1998 Blazer revs at Idle - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1998 Blazer revs at Idle

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 2nd Gen Forums > Blazer / Bravada / Jimmy / Envoy
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2005, 11:27 AM   #1

1998 Blazer revs at Idle

Blazer is randomly reving at stop signs while in drive and also while in park. Ideas?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
ZR2 member

User is: OffLine
Re: 1998 Blazer revs at Idle

Dirty injectors
Weak pump
Clogged filter
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #3

Messed with the throttle body or anything lately?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:35 PM   #4

No changes to throttle body. I have had suggestions that IAC may need cleaning. Also, had one person say that AC low on freon caused their blazer to rev every 5-10 seconds. Thanks for help.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #5

If the A/C is off at the time, it shouldn't cause it to rev.
Is the idle just coming up when you stop or is it surging up and down, up and down? I agree if the IAC is dirty it could cause a surging idle.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:36 AM   #6

Yes, it is as you describe. It surges up and down every 5 or 10 seconds while stopped. It hasn't been noticeable while driving. My son is driving the vehicle, so I won't see it until the weekend. The AC idea made some sense as it was very poor cooling last fall. Also, doesn't the AC get involved in some other air flow settings which might be in use now? I was planning on pulling the AC fuse first and then seeing about getting at the IAC. Would you suggest replacing the IAC or is a good cleaner a good choice?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:05 AM   #7

The A/c compressor kicks on whenever you're in A/C or defrost. So yes defrost setting will engage the compressor and may drag the motor down. Pull the IAC valve and clean it out real good with a carb cleaner, and while you're at it clean out the bore in the throttle body where it sets and see if that helps any. Also check for any vacuum leaks as well.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:07 PM   #8

Thanks for help and advice. The problem is the AC. Not sure yet what is wrong with AC, could be low coolant, I suppose. Determined it was the AC by pulling the 10 amp fuse for the AC. Problem immediately went away and didn't return again until fuse was plugged back in. The air setting was on defrost and that was causing the AC to try to engage.

Visually, it looks like the AC clutch is engaging every few seconds and then kicking out again. Little to no cool air is coming out. Any thoughts on the AC? Imagine I will need to have that serviced, but it would be good to know if you think it is coolant, if they suggest something more drastic with the AC.

Blazer is back at college again, so I won't see it for a while. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM   #9

Probably just low on freon. You can get a do-it-yourself kit at Wal-Mart or any auto parts store to recharge your system yourself. Be sure to get freon with stop-leak in it. You should be able to get all this for about $20. The directions will be easy to follow. If this doesn't work, then you should take it to a mechanic to have it looked at, but not before trying to remedy it yourself.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:28 PM   #10

Same problem here, ended up cleaning the mafs and it stoped, but mine did it when a/c was off so different case i guess
Old 07-08-2005, 01:45 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by Vsandme
Same problem here, ended up cleaning the mafs and it stoped, but mine did it when a/c was off so different case i guess
mine does the exact same thing with air off, Vsandme what is mafs where are they i have a 95 blazer and its driving me nuts
Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 AM   #12

Blazerboy, 98 blazer isnt tbi, csfi
Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM   #13
ZR2 member

Quote: Originally Posted by Vsandme
Blazerboy, 98 blazer isnt tbi, csfi
But they have a throttle body on them.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:53 PM   #14

I CANT BELEIVE nobody mentioned egr valve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.