Wiper Arm Removal - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Wiper Arm Removal

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 03:03 AM   #1
Rapping Genie

Wiper Arm Removal

Hey,

I have to re-connect my sprayer hose to the spray nozzle, but to do htat I need to remove the wiper cowl, and to do that I need to remove the wiper arms.
I tried searching past forums, but none of those explanations made sense
I have a 92' Sonoma 4x4

Attached is a pic of the what looks to be a tab, any info on what to do and what tools to do with and where would be great:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 04:48 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Wiper Arm Removal

i just take a large flat head screw driver and pry them off...working my way around. not sure if this is the "technical" way. Ford really beat us on this aspect sad to say.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:07 PM   #3

Lift the arm up off of the windshield,. While holding it up, take a small screwdriver and pry the tab away from the arm. The tab only will move about 1/8th inch. Then release the arm....the tab will hold tha arm away from the windshield and allow You to just wiggle the base of the arm and pull it off...
Old 02-25-2004, 01:55 AM   #4
DTC built

take a pair of vise-grips and pull them straight off.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:01 AM   #5

arr shiver me tembers, pull thi focker off
Old 02-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #6

I don't know what the "tab" is that your talking about because none of the 1st gens i've ever worked on were like that.
The right way to take them off is to lift the arm up and stick a small nail or something in the hole in the wiper arm.Then just pull the arm off.
Attached Thumbnails
Wiper Arm Removal-cnxt0046.jpg  
Old 02-26-2004, 03:05 PM   #7

mine has a little tab also.. i could use my fingers to pull it out.. but u have to lift the wiper up beacuse when the tab is pulled out and stops the wiper from returning to the window again. i jsut did this exacpt same thing to my truck last week. before i never knew how to get the wiper off also. the tab should be right at where the wiper mounts to the spindle. look there u cant miss it. mine was silver
Old 07-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #8
Tj zitkovic

I have a 1996 s10. I'm trying to get mine off to reprint them. Would mine just pull off also or does mine have that tab?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #9

They should all have the tabs. I take a small flat blade screw driver and push the tab down as far as it will go......town towards the shaft.....yeah, I said it! LOL! Then I take a regular size flat blade screw driver and put it under the wiper arm and gently twist it so that one side of the blade pushes up on the bottom of the wiper arm, and the other side uses the base of the shaft for leverage....and it should start working it's way off. I have shot them clean off across the hood before; so be careful; or have someone hold onto the wiper arm while you do this so you don't scratch the paint. Also be careful not to slip and crack the windshield! LOL! Now, to put them back on I take a very small allen key that will fit through both holes in the wiper arm at the base......you have to push the wiper arm straight (the spring keeps it bent) in order to slide the allen key through. This will keep the wiper arm straight.....taking the tension off of it so that you can put it back on with out fighting the spring tension. Then, once you have the wiper arm all the way down on the shaft you pull the arm up off of the windshield and pull the allen key out.........pretty simple once you've done it. I didn't figure that one out until a year after I had the truck......and was doing it the hard way! LOL!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #10
Cruisin' old school.. '82

Also when prying it off the spine make sure to use a rag between the screwdriver (or other prying tool of choice) and the cowl so you don't end up chipping or scratching the paint.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
George Smith

they all have tabs you cans also use a pick tool that a 90 degree bend in it thats short stick it up in the tab and BANG they're off
Old 07-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Longbeds FTMFW

Pursuit has it 100% correct in the pic a few images up.

Lift the wiper arm till the holes in the arm and the arm's base align. Stick screwdriver or pic in. Then pull off. When you stick the pick or screwdriver through the hole, it disengages the tab from the spline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.