Anyone w/Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter with FCC ID of KOBUT1XT? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Anyone w/Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter with FCC ID of KOBUT1XT?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #1

Anyone w/Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter with FCC ID of KOBUT1XT?

I've figured out that someone replaced my RKE module since it burned out the BCM back in 2004. They put in another new GM RKE module and bcm at that time. The bcm works fine, but apparently they didn't document putting in a different receiver with a DIFFERENT FCC ID code than was originally installed. The people I bought the vehicle from lost the replacement remote they had gotten since it stopped working (it probably just needed another battery). The problem is when I go to order a remote from GM they can't look them up by FCC ID number, only with at least the last eight of the VIN(or the full VIN). So, can you folks look on your remote keyless entry remotes to see if you have a remote with an FCC ID number of KOBUT1XT ? IF you do please let me know. A hint is that an FCC ID of KOBLEAR1XT doesn't work (although this or KOBUT1BT seems to be the only ones I can find online). Then I can just give the dealership the last eight of the one of your guy's vin to the GM parts dept. and be in business. This would be of a great help guys!

Andy
Old 07-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
94 s10 in progress

User is: OffLine
Re: Anyone w/Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter with FCC ID of KOBUT1XT?

i got a couple remotes in my shop, i will see what they are tomorrow sometime
Old 07-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

What are you looking for exactly? I've got a box full of remotes in my desk at work. Are you looking for another remote? Just get a remote from eBay if that's what your after...
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies. My problem is that I can't find a remote online with a FCC ID of KOBUT1XT. When I have called up the places by application for the remotes they have given me an option of a remote with KOBUT1BT or KOBLEAR1XT. Normally you just change the FCC ID at the end of the R for receiver to a T for transmitter. The RKE receiver my vehicle now has is Gm part number 15732806 with an FCC ID of KOBUT1XR. I found the receiver FCC ID on the gov't site for checking FCC Id's at: http://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/ . The pic of the receiver module's casing have the exact same numbers as mine. But I can't find the FCC ID of KOBUT1XT on the site. But I can find KOBLEAR1XT and KOBLEAR1XR on the site. I just found this link tonight. http://www.remotesandkeys.com/Articles.asp?ID=812
Do you believe it is correct? I've never seen this with non matching FCC Id's before between the transmitter (remote) and receiver.

Thank you for the help, it is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

For what its worth, I found a pair of KOBLEAR1XT's in my desk.
Oh, and the 'LEAR' part of KOBLEAR1XT is cause the remote is mfg'd by LEAR Corp. GM/Lear part no. 15043458
Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

And your GM parts store is lazy, lol!
Using part number 15732806, its revealed that that RKE is in everything from Montes to GrandAms to Astros. From that RKE pt#, I got a list of compatable remotes. Based on the fact that this is for a Jimmy/Blazer, I narrowed that list down to only 4 button remotes (LOCK, UNLOCK, HORN, x2/Hatch).
Thats gives you two remote options:
pt#15042968
pt#15043458
There are other remotes that can be use with that RKE, but they are only 3-button and you wont have the hatch button.
This took me under 2 minutes to find (took longer to type my response, lol)
Oh, and again, I have two #15043458 (KOBLEAR1XT)

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 07-26-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #7

Kris, thank you for looking. So you do not believe that the Remotes with a KOBUT1BT FCC ID are matching to my Receiver according to the website I gave (I know there's was for a truck which wouldn't have a trunk release)? I have found a 4 button remote with an FCC ID of KOBUT1BT, it GM part number 25665574. Someone was nice enough to provide me witha pic of receiver with a FCC ID of KOBLEAR1XT. The Canada number on the receivers is the same but the FCC ID is different, and of course the GM part number is different as well. Is the canada number irrelevant? Thank for the continued responses.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

The Canada number is just our equivalant of your FCC number (its only purpose is to prove that the transmitters pass government communication requirements). These are just certification numbers meaning that they have been tested to not bring down an airplane when you unlock your doors...remember when the PS2 was delayed initially? FCC found that is was possible to remotely launch missles by pressing certain button sequences on the PS2 remote (that frequency of brodcast then needed to be blocked as per FCC requirements).

What is important to you is the GM part number.

The ONLY 4 button trasmitters that work with the 15732806 part number is 15042968 and 15043458 so you need to get fobs with one of those numbers.

$25 and you can have the pair of these if you like.

