ZQ8 suspension... is it the best for handling - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

ZQ8 suspension... is it the best for handling

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #1

ZQ8 suspension... is it the best for handling

ZQ8 suspension... is it the best for handling or is there a different stock suspension that i could use and get better handling .. i already have the full poly bushing kit for front and rear and body, and the zq8 front and rear sway bars.... but should i also get the front and rear springs too or should i try a different set up? i would like to try to use all OEM parts if possible
Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
Wildcard

User is: Online
Re: ZQ8 suspension... is it the best for handling

OEM, yes I'd go with ZQ8. Outside of OEM I'm sure there's better.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #3

Changing suspension is a compromise on ride quality and payload etc which is not necessarily a bad thing,it depends on how much you are willing to compromise.The ZQ8 suspension is imo a good compromise to achieve better handling with out sarifacing the ride or usefulness of your truck.Also by using the gm parts you are getting a proven setup that works with quality parts which isn't always the case with some aftermarket stuff.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
ASE certified MasterTech

User is: OffLine

Dont forget though, ZQ8 was not just suspension, you also got quick ratio steering and ext cabs got a frame brace.
ZQ8 in a 2nd generation is different than the first gen ZQ8.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

yes i have 2nd gen parts and i am getting the frame brace .. already have the dual piston front caliber swap answer rear disc swap.. just need the steering box and springs now... what about shocks? anyone have a preference for handling?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #6

well since you already have the zq8 stuff use it, but if you really wanted good stuff the qa1 setup is pretty good, i have their 550 springs and adjustable shocks on my reg cab 4.3 and they are better than the zq8 stuff. but they are also more expensive
Old 05-10-2012, 12:42 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by baggedzq8
well since you already have the zq8 stuff use it, but if you really wanted good stuff the qa1 setup is pretty good, i have their 550 springs and adjustable shocks on my reg cab 4.3 and they are better than the zq8 stuff. but they are also more expensive
what is the qa1 stuff? where can i get it? what all parts are entailed?
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

coilover shocks for the front. If you're on a budget, the zq8 stuff will have you out corner stis and evos on good rubber. more than that and you're looking at coilover fronts, revised steering arms, possibly adjustable control arms and a good road race link suspension rear or independent rear from a vette. frame bracing too, like an X brace under the box and K brace in front of the engine really helps too. but you're getting into a lot of money and time at that point.

GM (the username on here) has the full zq8 suspension on his truck minus a different set of coils and with 18s and good rubber he's having a lot of fun. I'm sure for a while you'll have plenty of that before you think about upgrading.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #9

There were some other steering boxes the had the same ratio as the ZQ8,the Z28 camaro and some fire birds to name a couple.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by benster
coilover shocks for the front. If you're on a budget, the zq8 stuff will have you out corner stis and evos on good rubber. more than that and you're looking at coilover fronts, revised steering arms, possibly adjustable control arms and a good road race link suspension rear or independent rear from a vette. frame bracing too, like an X brace under the box and K brace in front of the engine really helps too. but you're getting into a lot of money and time at that point.

GM (the username on here) has the full zq8 suspension on his truck minus a different set of coils and with 18s and good rubber he's having a lot of fun. I'm sure for a while you'll have plenty of that before you think about upgrading.

sweet thanks for the info... i jus ran across a complete 2001 extreme frame including rims and tires that im getting for $400!!! im going to slide that under my 88 body and work from there i think??
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by benster

the part in red isnt true...the zq8 stuff is good, but you won't out handle one of those cars. the weight bias is just too different. but it will handle very well for a truck. i have had my truck around VIR a few times and these trucks really need more spring rate in the front than the zq8 springs have. a 4.3 reg cab shortbed really needs 550-750in/lbs depending on how serious you get. i have 550s on my truck now and its pretty good but still needs more to be really good.

then there are the brakes, brakes are more important than speed if you want something that will handle. minimum upgrade should be the 2wd blazer front brakes, a lot bigger brake pad and dual pistons and slightly larger rotor. if you go to the SSBC 13in brakes then you will have to run 17s which runs the wheel weight up but gives you better tire choices, so its a consideration. I have always had my zq8s so idk how much it will affect the truck, they are underpowered as is so i can just imaging it wouldn't help it

better tires help a ton because thats what actually touches the road. if you wanted to autocross your truck toyo RA1 on some 16in zq8 wheels would be a good way to go. for normal street driving i really like the BFG G-Force Sport comp 2, great rain tire and they get good and sticky on the track when you heat them up and mileage is ~30k
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #12

here are a few pics of my truck

Old 05-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #13

sweet!!! thanks for all the info!!! jus what i needed to know!!!!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #14

Sorry to thread-jack, but are brake and suspension components from a second gen a direct swap to a first gen, are are modifications necessary? I ask because I need to get new shocks soon, and brakes in the not too distant future, and am curious if I should just get second gen parts.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #15

no modifications necessary for the front unless you are going with drop spindles, belltech is the only company i think that makes them for the 98+ 2wd blazers and they are like 350-400 for the drop spindles. if you do new calipers spend 20 bucks and do new rubber brake lines on the front.

if you plan on going to disc on the rear you need to change your proportioning valve as the stock stuff is designed for drums. i think if you have 4wheel abs you dont have to, but dont quote me on that. my s10 only had rear abs so i am doing away with it and getting a wilwood proportioning valve that has an adjuster built into it for the rear brakes
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #16

Thanks, Bagged. Mine is an '84, so no worries about ABS. Nor do I plan to convert to rear disk at this time. I do however plan to upgrade the front brakes and suspension, as much as I can without lowering.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:46 PM   #17

So, let me get this straight, I can go get a frame from a second gen and get it setup the way I want and just swap it to my first gen? I might try this.

Quick question, what is ZQ8?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #18
Thread Killer

Whoa! Where'd you get the shape-shifting grille?!
Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #19

two different track days
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #20

Baggedzq8, great looking truck, what size tires are on those ZQ8 wheels? They looked tucked more into the fender than what I've seen other 1st Gen S10s that have added ZQ8 wheels, or am I seeing things? lol
Old 05-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #21

well i have -1.5 degrees of neg camber so they lean a little bit but its misleading b/c the pics and the way it sits

the truck has 255/50/16 bfg g-force sport and they get nice and sticky when hot..not the perfect tire, but its a great street tire and excellent in the rain and not half bad on the track

thanks for the compliment
Old 05-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #22

here are some shots of the width, the front is flush with the chrome trim on thje fender even with -1.5 degrees, the rear sits in about 3/8-1/2in

Old 05-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #23

That is the look I want, nice! What drop does the truck have, 5/6?
Old 05-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
kdh

Quote: Originally Posted by Memphis S-10
So, let me get this straight, I can go get a frame from a second gen and get it setup the way I want and just swap it to my first gen? I might try this.

Quick question, what is ZQ8?

Dont think so. There was a 2nd gen build that i was following in the member projects part of the forum that had a 1st gen frame and the cab mounts didnt line up right.

ZQ8 is the factory sport springs, shocks and sway bars on s10s.

I have ZQ8 sway bars front and rear, plus steering box from a 2004 s10 xtreme pickup on my 92, but my shocks, leafs and springs are beltec.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #25

Quote: Originally Posted by 346ci
That is the look I want, nice! What drop does the truck have, 5/6?
3/3, the pics on the track are misleading b/c the way it leans in the corners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.