1996 S10 clutch problem - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1996 S10 clutch problem

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > S10 / Sonoma
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

1996 S10 clutch problem

Overnight, I found that my clutch pedal goes almost all the way down to the floor. I can barely, without some manipulation, get it into gear. The reservoir is full. I think I see where the "line" goes to some kind of module that sticks out the side (recessed however) of the tranny, and is loose (wobbles side-to-side a little) - not sure if this is normal. Anyways, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Rollin'

User is: OffLine
Re: 1996 S10 clutch problem

Sounds like the clutch needs to be bled. There should be a little bit of play in the QD where the line meets the slave cylinder but it shouldnt be excessive and should feel pretty stiff. I've replaced the slave cylinder 3 times in my '96 2.2 because the internals of the slave cylinder fell apart.

When you pump the clutch to build pressure does anything happen and then bleed out or does nothing happen at all?

I would recomend bleeding the clutch first and then see what happens, best case, some air was introduced to the system. Worst case, you're looking at a tranny drop and slave cylinder replacement.

Pics of my slave cylinder last time I replaced it.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 S10 clutch problem-picture-124.jpg   1996 S10 clutch problem-picture-135.jpg  
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #3

Nothing happens when I pump. And as far as the module that enters the side of tranny, it probably wiggles 1/8-1/4 inch either way.

Give me an idea as to where I would attempt the bleed, as the manual is VERY unclear on the '96. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Rollin'

is it a 2.2 or a 4.3?

If it's a 2.2 then the bleeder valve will be directly above the inlet of the slave cylinder. I assume the nv3500 attached to the 4.3L would be in the same place or somewhere very similar.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:00 PM   #5

It is a 2.2L.

I am assuming that the master is bolted to the firewall in the engine compartment, and the slave is down in the tranny. If correct, there is no access to the slave as I understand it . . . one would have to drop the tranny to get at it.

There is a black line dropping down from the master that connects to an "unserviceable" module. There seems to be an outer tranny housing, which the module goes through (a hole), and with the limited visual, I assume is somehow (loosely) connected to something that appears to be the inner housing of the tranny. The module does not appear to be serviceable in any way.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by tonyosis
It is a 2.2L.

I am assuming that the master is bolted to the firewall in the engine compartment, and the slave is down in the tranny. If correct, there is no access to the slave as I understand it . . . one would have to drop the tranny to get at it.

There is a black line dropping down from the master that connects to an "unserviceable" module. There seems to be an outer tranny housing, which the module goes through (a hole), and with the limited visual, I assume is somehow (loosely) connected to something that appears to be the inner housing of the tranny. The module does not appear to be serviceable in any way.

Thanks.
There should be another stem sticking out above the inlet line that you have been able to wiggle. That is your bleeder valve. But if that doesnt work then you will need to probably get the slave changed. Same thing happened to me. I also had a new clutch put in while they had the tranny dropped because it made sense for it to be done then so i didnt have to pay for the tranny to be dropped again for a new clutch in the near future. But all in all for a mechanic to do it your looking at about $900 job. That price is including replaceing the clutch. With out a new clutch it would prob be somewhere around the $700-$800 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.