Big time brake problem on Bravada - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Big time brake problem on Bravada

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #1

Big time brake problem on Bravada

1999 Bravada w/ Smartrak

We bought it used maybe 3 months ago now. Since we got it I have noticed that at times when going under maybe 5mph that the brake pedal will fight back at me and I have to push quite hard for it to stop. I hve heard that low speed activation is a problem with an ABS sensor but this doesn't seem like theh ABS is activating. I've never felt the ABS system fight back.

Anyway, my wife just came back from the gas station and said that the pedal now goes down to the floor with little to no resistance and the truck is very hard to stop. She says the ABS light came on as didd another light that says "brakes" with an exclamation mark and a "P" above it. Does anyone know what this means other than the brake light is on? I'm assuming that the pedal going to the floor means a busted line, but given the less than 5mph problem I'm wondering if maybe there is a problem with the ABS system or the booster or even M/C.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have to work tomorrow (sat) but may be able to work on the tuck on Sunday.

-Mike
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Big time brake problem on Bravada

Sounds like a combination of things. Sounds like the pads are worn out and when it goes to the floor you will get the Brake light and the P light. Mine has the flaky under 5mph ABS deal too. It pisses me off. I thought it was because the rear brakes were hanging but I believe I have that fixed and it still does it randomly. It's been too cold and crappy this winter to spend any time trying to figure it out. I want to pull the sensors out and clean them to make sure that's not the problem.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
it happens

mine was doing almost the same thing, I needed the right front wheel bearing replaced and it is fine now
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 AM   #4

A bad wheel bearing caused the ABS to go wonky?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
Slap my meat on your pita

Yeah, when my wheel bearings were bad, stopping at slow speeds was a problem because the ABS would kick in. Normally when my ABS light comes on, I know that one of my wheel bearings are on their way out. The sensor is right on the bearing IIRC.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #6

I never see an ABS light on mine when it acts funny.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Well FWIW I went and moved it into the garage this morning. The ABS light went off but the regular brake light went on and the pedal was mush just about to the floor. I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow AM and see if there is any fluid leaking out anywhere. If not then I may just pick up a master cylinder as my GM manual basically is telling me that a bad power booster will be very hard to press, not soft. A mush pedal may be a bad M/C. I guess we'll see.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Zr2.2

User is: Online

If you don't have a blown line, my vote would be on a bad master cylinder. Just before winter I replaced my girlfriends master cylinder in her 99 blazer, she had pretty much the same thing happen. At random the brake pedal would go to the floor, the light would come on, and in a couple pumps it would be fine for who knows how long, next stop or 100 stops later it would hit the floor. I had a master go bad in one of my trucks and it basicly had no brakes the pedal would go right to the floor, had to pump it but even then the truck barely stopped, that was scary.

If the brake booster was bad the pedal would be really hard, much like pumping the brake pedal with the truck off.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:24 PM   #9
forum idiot

pull abs fuse out from under the hood

if it goes away its a abs issue...mine did the same thing and i just left out the fuse
Old 03-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #10

Well I think I found the problem. Leak either at the top of the rear center brake hose where the solid steel line meets up or a leak in the steel line itself.

Does anyone know what the correct diameter is for replacement brake line on these things? I think it looks to be 3/16" but I'm not positive since it's rusty. If I can get a long enough length and see where it's all run I may be able to tackle it myself, otherwise I have to pay someone to run a new line to the rear of the truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.