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 07-26-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

Kris, thank you for your assistance. I will keep your offer in mind. I'm not ready to buy right at this moment but may be ready in a year or so. Here is where I get confused since you wouldn't think the different part number would carry the same FCC ID. Here is a pic from the FCC submission from lear for the receiver acutally stating the KOBLEAR1XR::

Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #10

Kris, thank you for your assistance. I will keep your offer in mind. I'm not ready to buy right at this moment but may be ready in a month or so since funds are a little tight. Here is where I get confused since you wouldn't think the different part number wouldn't accept the same FCC ID. Here is a pic from the FCC submission from lear for the receiver acutally stating the KOBLEAR1XR::

The orig. submission for the FCC id was made in 2000 for KOBLEAR1XR.

Now for the current receiver I have the orig. submission for the FCC ID was made back in 1996.
Hear is the one for the current receiver I have and all the numbers match on it to the actual one that I have in my possession.

This is just some really odd stuff. I'm thinking maybe I might have to get one remote of each FCC ID and go from there?

Last edited by 80sselky; 07-26-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: messed up link
Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

One FCC code might be for one year tested and then the FCC code might have changed so one mfg'd at a later date might carry a different code (as in your example).

Could also be one code for OEM installed and another for replacment part.

Transmitters and receivers also have different FCC codes on them as one sends and one receives so they are tested and regulated differently (so you might not get matching codes on both rec'vr and transmitter).

Either way, the FCC numbers are just legal things...the part number needs to match up.

The RKE module thats in your truck, that has the 15732806 number on it, needs to have the fobs matched up to THAT part number (which is the 2 part numbers I listed)

Long and short, a Sonoma front end might fit on an S10 but that doesnt mean its right part even though it fits. You need to have the right remotes for the right receiver....a Sony remote will not turn on a Samsung TV.

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 07-26-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #12

With the help of member Lombard over on the Blazer forum and him taking the pics of his keyless entry unit(that works properly in his 2000 Blazer), part number 15732806 receivers with an FCC ID on them of KOBUT1XR take a transmitter of KOBUT1BT. Hopefully this will help out some others with installing a new keyless entry unit with this FCC ID. GM will hopefully correct their records to reflect that part number 15732806 could have 2 different FCC ID's.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

They dont need to correct anything and I dont think this is what you are understanding....FCC#'s mean NOTHING to GM. I said that already. FCC numbers are government mandates. GM doesnt care as FCC numbers have no bearing on anything to GM. The gov't forces GM to even have that number on there. The govt gives gm a number and says you must put this on your rke. PART NUMBERS is what GM cares about. PART NUMBERS need to match. The FCC numbers matching (or not) is purely coincendental! In some contries where there is no fcc equivalant, there is ONLY part numbers on the remotes!

Please stop calling the remotes by their FCC numbers. If you dont want to listen to me then fine, but, dont go out giving information that will confuse future members.

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 08-01-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Let me correctly fix your post for you:

Quote: Originally Posted by 80sselky
...part number 15732806 receivers...take a transmitter of part numbers 15042968 or 15043458. Hopefully this will help out some others with installing a new keyless entry unit with this part number. GM's records reflect that part number 15732806 could have 2 different part numbers (as listed above)
Old 08-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
98 s10 limo

does anyone know how involved it is to replace fob outside of dealer?, wife's car is a 05 uplander and the fob buttons have wore out, some says buttons can be repaired with some conductive paint, has anyone tried this? or is it easier to just get replacement fob? and program?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #16
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Open it up. There is a little 'C' thing that holds the battery in place. It should be soldered to board at both ends. Likely, one end the solder has broken. 9 out of 10 that come into my dealer are this way. A little dab of solder and your good to go. If not, youll need a replacment remote. Take a look at the GM number at the back. You can look for that remote from eBay or PM me as I likely have one.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
98 s10 limo

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:39 PM   #18

My '00 Blazer did not have keyless remote factory installed. I have a receiver numbered 15732806 from a '01 Blazer. The FCC code is KOLEARIXR. My key fob transmitter is GM #15732605, which is correct for the receiver, but it has a different FCC code as discussed above KOBUTIXR.

Before I install the receiver, I believe I need a correct transmitter key fob. It sounds like K dawg one has the ones I need. Is this correct?

What steps need to be taken when the receiver is plugged into the wire harness to make the system recognize remote locks?
Old 08-07-2010, 06:59 PM   #19
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

15042968 and 15043458 are the fobs you need.
Old 08-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #20

I see the 15043458 is the one with the "2X" button for the tailgate. Do you have one of them for sale?

Also, do you know if there is a procedure needed to program the vehicle when plugging in the receiver module? I have the procedure for the key fob.

