1998 Sonoma Surging issue - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2017, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered Users

1998 Sonoma Surging issue

I have seen somewhat similar threads around this site, so please forgive me is this is redundant. I just have not ever seen a clear answer on the issue. My 1998 Sonoma is fitted with the 2.2 and has over 230,000 miles. When I am at cruising speeds mainly between 40-60 mph, I can hold a steady peddle and the rpms will rise about 100 rpms over and over. When adding a little more throttle it seems to go away, and it also seems to be non-existent when I reach 60mph and above. I have changed the TPS, and had the transmission rebuilt twice. This is super annoying, and other than this problem the truck seems to run and shift great. Any opinions and knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 10:21 PM

Re: 1998 Sonoma Surging issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCarnes View Post
I have seen somewhat similar threads around this site, so please forgive me is this is redundant. I just have not ever seen a clear answer on the issue. My 1998 Sonoma is fitted with the 2.2 and has over 230,000 miles. When I am at cruising speeds mainly between 40-60 mph, I can hold a steady peddle and the rpms will rise about 100 rpms over and over. When adding a little more throttle it seems to go away, and it also seems to be non-existent when I reach 60mph and above. I have changed the TPS, and had the transmission rebuilt twice. This is super annoying, and other than this problem the truck seems to run and shift great. Any opinions and knowledge is greatly appreciated.
Honestly, the best tack I would take would be to get a good scan tool that had data logging capability (not just a code scanner -- codes can only take you so far), so you can monitor what's going on during the surge. Otherwise, you can guess at parts. I thought the TPS was a pretty good educated guess, but it was just a guess (and the wrong one apparently).

I use Ease Diagnostics software on my laptop. About $200 for the software and cables. You can spend that much in parts fairly easily. In your case, since you can replicate the issue pretty easily, so something should stand out. You just need to learn to interpret the data. You may find you have an odd signal from the O2 sensor or maybe some weird fuel trim numbers. There are lots of online resources for interpreting that data.

...or you can pay a mechanic to use his scanning gear to do the same.

Ken T.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2017, 10:44 PM

Android phone?

Torque app, 5 bucks + 10 bucks for an OBD adapter

You can graph any live data. I've used it for many years. Best value in OBD diagnostics

You can monitor your fuel trims O2 voltage to see if it's a vacuum or fuel problem.

I'm not old, I'm ripe - My LS Jeep project

post #4 of 4 Old 03-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread but what OBD adapter would you recommend? Would this also work on the ABS?

Assumption is the mother of all fups....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page