2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---who actually has one on their truck? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---who actually has one on their truck?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---who actually has one on their truck?

i know there have been threads of people TALKING about the ebay turbo kits, but i was wondering if there is anyone who actually is running one of these. im just curious cause im thinking about getting one. i would just like a little more power without spending a whole lot of money, or trying to swap in another motor. also what would exactly need to be done (internals) in order to run more than 8psi? not looking for anything crazy, its still a DD
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM   #2

Re: 2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---who actually has one on their truck?

Are you referring to something like this on Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-02-CHEVY-S10-2-2L-T3-T4-TURBO-MANIFOLD-KIT-/220479581531?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &fits=Year%3A1995%7CModel%3AS10&hash=item33559b6d5 b

If its got everything needed for the install, I say go for it. I do not know much about turbos or what is required...I like some more info myself

Last edited by TC-S10; 09-30-2011 at 09:57 PM. Reason: mispelled words
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

i was actually talking about something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...item3f0e84ff43

the one you found isnt a complete kit. you still need the intercooler, piping, Fuel management unit, blow off valve, and a bunch of other misc stuff. the kit i was looking at is pretty much complete, with the exception of a down pipe.

ive been doing quite a bit of research on turbos, and i know alot of people say that this is junk, but compared to other turbo kits that are around 3k bucks.....ill take my chances. plus you can always upgrade the turbo and components later when you have more cash. idk, i was just tryin to see if anyone was actually running one though.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:24 AM   #4

The kit you posted definitely has more compenents that the one I saw. Price wise, it seems reasonable to me.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #5

im running the same ebay turbo on mine with no problems! its a custom kit though, that mani is gonna delete you'r ac. not something i wanterd to do so had to build my own.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #6

thats pretty sweet man. how long have you had it on for? also, it looks like you are running w/o an intercooler....how much boost can you safely produce? also, is your kit the exact same as the one i quoted? cause the one i was looking at said you could keep your AC. i noticed that it was different than a lot of the other kits cause the manifold in the one i was looking at was a top mount design, instead of a side mount...
Old 10-01-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

stupid question but since i don't have A/C a kit like the one posted includes everything needed? seems like a real decent price on a complete turbo kit.

extra 100HP on the DD would be NICE!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #8

i have had it about a month on 8psi but it runs on e85, just put the cooler on it last weekend. the kit was a twin turbo kit for my mustang traded it for the sonoma and got to keep the turbo's and thats why i custom built everything. it took me about a week to build and install everything. i have heard of people going up to about 10-12psi with stock internals, i plan on running that once i get some time and money to have it tuned.

is yours flex fuel?
Old 10-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #9

just read the details on the kit sounds good!
Old 10-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #10

dont know how much hp but does a pretty sweet burout!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #11
nateMEEZY

I'm sure its a pretty good gain but i think 100hp on stock internals with 8psi isn't realistic. That is pretty much almost doubling the power of a motor that isn't built for performance one bit lol. i would say probably somewhere around 50-60, maybe around 70-85 with a good tune. Either of those is a huge gain for a pretty much bolt on kit. idk though I don't know how the tutus respond to mods like this. cant wait to see the numbers after the tune soupn02sonoma
Old 10-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #12

neither can i. i saw some one on here went from 77 to the ground to 140ish with a tune. cant remember what all he had done though.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
nateMEEZY

77? damn that must have been one beat up truck lol. ya I think the usual 2.2 with decent mileage puts down about 85-90 at the wheels. Hows the mpg when you get into boost? or is not that different because it doesnt have a tune yet?
Old 10-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #14

verry bad! went from 15mpg to 12mpg. from bad to worse! i'm an running a fmu to help maintain fuel pressure.
Old 10-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #15

since i installed the fmic it has actually been running a little lean so its only gonna get worse. i also have a very heavy foot.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
nateMEEZY

ha nice. Your truck was only getting 15 before?
i have a friend with a 240 and when its not in boost he gets about 20-25 and when he gets up into boost itll drop to around 8-15 depending on how hard he gets on it. It also put down almost 500 to the wheels though
Old 10-02-2011, 07:52 PM   #17

yeah, the kit sounded pretty good to me too. i dont think i would have to do too much custom work, and im pretty sure it would work with my AC too (at least thats what it said). and damn, you were only gettin 15-12mpg before the turbo?? if so, there is something pretty wrong. my trucks drivetrain is bone stock and i avg 26mpg and get around 30 hwy. and no, its not flex fuel. my truck is a 98. but i heard somewhere that if you boosted your ride, you would be able to run e85..not sure about it though. i know you would have to at least run premium.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #18

yea not sure whats wrong with it. it runs great just very bad mpg. maby when i get a tune it will reveal whats wrong?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 AM   #19
nateMEEZY

