Windshield seal leaking... how to fix? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Windshield seal leaking... how to fix?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 AM   #1

Windshield seal leaking... how to fix?

So I brought the truck to a self wash place and the pressure from the sprayer lifted part of the seal on the windshield and caused a few drops of water to come through.

It looks like the windshield was replaced before and the seal itself was not put on that great.

What kind of sealant should I buy? I'm going to peel back parts of the seal ( or all of it ) and try to seal it all back up before it starts raining again on tuesday.

Any advise would be great.

-Henry
Old 05-19-2008, 03:20 AM   #2

Re: Windshield seal leaking... how to fix?

actually the rubber strip around the utside of the glass doesnt seal it, theres actually a urethane bed that seals the glass to the pinchweld.....so sealing betweeen the rubber strip and the a-pillar most likey wont do anything..

i used to do glass...

if you have access to a air compressor, get someone to blow the air around the edge of the windsheild from the inside, and put some soapy water on the outside, and where you see bubles is most likely the leak..

get poly urethane sealer, i think most parts stores should have it... comes in a tube for a caulking gun..by the way, it works best when the tube is hot.....

also where is the water comin in, it may be somethin else.. lie in the cowl vent or the kick panel vents..

Last edited by jarrodh; 05-19-2008 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 AM   #3

User is: OffLine

You might just want to find out how much a good glass shop will do it for. The hacks will just pile urethane in there and may never seal the leak then there is a mess. The urethane is also thick and does not flow. A good glass shop will have a liquid urethane that is used to seal leaks. It flows into the gaps and alows the air to be pushed out thus filling the area.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by jarrodh
actually the rubber strip around the utside of the glass doesnt seal it, theres actually a urethane bed that seals the glass to the pinchweld.....so sealing betweeen the rubber strip and the a-pillar most likey wont do anything..

i used to do glass...

if you have access to a air compressor, get someone to blow the air around the edge of the windsheild from the inside, and put some soapy water on the outside, and where you see bubles is most likely the leak..

get poly urethane sealer, i think most parts stores should have it... comes in a tube for a caulking gun..by the way, it works best when the tube is hot.....

also where is the water comin in, it may be somethin else.. lie in the cowl vent or the kick panel vents..
I wish I had brought the truck to work to get a better idea on what you are talking about.

What if I were to peel back the seal and fill it with some poly urethane sealer? I'm not familiar with windshields at all so I don't know exactly what you're talking about. How will water still get into the cab if that seal is completely sealed up?

At the carwash I had a few drips coming from above the drivers side sunvisor.

Also, I noticed a trickle of water that has come down the drivers side footwell on the left and has now soaked the carpet.

I have a small list of things to fix on this truck but I really love it so far.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by MadMikeZ28
You might just want to find out how much a good glass shop will do it for. The hacks will just pile urethane in there and may never seal the leak then there is a mess. The urethane is also thick and does not flow. A good glass shop will have a liquid urethane that is used to seal leaks. It flows into the gaps and alows the air to be pushed out thus filling the area.

I've had cracks repaired before but I've never had anything major done to the windshield on any vehicle I've owned so far. About how much should something like this cost? I'll see what I can do as a temporary fix but I may need to have someone professional fix it.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by HenryG
I wish I had brought the truck to work to get a better idea on what you are talking about.

What if I were to peel back the seal and fill it with some poly urethane sealer? I'm not familiar with windshields at all so I don't know exactly what you're talking about. How will water still get into the cab if that seal is completely sealed up?

At the carwash I had a few drips coming from above the drivers side sunvisor.

Also, I noticed a trickle of water that has come down the drivers side footwell on the left and has now soaked the carpet.

I have a small list of things to fix on this truck but I really love it so far.
we had cars brand new right off the lot that have factory leaks at the body seams in the cowl, and i mean big open holes.., the new mustangs around here were bad for that..

over the years,the urathane gets hard, and as the truck flex's and what not it may make a smal pinhole,and the high presure may have just found it and opened it up..

id recoment takin it to a glass shop and have them do it, itll end up lookin cleaner after its all done.. and as for the drip on the foot well, check the cowl drains downt he side of the cab.. take off the cowl, and get some wire and try to fish it down there, my truck had the same problem..
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 AM   #7

Even having a new windshield put in is about $150 around here. A leak repair prbly wouldn't be too much.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by jarrodh
we had cars brand new right off the lot that have factory leaks at the body seams in the cowl, and i mean big open holes.., the new mustangs around here were bad for that..

over the years,the urathane gets hard, and as the truck flex's and what not it may make a smal pinhole,and the high presure may have just found it and opened it up..

id recoment takin it to a glass shop and have them do it, itll end up lookin cleaner after its all done.. and as for the drip on the foot well, check the cowl drains downt he side of the cab.. take off the cowl, and get some wire and try to fish it down there, my truck had the same problem..
cowl come off with a few bolts? I'll take a look at it when I get home. It rained today so last night I sealed off the window seal really really well with electrical tape ( yes, it's pretty ghetto ), but I wanted to eliminate the seal as the problem. There is no way any water got underneath all that tape so if I find water in there today I'll suspect that it's from the cowl.

Hopefully it works and I didn't waste a roll of tape.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #9

a mobile glass company around me only charges 40. to come pull and install winshield.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:49 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by Odogg81Malibu
Even having a new windshield put in is about $150 around here. A leak repair prbly wouldn't be too much.
This is including the cost of the new windshield
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 AM   #11

I did the Windshield replacement with the worthy price and also got excellent service from Bulls Eye.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #12

i need to pull up this thread, if i pull off the plastic trim around the windshield i need to fix some small rust spots where the leaks around the window. should i just use a type of body filler i dont know what it looks like yet so id like to pull off the trim and fill what i can, right?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
Boozebag

In alot of cases, the reason for leaks is rust. The pinchweld (the area the windsheild fits into) rusts under the urethane and creates a leak. If you are planning to keep the truck for a long time, the way to fix the rust (almost permanently) is to pull the wshield - there are 2 specialized tools to do this, one is an L shaped blade on a handle with a pull handle attached to it, the other is a spade blade which is very expensive. Next - sand blast all rust, epoxy prime the bare metal, if there are any holes, fill them with JB Weld epoxy putty, sand the putty smooth. JB Weld is bullet proof. If you are careful, you can put the putty on smoothly. The next step is to use pinchweld primer - bonding primer for the urethane that the sheild sits on. Urethane comes in tubes for caulk guns. You have to cut a big 'V' in the applicator tube to get the right shape for the applied urethane. It looks like an upside down V. As the windsheild is set, it pushes the point of the V toward the pinchweld and spreads the urethane for a good seal. It helps to have 2 people to set the wsheild unless you have a big suction cup with a handle on it. On S10s, there is a rubber widsheild molding. This only fills the space between the wsheild and body. I glue this to the wsheild before I install the glass. You can buy it in a roll or precut. It makes the job alot cleaner if you put the strip on beofre installing the glass. BTW, wear those mechanic's vinyl gloves. The materials you use for this job will not come off. It will have to wear off of your hands.
I guess this is more than you expected, but at least you know what's involved. It's really not difficult, the biggest PIA is sandblasting the rust areas. Sandblasting is the only real way to get all of the rust out since it gets into the rust holes. Grinding only gets surface rust off. If there is any rust left, it WILL come back.
After all of this, you can do a quick fix with clear RTV silicone caulk. Seal the wsheild molding all the way around. I put a really thin bead on each side of the molding and smooth it with my finger after dipping it in water (finger). Once the silicone dries, you don't notice it. You can also lift the molding edge and put a thin bead in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.