1999 S-10 rear brake lock?!?!?!?! - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1999 S-10 rear brake lock?!?!?!?!

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #1

1999 S-10 rear brake lock?!?!?!?!

Hey everyone,
I have a 1999 2wd 2.2L Auto S-10! My passenger rear brake locks up when I first start driving, when its damp, dry it doesn't matter. The brakes are brand new. Like I read in other posts. I can't drive in slow traffic the pass. rear locks up, then the ABS kicks in. No brake fluid leaks, no rear axle seal leaks, bone dry and clean. I finally took it to the dealer, he said e-brake cable was to tight. I drove it home no problems and it stopped like it should. Today different story, locks up again. And as I was driving up to garage I lightly tapped the brake and it almost put me through the windshield. It startled me pretty bad, I don't want to drive this anymore. Any ideas. Someone has got to have a fix for this! Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 1999 S-10 rear brake lock?!?!?!?!

Take it back apart. You need to first check the adjustment and if that's OK, check the cable. Stepping on the brake shouldn't engage the parking brake. They are virtually 2 different setups.

MAYBE if the cable is tight, it may throw the drums out of adjustment enough that it could lock up. If so you can just remove the cable until you find a replacement.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #3

User is: Online

Drum brakes I'm assuming.

Remove the drums on both sides. Compare the lining of the forward shoe on each side. The forward brake shoe should have the short lining compared to the rear shoes.

Check that the wheel cylinders are not seized. You can do this with the hardware installed. Use a large screwdriver to lever the top 1/3 of the front and rear shoes towards the center of the wheel cylinder. If both shoes move forward and back when prying from each side the wheel cylinder is free.

Check that the shoe material appears identical side to side.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
always something new

you need to do a better inspection....some thing is not right inside drum that locks up...
Old 08-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ticket Magnet

Possible contamination..fluids
Old 08-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #6

Now, this morning I leave for work both rear wheels lock up. I stopped to back up and turn around, and truck would barley move. I had to give it a good amount of gas, I drove back up the drive way and I could smell the brakes getting hot. So I go jack it up and pull the tires off and I was expecting to beat the drums off, but they just pulled right off, no problems! What gives?! I put it back together, drive it around and no problems. Go to clean up, come back out and it locks up pulling down the drive way. I said thats it and parked it. I can't afford to just start replacing parts if it's not the problem, but I am lost!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

A corroded wheel cylinder could potentially cause the brakes to not release immediately.
Just a thought. Wheel cylinders are also cheap and easy to install. Not sure what else could cause your problem.

Jake
Old 08-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #8

Try releasing both cables for the ebrake first. Put the rear up on stands. Have someone press the brake and you spin it. If it locks up again, you have a problem with your wheel cylinders. Make sure they are adjusted properly and a shoe isn't going off its curb as well. If you just replaced them, it should be almost impossible to have that happen. I'm really leaning towards wheel cylinders....
Old 08-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #9

Thanks for the info guys. The ebrake cables where backed off, by the dealer a few days ago. I drove it around last night and absolutely no problems. i jacked it up and spun the rear wheels and I don't hear anything rubbing, they appear to be free. I am leaning towards the wheel cylinders. I am going to try to drive it this morning, to see what happens. This is frustrating! Thanks again.

P.S. I miss my 78 Chevy 1/2 4x4!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Pull a drum off, take a pic and post it. Make sure you say which side it's from. It might be put together wrong, even if it went together the way it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.