1998 Blazer won't start - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1998 Blazer won't start

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #1

1998 Blazer won't start

I have 1998 Chevy Blazer, with a 4.3 Vortec and 172K miles. I had the fuel pump replaced about 6 months ago, and then replaced the fuel filter because it was having trouble starting. Well after doing those repairs it started and ran pretty good. But now it won't start again. I took it back to where I had the fuel pump replaced and they told me the fuel pressure was fine, so the pump is not the problem.

I would like help in fuguring out where to look next. Oh, the mechanic also said he ran a diagnostic on it and it came back with a code of P0452.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 1998 Blazer won't start

P0452 Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input
Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by BullFrog
Thanks, Bullfrog... Any ideas what I should be checking or parts I need to replace?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #4

Now I went out this morning to look at it again, and now it won't start even when I spray strting fluid into the injection system... HELP.....
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 AM   #5

Have you checked to make sure you're getting a spark?
Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
Molon Labe

Quote: Originally Posted by BullFrog
¿Cómo se dice que en inglés por favor?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:14 PM   #7

yeh, it was starting before when I would put starting fluid into the fuel injectors, and nothing had changed, and now it won't even start..... I'm just trying to figure out what I need to check, and/or try replacing to get it starting again...

Quote: Originally Posted by a_magoo
Have you checked to make sure you're getting a spark?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by tmlopez
yeh, it was starting before when I would put starting fluid into the fuel injectors, and nothing had changed, and now it won't even start..... I'm just trying to figure out what I need to check, and/or try replacing to get it starting again...

Okay, I figured out that I had to spray more carb cleaner into the fuel injectors to get it started. I can get it o start by spraying carb cleaner into the jets, and once it starts and is warmed up, it will continue to start. But once it cools down, it won't start again unless I spray carb cleaner into the jets again. I had the fuel pressure checked and its at 55 psi. Someone told me it might be the fuel pressure regulator, but I really didn't want to spend 55.00 on something unless I felt more strongly about it. Oh, I've also already replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and plugs, and had the fuel pump and fuel filter replcaed in the last year.

I'm looking for any help I can get here.... Thanks
Old 07-18-2007, 08:31 PM   #9

Okay, I figured out that I had to spray more carb cleaner into the fuel injectors to get it started. I can get it o start by spraying carb cleaner into the jets, and once it starts and is warmed up, it will continue to start. But once it cools down, it won't start again unless I spray carb cleaner into the jets again. I had the fuel pressure checked and its at 55 psi. Someone told me it might be the fuel pressure regulator, but I really didn't want to spend 55.00 on something unless I felt more strongly about it. Oh, I've also already replaced the rotor, distributor cap, and plugs, and had the fuel pump and fuel filter replcaed in the last year.

I'm looking for any help I can get here.... Thanks
last i checked, 55psi is kind of at the low end for these to start, I like to see over 60psi..........
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by 04Xtreme
last i checked, 55psi is kind of at the low end for these to start, I like to see over 60psi..........
Well, the guy that replaced the fuel pump was the one who checked the fuel pressure and said it was okay... I think he said it was 55 psi.. maybe he said 65psi.. Anyways, he told me something about a TSB on the fuel injection, but I was a bit leary because he said it would beabout 800.00 to repair. I've seen some other remarks from people with similiar problems and was wondering if replacing the fuel send unit, or fuel pressure regulator might fix my problem.
Old 07-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #11

Well, the guy that replaced the fuel pump was the one who checked the fuel pressure and said it was okay... I think he said it was 55 psi.. maybe he said 65psi.. Anyways, he told me something about a TSB on the fuel injection, but I was a bit leary because he said it would beabout 800.00 to repair. I've seen some other remarks from people with similiar problems and was wondering if replacing the fuel send unit, or fuel pressure regulator might fix my problem.

Is there any chance that a faulty temperature sensor would cause this to happen? I just remembered that I have a bad temperature sensor... I'm going to replace it today and se if it makes any difference.
Old 07-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
IZ

dam every one is having this problem .........must be very common my shit is sitting for the same reason it wont start unles i sppray carb cleaner in the intake
Old 07-31-2007, 11:01 PM   #13

Is there any chance that a faulty temperature sensor would cause this to happen? I just remembered that I have a bad temperature sensor... I'm going to replace it today and se if it makes any difference.

OK, I replaced the temp sensor.... Didn't make any difference (didn't think it would)...

okay, I was told that maybe cleaning the inside of the throttle body might help... How do you get the throttle body opened?
Old 08-03-2007, 01:32 AM   #14
Extended cab or no cab.

im not sure how much this will help your problem, but my truck wasnt starting last night either.

