Thinking about more power in my truck. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Thinking about more power in my truck.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #1

Thinking about more power in my truck.

Hey guys,

So I have a 2.8l v6 in my 1992 s10 and I would like to get a little more power for going up hills on our highway because I usually have to down sift to 4th because I just don't have enough power. So I'm asking if there is any way I can get more power out of this engine or am I better off getting a bigger engine? I've been looking at the 4.3l v6 and I think that would have enough power. I'm probably going to turbocharge it for that little extra get up and go. But this is pretty far own the road I'm jus trying to figure it out now so I know what costs are going to be and stuff. I can do an engine swap. I have brothers that have done many and I've helped them do it and they will help me. I thought bout putting a v8 in but those get pricey and don't get as good as gas mileage.

So what is my best route to go?
Beef up the engine I have?
Go for a bigger 4.3 v6?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks guys!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
87s-10 iron duke 4 speed

Re: Thinking about more power in my truck.

I know how you feel bout lack of power... I got the 2.5iron duke. main thing you can do is A. replace cap and rotor 25$ish B.get platinum or iridium starkplugs 25-30$ and new wires 30$ C. replace your coil 25$ ish for stock or 90+$for high end after market. D. advance your timing 2-4degrees make sure you mark your stock timing first with a paint marker. if you advance your timing to much you will have to use 93 and you can burn crap up.. E. exhaust. go to twin exhausted I think 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 inch pipes. I have done A B C and D. it dont drive like a v8 but I got the best running s-10 in town that gets up and goes when I stomp it...
Old 08-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtbikesrule16
Go for a bigger 4.3 v6?
Either that or the smaller camaro motor that uses the same transmission as your current motor. Keep in mind this is just step 1 in the pursuit of power... theres much more to do later.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Lance Criminal for Life

So how large is the budget on this thing? If you are looking for some serious power increase from what you have I vote 4.3, but who's to say you'll be satisfied with that later?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Lance Criminal for Life

And if you are looking to turbo it, that's gonna run at least another 2k for a first gen turbo, from what I have been looking into. But that's full kits made for the 4.3, maybe cheaper is you custom fit it al yourself?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Longbeds FTMFW

User is: OffLine

Dont force induce that 2.8. It is a shit motor, and they are very prone to popping head gaskets.

If you have the money, go to a 4.3, or an LS.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Boozebag

I see the same type of post over and over and over.
My 2.8 is gutless, I want more power.
And the next sentence is... I have a limited budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF.

How do you expect to gain power when you are broke??

Oh, and spending money on a new coil, dizzy cap, wires and plugs isn't going to do shite - unless your current stuff has problems. I have seen these trucks go 50K + miles without touching any tune up stuff.
BTW - The only reason timing changes is because the stock timing chain is a POS and stretches.

You will have to spend a minimum of 500 to 800 pesos to see any significant power improvement with a 2.8.

And of course, there's the small issue of mechanical talent, a place to do the mods and the right tools.
This is going to spur me to write a thread on various stages of power adders to make a 2.8 perform better...

Ok, I'm done.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Longbeds FTMFW

^you will feel better if you buy another s10 with a 2.8 in it.

LOL
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 AM   #9
Lance Criminal for Life

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad Max
How do you expect to gain power when you are broke??
Stickers and Fuel magnets. And probably some sweet stickers. Did I mention stickers?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
redneck extraordinaire

Your cheapest, and probably best all-around, option is probably to just sell your truck and get one with the 4.3l in it already.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
Lance Criminal for Life

Quote: Originally Posted by bigghoss
Your cheapest, and probably best all-around, option is probably to just sell your truck and get one with the 4.3l in it already.

That's actually a really god point. Depending on how much you can get and if you aren't too invested in it with money and memories that's a very viable option. If you aren't too picky about the body and yours is nice and clean hell you may even come out ahead ya never know.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #12

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! I love my truck to much to sell it. Doing stuff to it is going to be way down the road. I'm going to do it all at once so its going to be a while. I'm gonna go for the bigger motor. I don't know how big though. I've been thinking about doing the v8. But I probably am gonna go for the 4.3. If I get the 4.3 what year is the best to get? and would I be able to turbo it or will that ruin the motor?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
First Gens FTW!

IMO if your gonna spend money on swaping a motor might as well just go with a V8 Swap.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #14

The way i see it is , you already OWN this truck , you know this trucks condition why start over with another body just to find out it has issues like electrical or may have been wrecked at some point and time.
Get your hands on a good running TBI 350 do a harness modifacation get the v8 mounts etc... you will not regret having done this...... i have 17 trucks and 4 blazers under my belt.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #15
Boozebag

Quote: Originally Posted by gunther19820
^you will feel better if you buy another s10 with a 2.8 in it.