Thank you.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Yup, ive got a pair of the 2X fobs. PM me about them if you want them.

For the RKE receiver, according to SI Document ID 614487:
Quote:
-Remove the left-side instrument panel sound insulator.
-Disconnect the electrical connector.
-Remove the remote control door lock receiver from the instrument panel sound insulator by unsnapping it.
-Install the remote control door lock receiver to the instrument panel sound insulator by snapping it into place.
-Connect the electrical connector.
-Install the left-side instrument panel sound insulator.
-Reprogram the transmitters.
-Test the operation of the system.

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 08-07-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #22

Kris, Did you get the fobs shipped? Thanks for the info in the previous posts. I'm anxious to try this out and get the locks working!!
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #23
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Paypal rec'd today
I will get them out first thing in the morning with the mail!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #24

Kris,

Got the fobs today. They look good--one of them like new. Tomorrow we will install the receiver and program to these fobs. I hope it works OK!!

Thanks,
Dick Boneske
Old 08-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #25

Installed the RKE module. Tried the programming procedure. The system does not cycle the door locks after releasing the unlock button as the procedure describes. I've copied the procedure posted on another site that this guy claims is needed when adding remote locks to a vehicle that was not equipped at the factory. Any suggestions?

Show my posts from:Last VisitYesterdayLast 2 DaysLast 3 DaysLast 4 DaysLast 5 DaysLast Week

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech Adding RKE - Problems... Welcome, bocoogto.
You last visited: Yesterday at 10:07 PM
User CPPhoto GalleryFAQMembers ListCalendarNew PostsSearch vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); Quick Links vbmenu_register("usercptools"); Used CarsMy Recent Topics vbmenu_register("navbar_activetopics"); GarageVendor DirectoryLog Out

Noticesbocoogto, Due to the increase in forum PM spam/scams, we are putting further restrictions on new member accounts. New members will no longer be able to use the Private Messaging functions until you have made 10+ posts AND have been a member for 10+ days. This will allow sufficient time to discourage the ill willed folks as well as give the staff time to catch and ban those people meeting the profile of a spammer and/or spam-bot. We are sorry for any inconvenience this causes you. Sincerely, BlazerForum.com Staff

Go to Page...
//google_protectAndRun("render_ads.js::google_render _ad", google_handleError, google_render_ad);Ads by Google
Remote ControlBlazerEllos Blazer DameRemote KeylessKeyless Entry Lock

Thread Tools vbmenu_register("threadtools"); Search this Thread vbmenu_register("threadsearch"); Rate Thread vbmenu_register("threadrating"); #1
01-08-2010, 11:57 AM
latunguley vbmenu_register("postmenu_284627", true);

Adding RKE - Problems...
I recently installed a Remote keyless entry receiver in my 2000 s-10 blazer that had factory door locks but did not have factory remote keyless entry, I found many web pages that contained articles on installing a RKE receiver into a 2000 era s-10 blazer, so i followed the advice given on the web pages, installed the rke receiver up under my lower left under dash and just simply plugged it into the existing wire plug already there. Tried many times to follow key fob programming, no luck, so i searched even more. Found that it one is to install the Body Control Module from a blazer that had remote keyless entry it would already be programmed in the body control module?? One problem? When one is to install the body control module from another blazer (Passlock) shuts down the fuel pump from pumping fuel. So i went to a local GM dealer and let them install the body control module. The dumb **** erased the included program and re-entered a program for my VIN number. Stupid! Now i am right where i started from. Please!? Is there anyone that knows of this kind of installation that can please shed some light on this matter? Please!
latunguleyView Public ProfileSend email to latunguleyVisit latunguley's homepage!Find all posts by latunguleyAdd latunguley to Your Contacts

01-08-2010, 11:59 AM
swartlkk vbmenu_register("postmenu_284629", true);
Administrator
1974 Chevrolet K Blazer
My Garage Join Date: May 2005

What did you expect the dealership to do...? They can enable the RKE in your BCM if you were to let them know that is what you need them to do. They would simply need the VIN from a vehicle so equiped to get the proper programming and away they would go.

This thread should shed sufficient light on your situation:
How to: Keyless Entry!!

BTW, I am going to move this thread out of this very old discussion and rather link to it for reference.

My Restoration Projects<--personal site - 1974 K5 Blazer Build Thread
Contribute --> Post your ignition switch experiences:
Anatomy of the Ignition Switch

swartlkkView Public ProfileVisit swartlkk's homepage!Find all posts by swartlkkAdd swartlkk to Your Contacts

01-08-2010, 11:30 PM
midnightbluS10 vbmenu_register("postmenu_284802", true);

It's all pretty simple. I did the entire job for $20-30 and 30 or so minutes of my time.

