2002 Blazer Rear Hatch Won't Open - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

2002 Blazer Rear Hatch Won't Open

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 11:34 PM   #1

Question 2002 Blazer Rear Hatch Won't Open

I'm looking for a little assistance to get my rear window open. The external button and dash button won't pop open the rear window. And since I can't get the window open, I can't open the tailgate, therefore I can't remove the trim panel to get at the lock mechanism. Does anyone have any clue on how to release the rear window?? I've found this post that tells me to use an allen key to push something. ( http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=221567 )
I've tried poking at everything, the window doesn't budge.
I can hear the actuator working. I think it's the cheap plastic piece that prostreetgmc has a problem with. Any suggestions, pictures, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by pquinn; 12-01-2004 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
strip rat

User is: OffLine
Re: 2002 Blazer Rear Hatch Won't Open

Do you have the tailgate hanlde on the inside of the gate? You might be able to jimmy something around in the handle access.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:41 AM   #3
I'm probably drunk.

make sure the tailgate is closed all the way

an ex-gf of mine couldnt get hers open for a while

her tailghate was opened just a crack, and it wasnt letting the window unlatch from the tailgate

hope this helps
Old 12-06-2004, 12:47 AM   #4
Now owns an S-10

Ok i just bought a 96 blazer, and i have the opposite problem (sort of).
Whenever i go to park after driving, and i throw the shifter from drive to either Neutral, Reverse, or Park, my rear window gets released. So everytime i get out of the vehicle, i have to close the rear window. Then when i go to get back in the truck, i put the key in my door to unlock the truck, i hear the rear window pop when i turn the key to unlock. So i walk back to close the hatch, come back to my open door and hit the unlock (power locks) my pass. door to let my buddy in, and sure as hell the rear window pops again! Man was i pissed! And come to find out, the button on the dash to pop the rear window doesnt work at all. so i'm guessing the wiring got crossed somewhere??? anyone have any clue at all?? i'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow when i get home from work.

Oh, and sorry to whore the thread Pquinn
Old 12-06-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Got keyless door handles?

Problem: On the inside of the door at the end of the actuator there is a plastic piece that connects to the rod. If you can get the carpet off the tailgate cover there is a hole you can reach in and hit the rod. Be Careful! doing this is a bitch and I ended up breaking my cover. Take it to the dealer and have it done under warranty. If they break it they buy it.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:59 AM   #6
Yes that Sh Sh Shit

Quote: Originally Posted by Lowsonoma03
Ok i just bought a 96 blazer, and i have the opposite problem (sort of).
Whenever i go to park after driving, and i throw the shifter from drive to either Neutral, Reverse, or Park, my rear window gets released. So everytime i get out of the vehicle, i have to close the rear window. Then when i go to get back in the truck, i put the key in my door to unlock the truck, i hear the rear window pop when i turn the key to unlock. So i walk back to close the hatch, come back to my open door and hit the unlock (power locks) my pass. door to let my buddy in, and sure as hell the rear window pops again! Man was i pissed! And come to find out, the button on the dash to pop the rear window doesnt work at all. so i'm guessing the wiring got crossed somewhere??? anyone have any clue at all?? i'm gonna take a look at it tomorrow when i get home from work.

Oh, and sorry to whore the thread Pquinn
that sucks big time but actually sounds like a epsisode from the family guy or something
Old 12-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #7
Now owns an S-10

mmkay, thank for the help
Old 12-08-2004, 01:09 AM   #8
strip rat

Can i buy your envoy bumper lowsonoma?
Old 12-13-2004, 11:12 PM   #9
Saweeeeeeet

I have a 2001 Jimmy. Don't let the sig fool ya lost my blue toy on Oct. 30 when some ass ran a red light. So anyways picked up a 01 Jimmy and in my book it says if you can't get the back window to open up. Under the handel on the plastic cover you pull some of the carpet back and there is a little hole you stick a flat blade screwdrier threw and then turn it to the right to release the back window. This should work for yours since its a 02. Also mine is the 2 door and has inside the back on the driver side. hope this info helps if you need more help PM me or IM me on Rerfourth25 on aol.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #10

Cool Re: 2002 Blazer Rear Hatch Won't Open

Thanks for all the replies.
I finally got it open....
I tried the access hole... but the part that I was pushing on was the plastic hook that was broken. I used a heavy duty coat hanger to push down on the release lever from the inside top part of the window. I rigged up 2 plastic cable ties to do the trick, works great now. Only bad part of the whole adventure was breaking one of the plastic guides for the tailgate release. That will teach me to play with plastic parts when it is 10° outside.

If anyone needs I took pictures of the process.

-pquinn

Last edited by pquinn; 12-15-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by pquinn
Thanks for all the replies.
I finally got it open....
I tried the access hole... but the part that I was pushing on was the plastic hook that was broken. I used a heavy duty coat hanger to push down on the release lever from the inside top part of the window. I rigged up 2 plastic cable ties to do the trick, works great now. Only bad part of the whole adventure was breaking one of the plastic guides for the tailgate release. That will teach me to play with plastic parts when it is 10° outside.

If anyone needs I took pictures of the process.

-pquinn
You still got the photos?

Mine just went out, so anyone else who's changed the release/opened the hatch, please explain how you did it and the parts cost.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM   #12
T.J.O.C. - president

The 'two part' (raising window and lowing tailgate) on the latest Blazers and Jimmys suffer from the lack of a MECHANICAL release for the window...for emergencies

I have never had the problem of the electric solenoid not releasing the window (yet) - but, it is interesting that I had already planned to make an inside emergency release for the glass anyway! The problem for me, is that my 2005 Jimmy is obviously STILL under WARRANTY!

However, I figure, by studying pictures of the door mechanism that I saw in a borrowed mechanic's manual, that you should be able to rig a 'pull' cord out of some heavy braided flat fabric - to loop loosely around the bar that releases the window latch - that's the bar that the solenoid pulls on to release it...if you want to make it look a bit more stock, you could BUY a part similar to the ones used on the new cars with interior trunk emergency releases - which is a small 'loop handle' with a cord attached - and rig it up to the bar that releases the glass...

Then, push the new pull cord out through a SMOOTHED EDGE hole a bit lower on the tailgate - away from the latch mechanism at an angle...

Then, just tuck the loop of the pull cord UNDER the carpeting on the tailgate - out of sight...

Important to remember that however you intend to attach the loop to the release bar inside the tailgate:
=> it must NOT be able to slide along the bar or get caught in the mechanism, by vibration!
=> it must be fastened to the release bar so that it stays fixed in the proper position to actuate the bar (ie: use a bit of twisted wire epoxied onto the bar or drill a tiny hole so that you can wire the end of the pull cord to the proper place on the release bar!

I intend to DO THAT, as soon as my warranty has expired!

Greetings from snowy Toronto!

(T.J.O.C. - the TORONTO JIMMY OWNER'S CLUB)
====== website: http://tjoc3.tripod.com/ ======
= Canada-only 2-door 4x4 Jimmys from 2002-2005 =
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.