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/m...lution-307980/
Old 08-08-2007, 10:14 AM   #15

I just developed the exact same symptoms with my 97 4 door 4wd Blazer w/ 4.3.
No trouble codes, it just won't start cold unless i put starting fluid in throttle body. My fuel pressure is 55, which is at the low end of the acceptable range. Whover figures it out first PLEASE post the solution.

If anyone has a link or other info about the fuel injection TSB, please post that as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #16

I had a simular problem on a holder blazer i replaced the fuel pump relay and it cured my problem. If that doesnt work check the wiring going the injector to make sure it is getting enough power to work correctly.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by SgtScrounge
I just developed the exact same symptoms with my 97 4 door 4wd Blazer w/ 4.3.
No trouble codes, it just won't start cold unless i put starting fluid in throttle body. My fuel pressure is 55, which is at the low end of the acceptable range. Whover figures it out first PLEASE post the solution.

If anyone has a link or other info about the fuel injection TSB, please post that as well.
OK, I figured my problem out. I was having the symptoms everyone else was having- on a cold engine, no start without starting fluid in the TB. It would start back up if it was warm, but if you waited too long, you would need starting fluid again. It wasn't throwing trouble codes, my fuel pressure was 55-56 psi, the fuel filter was installed about 3 months and 8K miles ago, cap and rotor are new

I installed the fuel injection conversion, and once I put it all back together it started right up, but now I have a new problem.
The check engine light is flashing, indicating a severe misfire. The code is a P0303 only, so it is just cylinder 3. Also, I can hear popping and pinging in the exhaust, which i think is unburned fuel from cylinder #3.

When I had the upper plenum off, I sprayed all of the fuel injector passage and the inside of the manifold with carb cleaner and SeaFoam, so the plug could just be fouled. I am going to pull the plug out tonight and inspect it.

Anyone have any other ideas ? I verified that the wire is connected properly at both ends, and the wires are only 5 months old.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 AM   #18

Quote: Originally Posted by SgtScrounge
OK, I figured my problem out. I was having the symptoms everyone else was having- on a cold engine, no start without starting fluid in the TB. It would start back up if it was warm, but if you waited too long, you would need starting fluid again. It wasn't throwing trouble codes, my fuel pressure was 55-56 psi, the fuel filter was installed about 3 months and 8K miles ago, cap and rotor are new

I installed the fuel injection conversion, and once I put it all back together it started right up, but now I have a new problem.
The check engine light is flashing, indicating a severe misfire. The code is a P0303 only, so it is just cylinder 3. Also, I can hear popping and pinging in the exhaust, which i think is unburned fuel from cylinder #3.

When I had the upper plenum off, I sprayed all of the fuel injector passage and the inside of the manifold with carb cleaner and SeaFoam, so the plug could just be fouled. I am going to pull the plug out tonight and inspect it.

Anyone have any other ideas ? I verified that the wire is connected properly at both ends, and the wires are only 5 months old.
Switched the plug, but that wasn't it. Found a disconnected vac line back by the distributor which could be the problem, but I can't figure out where it goes. The vac actuator line is in the right place, the the line to the vac reservoir is OK, but this 3rd mystery line has me stumped. Anyone know where I can find a vac line diagram for this truck ??
Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #19
King Tut

Haha 3.5 year old thread bump but here goes!! Having same exact problem....any fixes? Any luck??!!

THANKS!!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:57 AM   #20

My Blazer wont start all the time. but will randomly start I just put a new fuel pump in, because I jumped the relay to put power to it and it wouldnt run. The new pump runs when I do this and will start with the jumper wire in. I switched the fuel pump relay with another, not the relay. wondering what turns on the relay? Ecu or another sensor?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:26 PM   #21

This is from memory here but, if it serves:

The oil pressure switch keeps the relay on, but the ecu should energize the fuel pump rly for a few seconds after the key is turned to the ON position, and then again when the key is turned to Start. After that, it is maintained by the oil pressure switch.

I have the 97 set of service manuals, if you want more info let me know and I can look it up for ya.

HTH
Wilson
Old 01-28-2011, 11:33 PM   #22

Something else to check, without spraying anything in the intake, press and hold the accelerator to the floor. Then turn the key on, and crank on the engine. If it starts, let off of the gas, see if you can keep it running. If it does not start, keep cranking for about 30 seconds total. Stop. Turn off the key.

Now connect your battery charger, and put it on a good 10-50A cook. Go to the rear, and sniff your tailpipe. Do you smell gas? Take a break and have a beer (let the starter cool down).

