97 Blazer-4wd blowing fuses? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

97 Blazer-4wd blowing fuses?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #1

97 Blazer-4wd blowing fuses?

My 97 has blown about 4 fuses thus far for the 4X4. Problem is,when you put a new fuse in,everything works fine for a little while(like maybe a few days). It's the next time you go to use it after you haven't for a while that you find it's blown. Is it the actuator or some kind of electrical issue?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Mine Sweeper!

User is: OffLine
Re: 97 Blazer-4wd blowing fuses?

is it a push button 4wd or a lever you hafto actuate?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by juddspaintballs
is it a push button 4wd or a lever you hafto actuate?
It's a push button
Old 03-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #4

Question Re: 97 Blazer-4wd blowing fuses?

Been gone for a few weeks. It happened again the other day when it snowed. Tried to get 4 HI and the 4HI button flashed a few times then nothing.Did it again,same thing-flashed then nothing. Then tried it again,just a click. Checked fuse,its blown.Put in a new fuse-went right to 4 HI like its supposed to. Nobody's had a similiar problem?
Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 PM   #5

Mine does that too, except the fuse is fine, unless there is another fuse.

I actually parked mine (technically my wife did it because it's hers) with 4lo engaged. It sat for a week until I drove it again and it didn't want to come out of 4 lo for about 15-20 minutes of driving, then I got it into 2HI and now 4lo and 4hi don't seem to work. Sometimes the 2hi button is lit up, sometimes not. Sometimes when I push the 4hi button they all flash and go right back to 2hi, sometimes nothing happens and it just stays in 2hi.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:59 PM   #6

User is: OffLine

I had a problem with the 4wd computer connector corroding. I would hear constant relay clicking as I was driving, and the 4wd lights would flash. Took me a while to figure out where the computer was at. Once I did, I took it out and noticed corrosion on the terminal connector. Wire brushed and greased them, and haven't had a problem since.

Point being, corroded terminal may be your culprit too.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #7

I am having the same problem. Every time I hit 4HI, the light on the button and my cluster and interior lights go out as well, all because it blew the fuse out.

I keep researching that it might be the front axle actuator, or maybe a short in the line somewhere.

What someone told me: buy a circuit breaker for it.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

I had the same thing happen to my 96 Jimmy. It was the encoder motor. It is on the transfer case and it actualy shifts the case when you push the button. the dealer wanted 500.00 plus labor. I got a GM one for about 250.00 and it took about 1 hour to put in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.