type of damage by not running it for 4 months? Could it be a lifter? Or should I just prepare for the death of this truck.

Also, considering I know very little about working on vehicles, would replacing the lifters be too difficult for me to embark on by myself if I decide to do it?

This forum is awesome and thanks for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #2

Re: 2000 Chevy S10 Engine noise

Bump...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #3

Maybe a lifter? Have you tryed SeaFoam with the oil?
Old 02-26-2011, 02:21 AM   #4
a mintruck is never done

User is: OffLine

sounds like my 2002 sonona . i fist skimped cheep oill ,next time i used high milage oil slarted slowygettin louder . eventually was fading afay on start up whill warm . not so soud added some kind of oil aditive detergent i was told to get from advance in a yellow bottle ran it 2 weeks i think and it got better basicly i had a cloged lifter onth e passenger side. the oil pressure went up with each click .now days i start ti hear it faint i cange oil . full synthetic and a 4x4 filter to hold a even 5 bottles of oil . sorry about the spellin im fallin asleep with slep med th doc told mo to use
Old 02-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #5
2.2 Extremist

User is: Online

I would say it sounds to me like you should try adjusting your rockers, but it sorta sounds like the idler pulley, my 96 made the same sound but it didn't get louder with rpm's,
Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 AM   #6
a mintruck is never done

User is: OffLine

i cant say for shure about 2000 but my 2002 w 4.3 ,the rocker arms can't be adjusted ,but the nut that holds it down might could get loose mabe. i have heared of the rocker arm splitting at the pushrodr ,they are though.either way i would pull of the valve cover the wires will need slack, i unbolted items from the inner fenders to look at mine .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.