A few minutes later, take the charger back off, and this time try to start the truck normally. If it does not fire, keep cranking for 30-45 seconds. Immediately stop and sniff your tailpipe. Do you smell gas?

If you do, your fuel system is mostlikely fine, and you should be looking into an ignition issue.

If you do not smell gas, then you have a fuel delivery problem. Try using a test light on the injector wires while cranking, they should blink regularly while cranking.

HTH2!
Wilson
Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #23

Bump!! 1 year old thread, any fixes? I have a similar issue with a 2000 Blazer.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 PM   #24

i had the same problem and it turnd out to be vacum lines. they dont cost much and it only takes about 15 mins to replace all of them. give it a try. it worked for me.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:56 PM   #25

jtreehorn, when the truck won't start do you notice that the weather outside is usually cold or damp? Once the truck starts does it start fine for the rest of the day? or until it sits over night? When you turn the ignition to on without starting the engine, do you hear the fuel pump energize? If so, i would really consider looking at purchasing a new distributor cap and possibly plug wires. Even if you have already replaced the distributor cap in the past, I would consider replacing it again if it is an aftermarket part. I had the same problem, chased the issue through the ignition system, replaced a bunch of parts, only to find out that the cap again was the issue. The aftermarket distributor caps seem to not seat properly and thus allow moisture under the cap. Remove the cap, if you see carbon tracking (white/greenish marks on the underside of the cap) I would bet that is the issue. Hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #26

I've got a 98 bravada with the 4.3l vortec with and EDI (Enhanced Distributor Ignition) system and after replacing the cap and rotor before it got below 40 and it ran fine. Replaced the plugs and wires when it got a little colder and about 2weeks ago its been doing the same thing. Has 142k miles, no fule pump, coil, tps, egr, etc replaced nor did I test the fuel press. Runs fine the rest of the day until I try to start before work when cold, but I don't need starting fluid. I act like I'm priming the fuel system, turn tto run, let fp cycle, key off for 7 to 13 secs, then to run again and repeat 4x. It'll try to start and stumbles a bit before it starts running. During warmup I can't rev it up without te engine stumbling like crazy, but atfer warmup it runs fine.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #27

Quote: Originally Posted by kmsprague
I've got a 98 bravada with the 4.3l vortec with and EDI (Enhanced Distributor Ignition) system and after replacing the cap and rotor before it got below 40 and it ran fine. Replaced the plugs and wires when it got a little colder and about 2weeks ago its been doing the same thing. Has 142k miles, no fule pump, coil, tps, egr, etc replaced nor did I test the fuel press. Runs fine the rest of the day until I try to start before work when cold, but I don't need starting fluid. I act like I'm priming the fuel system, turn tto run, let fp cycle, key off for 7 to 13 secs, then to run again and repeat 4x. It'll try to start and stumbles a bit before it starts running. During warmup I can't rev it up without te engine stumbling like crazy, but atfer warmup it runs fine.
Also I've had it scanned and it came up with the two rear abs and speed sensors, due to running 75r15s instead of 70s like on the front, which can hurt an awd vehicle I later found out, and the downstream 02 sensor showed low voltage. This is my first newer vehicle, I've only owned up to 88 and not a chevy....yea I know, insert boos and hisses here lol
Old 11-26-2012, 04:48 PM   #28

Anyone find any fixes to this issue other than going to a mechanic? Replaced a few vac lines but since my vac diagram is missing under the hood I need the diagrams. Also I've got an EDI ignition, or the 4.3l W engine. I didn't see any vac lines near the distributor, just the crankshaft positon sensor. Last scan, 2weeks ago, showed all the prior codes and the heater for downstream o2 sensor bad and map sensor had issues too, that's the cheapest on amazon though, 40 instead of 75 at advance auto parts
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #29

Have a 1998 4.3l blazer, has the same no start issue. Before i started maintenance procedures you could pour a little gas in the carb and it would fire up, but with a low RPM hesitation then clears up when revved...Replaced head gaskets had heads shaved, new intake gaskets, pulled out spider injection for inspection. Cleaned all build up inside the intake and replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator. Checked for proper fuel pressure 62PSI (60-65PSI) rating. Replaced fuel pump last year and put a fuel filter on as well. Pulled the EGR valve, TPS, IAC and carb cleaned these as well. pulled distributor cap n cleaned all the points up. PLUGS are clean and sparking and FUEL properly builds up in the system. I can pour gas in carb and get it to run until the gas i poured in it burns up and it dies... Run an OBII test and no codes are faulted...........Im completely lost. Have too much money in it to give up. Seems like such a simple fix for it to plague everybody. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.