Hopefully haha your getting about the same gas mileage as a full size truck
Old 10-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #20

i know its pathetic. thats why i got rid of the stang lol
Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #21

I was looking at the complete kit listed above, and contacted a couple of people who bought them. The responses are less-than great. The plumbing is pretty much a universal kit, so trimming is required to make it actually fit. But the big problem is the exhaust manifold. In order to keep the AC, they put the turbo flange at the rear of the manifold. This shoves the turbo outlet right up against the firewall. A BFH is required to make enough room to route the exhaust. Also, it's really close to the power assist on the master cylinder.
The rig soupn02sonoma has seems to be the best bet for boosting, and keeping AC. That, or the remote setup from STS.

I'm seriously considering getting the ebay kit, and rigging an STS style setup. I think it would be a lot easier than pounding the firewall and insulating the main wiring harness...
Old 10-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #22

yea ac is a must! may b cool now but next summer is gonna be a scorcher like this year. thats why i built my own header.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
nateMEEZY

Don't they even test fit these kits? Why would they sell the kit if it doesnt even fit right.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by nateMEEZY
Don't they even test fit these kits? Why would they sell the kit if it doesnt even fit right.

because they don't waste the time fitting it to find it doesn't really fit and mainly because PEOPLE BUY IT haha
Old 10-08-2011, 07:47 AM   #25
I love hookers

Dont buy it !!! Ebay kits suck ass, I have one. I had to move p/s res, bend new brake lines, make a downpipe, cut out hood latch and some of the rad support for intercooler and install hood pins, moved p/s cooler, heat wrap everything. Once installed it ran, but very lean. Picked up hptuners pro, cobalt ss stage ii injectors (had to modify fuel rail for these), and wideband kit, spent days tuning for alpha-n since our trucks are not speed density. Spend the extra money and get a good kit, not an ebay one that was basically made for a cavi. On a positive note the turbo held up well and gas milage is great when I can keep my foot off the gas, but that doesnt happen much. 8 psi max with stock internals and that is pushing it.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #26

bagged, how much more power does it give you? and what kinda gas mileage are you talkin?
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
I love hookers

Around the 200hp range depending on the tune. 35mpg on the highway if just cruisin.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #28

Re: 2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---

i bought one turbo kit from ebay for like $350.00 , the manifold does not work, it's make the turbo touch the steering shaft. any one know where i can buy one that work ? without paying like $5000.00 for it? or what can i do to make it work? i have a 1998 s10 pick up with 2.2 motor. thanks for reading .
Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #29

I got a question im going to turbo my chevy s10 2.2L I have a new motor and transmission in it, but I was wondering do you have to worry about compression with these motors when adding a turbo charger so you don't damage it or is it okay without adjusting or fabricating?
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #30

You guys know that there is electric superchargers out there, right? Up to 8psi and a header.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #31

Re: 2.2 "ebay" turbo kit---

Quote: Originally Posted by mau-ar15
i bought one turbo kit from ebay for like $350.00 , the manifold does not work, it's make the turbo touch the steering shaft. any one know where i can buy one that work ? without paying like $5000.00 for it? or what can i do to make it work? i have a 1998 s10 pick up with 2.2 motor. thanks for reading .
dts2.net
I just bought their crate block as well as stage 2 turbo kit. I'm still waiting for a shipment date, but once it's in I'll be sure to blow up this forum with the detailsXD
Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #32

I just bought a jdm turbo kit for my 2000 chevy s10 of eBay it was 900 I was wondering if any one has bought this kit am tryed it ... And if I am gonna have any problems wit it ... And if u got any pointers on getting the truck ready for the turbo kit
Old 07-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #33
LS3 - T56 coming SOON !

never mind ............opp's
Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #34

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I'm new to owning an S-10. Got an 02 w/ 2.2L FFV and I had also found the turbo kit on ebay. I am trying to get a bit more power out of this engine so as to avoid all the downshifting my a/t does going down the highway just to maintain speed. It's relatively cheap and seemingly should work. But I would like to know what mods need to be done to a FFV in order to install a turbo like this. The 3k turbo kit from DTS I found on turbokits.com has a description under it stating that the FFV needed mods before installing a turbo kit, but didn't have the decency to explain what they were. And 3k is a bit steep for me, if ebay is feasible, I'd much rather go that route. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry about writing a novel there... lol
Old 05-16-2014, 02:14 AM   #35
Forever breaking this S10

