How much work/time is involved to change an intake gasket? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

How much work/time is involved to change an intake gasket?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2009, 09:58 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
How much work/time is involved to change an intake gasket?

Looks like (but still unsure) if the intake gasket on my 00 Envoy is leaking... i'm losing coolant...

How much work is involved as well as time? or am i better off sending it out to have it done?

any ideas?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Chip Chipperson

Re: How much work/time is involved to change an intake gasket?

if your good at mechanicl work its not to bad.first time i did it took me a little over a day.wanted to make sure i didnt miss anything.second time i did one i started at 4 in the afternoon and finished at about 8 or 9 that evening.and that was stopping for dinner.if you do it yourself get the good upgraded felpro kit and a haynes manual.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Johny C-Tech

When I was on my way to chicago I had to have this fixed while I was on the road and it was around 500 bucks. If I was home I would have done it myself it is not to bad to fix yourself. I did it on my astro in about 5 or so hours
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
-------------

It's not too hard but it does take a while. I just changed out the gaskets on my wife's Bravada a couple weeks ago. It was the first time I had ever tore that far into a 4.3 and I was a little intimidated at first. It ended up taking me about 7 hours and I only had one left over part when I was done... Unfortunately i'm not joking, it was an extra bolt, and it's still sitting on the workbench in my garage. But just make sure you have a In/lb torque wrench to put everything back togather.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #5

If you know what your doing or have a friend to come nad do it that knows what they are doing it will take about 4 or 5 hours
I had a friend who knew what they where doing and it took about 5 hours to get mine doen just on saturday maybe 5 and a half
Old 01-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

I did it on my 94 fullsize and it was easy, oh wait I forgot to mention that there was a lot less electronics, it was out of the truck, and I was installing a different intake.

Since it's the 1st time you're doing it I'd say around 2 days if you take your time, just keep up with all the nuts/bolts and be sure not to get anythin in the holes, clean up where the old gasket was, and keep everything clean.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #7

save yourself on labor charges and do it yourself. it's easy and will take a few hours if you're mechanically inclined and can follow directions easily.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #8

piece of cake.. trust me.. i was supposed to help a buddy of mine do it.. he started tearing everything down at about 9am and by the time i go tthere at 12 he was done for the most part.. he knew nothing about his truck but once he looked at it for 10 mins he know he could do it.. save yourself the money and do it yourself..
Old 01-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #9
KMS

a trick to not remove the power steering bracket/ a/c holder take a grinder and grind it out until you see the bolt... just a trick we do.. makes it way easier but you have to take the oil pressure sending unit out
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #10

i had a dealer do mine and i believe it took them about 4-6 hours. it was gonna cost me 400 bucks, but i found out that my intake was cracked so it ended up costing me a 1100 bucks so rounding it off i would say bout 500 bucks for a dealership.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by kms_dude1
a trick to not remove the power steering bracket/ a/c holder take a grinder and grind it out until you see the bolt... just a trick we do.. makes it way easier but you have to take the oil pressure sending unit out
It's only 4 bolts! 3 at the top, one below, not difficult at all. Just move it forward, toward the rad. You don't need to remove it at all, and you can leave the O/P sender in place.

Take it out, you'll make a mess with a grinder hacking the bracket.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 PM   #12

Quote: Originally Posted by 2003Xtreme
i had a dealer do mine and i believe it took them about 4-6 hours. it was gonna cost me 400 bucks, but i found out that my intake was cracked so it ended up costing me a 1100 bucks so rounding it off i would say bout 500 bucks for a dealership.
500 would be way to cheap for a dealership to do that but wow if that is what it would have costed i know they would go like the 8 book hours it says it takes times the probably 89 or 99 dollars and hour the dealrship charges for labor iw ould thing the deaership would charge like 700 for that job after flushing the coolant out and oil change and all that good stuff
Old 01-28-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
KMS

Quote: Originally Posted by AWD V8
It's only 4 bolts! 3 at the top, one below, not difficult at all. Just move it forward, toward the rad. You don't need to remove it at all, and you can leave the O/P sender in place.

Take it out, you'll make a mess with a grinder hacking the bracket.

well thats why you only grind it before you take it all apart. eh this is a dealer trick so.. and ive never had one leak so personal preference make less work
Old 01-31-2009, 04:02 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by kms_dude1
well thats why you only grind it before you take it all apart. eh this is a dealer trick so.. and ive never had one leak so personal preference make less work
It only takes 5 minutes to remove those bolts!

Gosh, to hack a bracket on the truck would take nearly as long and looks like crap after..... IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.