Auto dim mirror wiring Help? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Auto dim mirror wiring Help?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

Auto dim mirror wiring Help?

I have a 2000 jimmy "SLE trim" 4dr 4wd. It has the regular rear view mirror, and I want to swap in an auto dim mirror. I bought one and dropped the center console yesterday, I was hopping to see a conector for the mirror, but there is none. I have the original pigtail for the mirror so I could splice it if I had to, but I would rather do it the right way.
My question is should there be a pigtail for the mirror from the overhead console? or was there a stand alone harness from the bcm to the mirror. Has anyone ever done this mod before if so could you help.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
94 s10 in progress

User is: OffLine
Re: Auto dim mirror wiring Help?

i think its just power, the sensor is on the front of the mirror
Old 01-28-2010, 09:27 PM   #3

3 or 4 wires depending on mirror but you only need two, power and ground. 3rd is for reverse light which turns off the auto dim while backing up and 4th if it has it is for the dimming outside mirrors that some Envoys and Bravadas had. I put one in my Sonoma. I need to get one for my Blazer but it doesn't even have map lights so I got no wiring there.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #4

Hears what I have found, the mirror is a gentex GNTX 187. there are 5 wires on the back pin 1-5
pin1 Brown 12v+ switched "ignition"
pin2 Black grnd
pin3 light Green back up light 12v input
pin4 grey 12v+ to auto dim outside mirror
pin5 pink 12v- to auto dim outside mirror

it seems the colors arnt that important its the pin # that tells you what should be there. I have not been able to find any mirror with the same color wires I have but all the 5 wire mirrors have the same pin out set up.
ill update this once I power up the mirror.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:57 AM   #5

Hmm...didn't remember there being 5 wires on mine. All you need really is power and ground. Technically it should be switched to your lights so the auto dim only comes on when you turn your headlights on. I think that's how it worked in my Jimmy. I just wired it to switched in my Sonoma though.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #6

I put an auto dim mirror in my 03 S-10 that did not have one before. I pulled an auto dim mirror from a 98 Blazer along with the whole harness for the overhead console and mirror. The harness runs from the console under the headliner to the driver sided A pillar down to where the fuse panel is on the Driver side of the dash and plugs into another harness at the firewall. It was just plug and play for me, it worked out great. I did not have to cut or rewire anything. Hope this helps.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM   #7

Question Re: Auto dim mirror wiring Help?

i picked up a windshield out of a local bone yard and it had a Metagal rearview mirror attached to it. I want to use it but not sure of what wire goes where i have 4 wires, white-yellow-orange-black- anyone have a clue? I'm putting this into a 98 s10 thanks!http://www.flickr.com/photos/volkswagenbus/5229786261/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.