User is: Online

If you want to blow up your motor, you're better off draining the coolant and putting a brick on the accelerator. An eBay turbo kit is an expensive way of doing that. The dts2 kit is expensive for a reason.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 AM   #36

Didn't expect the callousness, simply on a quest for knowledge here. Thanks anyway guy.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:13 AM   #37

Just ask the other guys that have turbod their 2.2's here. Not only did they spend an immense amount of money just to be able to support the turbo, but they spent more than they would have on an LS swap that could have net double the power.

That eBay kit is cheap for a reason. That turbo will last you a quarter of a season. The whole kit isn't even meant for our trucks. It's branded as compatible with 2200s, but in the car form, not truck. You'll spend more money than that kit is worth just trying to get it to work. On top of that, you'll have to upgraded the motor with hardened internals and you'll still only be seeing up to high 100s at the most in hp with that kit. That is, of course, the head decides it doesn't like that boost (whatever that cheap turbo can actually make) and decides to separate itself from the block.

This is not something to be cheaped out on.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:55 AM   #38

Be that as it may, instead of answering my primary question, you've ranted about the pitfalls of the ebay turbo. I get it! Now what I was really wanting to know is what necessary alterations need to be made to a FFV in order to run this type of application. If you can't help me with this, then there isn't a point continuing.

As a side note, I highly doubt forged internals are necessary to run minimal boost. Like I stated earlier, I'm only looking to improve the output of the engine for highway cruising. I'm not trying to build a race engine here. Jesus it's a 2.2!!
Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #39

Exactly, it's just a 2.2. These are weak motors that already shouldn't be in such a heavy application. Just look at all of the problems anyone had with these engines, then add them all together once you add a contents under pressure" sticker on it.

If you truly wanted to turbo it, it's the same as any other car. Pump, injectors, exhaust/header, intercooler, tune. The flex fuel gets you a little better injectors but still recommended to upgrade. Same with the fuel pump. You'll also want to run ARP head studs. If you're just doing a few pounds of boost, stock internals should hold, but don't count on it.

And you don't have to keep stating that it's a FFV - all 01's and 02's were.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #40

I see, I was under the impression that it required something specific because it specifically mentioned that flex fuel 2.2's required mods in the disclaimer, as opposed to the older 2.2's which evidently didn't. Aside from what you previously mentioned. Tune, Fmu, etc.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:35 AM   #41

Of course, they could just be referring to the actual fitment of the kit itself needing modified. I don't know if the layout of the engine bay may be slightly different so the plumbing may need modified to fit correctly. Or something along those IInes. Either way, it's been informative. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:37 AM   #42

The flex fuel trucks use bigger injectors and a different pump. Between a non-FF and FFV, the differences are minimal though. FFV has no EGR but has air injection into the manifold, so if you buy a header not meant for a FFV, you'll throw a code. There is also a difference in the FPR. But as far as fitment, everything should be identical.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #43
2.2 Extremist

Just stop... the both of you.

No. The e at kit is not worth the money. If you are needing to get more power from your 2.2 there are many other mods to do that are bolt on and go and will help tremendously. There is a lot needed to make that kit work and by the time you are done with it you will have replaced almost every component in that kit. Just trying to save yourself the headache and money.

As I said, check out the stickies in the 2.2 section and you'll find cheaper other ways to help your 2.2. If you aren't wanting to spend the time/money to do it right then move up to a 4.3 s10. You'll be better off in the long run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 05-20-2014, 02:19 AM   #44
Solid Axle MOD

Quote: Originally Posted by GMC Motorsports
Just stop... the both of you.

No. The e at kit is not worth the money. If you are needing to get more power from your 2.2 there are many other mods to do that are bolt on and go and will help tremendously. There is a lot needed to make that kit work and by the time you are done with it you will have replaced almost every component in that kit. Just trying to save yourself the headache and money.

As I said, check out the stickies in the 2.2 section and you'll find cheaper other ways to help your 2.2. If you aren't wanting to spend the time/money to do it right then move up to a 4.3 s10. You'll be better off in the long run.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
^^This.

/thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.