You need the BCM from a Blazer with keyless entry. You also need the airbag module from the same donor vehicle. The airbag module is under the carpet, at the rear of the center console. Swap both in. The passlock job is simple. Make sure your battery is fully charged, as you have to leave the key turned forward for about 30 minutes.

Quote:
Tech Tips: Perform the Passlock learn procedure as follows:
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes.
6. The fourth time the engine is cranked, it should start and run.
I had to crank mine multiple times before it would start. If you don't swap in the airbag module, your airbag light will be on and your airbags will not work. I've been wondering if the same thing happens when the dealership programs a new VIN(one from a truck with keyless entry) into your BCM. You get the same results. The VIN from the BCM and SDM(air bag module) do not match and will not communicate. Throws code B1001.

Now you need to program the remote(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8930

1. With the driver door closed, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
4. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
5. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
6. Release the power unlock button on the door panel. The remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner in order to indicate that the receiver is in the programming mode:

6.1. Locking the doors
6.2. Unlocking the doors

IMPORTANT: All extra transmitters must be programmed at this time. When a new transmitter is programmed, the old transmitters will be deactivated.

7. Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter until the remote control door lock receiver will respond in the following manner:

7.1. Locking the doors.
7.2. Unlocking the doors.

8. Repeat step 7 for each additional transmitter.
9. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to exit the transmitter programming mode.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:07 PM   #26

Today, I called local repair shops and they said the programming must be done by a GM dealer. I called the local GM dealer who said if they do it, cost would be $90+ and a big "if" on whether it would work.

The BCM (body control module) needs to be programmed to accept keyless remote.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #27
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Did your vehicle have an RKE originally?
This is the actual procedure on replacing everything right from my GM Service manual. If you did not have RKE originally though, you may have to program the BCM:
-Remove the left-side instrument panel sound insulator.
-Disconnect the electrical connector.
-Remove the remote control door lock receiver from the instrument panel sound insulator by unsnapping it.
-Install the remote control door lock receiver to the instrument panel sound insulator by snapping it into place.
-Connect the electrical connector.
-Install the left-side instrument panel sound insulator.
-Reprogram the transmitters.
-Test the operation of the system.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:10 AM   #28

See post #18 above. The first sentence says the Blazer did not have factory remote keyless entry.

I've now found information from other forums that suggest the dealer "may" be able to reprogram the BCM. As I said, I called our local GM dealer who said they are not always successful in reprogramming to add options.

The other choice is replacing the BCM and SDM (air bag module) from the same vehicle that the RKE came from. I believe I can still get this from the junked '01, but I have no idea what the yard will charge for these parts--nor do I know where they're located in the Blazer.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #29
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

BCM is driver kick panel i beleive, the air bag module is underneath the center console towards the back under the carpet.

Depending on the cost of the units from the wreckers, im thinking it may end up being cheaper for you to just buy a universal keyless entry system for $50 off of eBay...

Last edited by K Dawg ONE; 08-18-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
S-clusive ohio pres.

why cant u just get a remote and have them hook the tech 2 up to it and reprogram the bcm to the remote like they should?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #31

I've installed the RKE (remote receiver) and have a pair of remotes with the same FCC code. The Blazer's computer does not recognize the RKE added from another vehicle. Can a dealer program the system without changing the BCM?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM   #32
CDN 2WD 2Gen 4-Door!

Like snoplow said, a dealer should be able to flash the BCM with the tech 2 to accept the RKE.

Also, again, I know its a small detail, but, the FCC codes are irrelavent...its the part numbers that matter...ive got a Rendevouz remote in my desk with the same FCC number as my Blazer remote and trust me, it doesnt work on my truck, lol!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:45 PM   #33

Don't any non-GM repair guys have the Tech II unit to program computers in cars? At $100 per hour, it won't be practical to have GM do it.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #34
Registered Hoosier

Some independent shops have tech 2, or other scan tool with flash programming. I have an OTC Genisys , which has optional SPS programming.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #35

Does changing the options require the VIN of the donor vehicle like some have suggested?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:04 PM   #36
Registered Hoosier

Some bcms lock, and cannot be reprogrammed. They must be replaced. I am not sure if s10 falls in that group. If you used a different vin, it would not match the vin in other modules, like sir, pcm, radio, etc. That is why you have to program an RDS radio, to match the stored vin to the other modules
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.