LOL
C'mon man, I have enough already!!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #16
redneck extraordinaire

Quote: Originally Posted by Kansas Dime
IMO if your gonna spend money on swaping a motor might as well just go with a V8 Swap.
This. Unless you only need a mild bump in power and are dead-set on having it for a daily driver getting 20+mpg on the highway (which is still possible with a V8) just go for a V8.

If you want a DD that gets good mileage and still has enough power to merge on the highway and keep up with traffic the 4.3l is great. I've been pleasantly surprised with how quick my '93 is with an automatic and 3.08:1 gears, but almost anything out there even remotely sporty or performance oriented will beat it in a race. If you want power, there's no replacement for displacement.
Old 09-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Nightmare

Hey guys thanks for the feedback! I love my truck to much to sell it. Doing stuff to it is going to be way down the road. I'm going to do it all at once so its going to be a while. I'm gonna go for the bigger motor. I don't know how big though. I've been thinking about doing the v8. But I probably am gonna go for the 4.3. If I get the 4.3 what year is the best to get? and would I be able to turbo it or will that ruin the motor?
If you do a 4.3 later on you'll want MORE power...
Sure you can build up a 4.3....but WHY when you can just go ahead and put a Gen III V8 in it?!

I remember when I wanted to build up a 3.4l and run a turbo, didn't want to do an "engine swap" But I found it was going to be about the same $$$ wise and the V8 would hold more potential later when I wanted more....
And I did not want to do a 4.3 because I wanted to be different...
But I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST ANY 60° V6

But, looking stock and going fast is SO much cooler
Old 09-06-2013, 01:04 AM   #18
Wildcard

I didn't read all of this. But I had a 92 2.8l Sonoma that I built by accident. Here's a full list of what was done..

Electric fan
Ac removed (compressor and bracket)
Smog pump bypassed
Egr blocked
Full stock tune up (AC Delco copper plugs)
Advance timing
Put a 4 cyl axle in it (3.73 gear)
K&N filter (pre heater removed)
Cat removed and thrush welded muffler dumped out of the bed side.

On this combination I was able to run with LT1 f bodies and my friends chevelle. Was it the fastest thing on the street? No. But was it fun? Hell yea! Nothing like spinning threw first, half of second and barking 3rd hard with a 2.8l.

Now after all that, would I do it again? Probably not. LS3 is going in my 91.

Sent from an undisclosed location under the watchful eye of the government.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:01 AM   #19

if your just trying to get up hills on the highway your 2.8 manual should be fine unless its not running right
my blazer is a 2.8 auto carb only upgrade is the ignition (msd coil and mallory dual points dist) and power steering/ac removed, i have no complaints about power. never have to use full throttle. Easily does 90 on a flat highway, 60 over mountain passes (even Donner Pass!) always carry about 500 lbs of tools and i average 21 mpg on long trips.
i been in 4.3 and v8 s10s and it is alot of fun but a 4.3 swap is about $1,000 v8 $2k+. seems like a big price just to get up hills easier
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #20
Boozebag

Read this:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f106/2...e-mods-520930/

The key you guys are missing is $$$$!
Speed cost pesos, how fast do you want to go???

I built a '90 Dime with a 3.4 out of a 95 Camaro. The build is somehwere on this forum.
It runs high 14s in the 1320, sounds like a pro stock rig and gets about 22 MPG on the hiway. It sux gas big time in the city. It also has all of the options working - A/C, cruise, PS etc.
Yes, it is different, but it cost me somewhere in the range of 4 stacks...

Ever seen this pic?

And one more thing... WHY does everyone ALWAYS go V8???
Look at this one carefully...

Yes Dicky, that is a Ford Thunderbird turbo 2.3 litre in a Nissan D21. It runs mid 15s at the 1320 and is almost BONE STOCK!
I have done a preliminary look at the S10 frame and it looks like it would drop in (as far as the oil pan goes).
Maybe you have seen these at a track in your neighborhood - disguised as a Mustang running 10s?

Confucius say: Man want speed pays out azz...
Old 09-06-2013, 12:27 PM   #21
Nightmare

Quote: Originally Posted by dropitlowfab
if your just trying to get up hills on the highway your 2.8 manual should be fine unless its not running right
my blazer is a 2.8 auto carb only upgrade is the ignition (msd coil and mallory dual points dist) and power steering/ac removed, i have no complaints about power. never have to use full throttle. Easily does 90 on a flat highway, 60 over mountain passes (even Donner Pass!) always carry about 500 lbs of tools and i average 21 mpg on long trips.
i been in 4.3 and v8 s10s and it is alot of fun but a 4.3 swap is about $1,000 v8 $2k+. seems like a big price just to get up hills easier

?????
How man, when I drove my '92 with a 2.8 & T5 to eastern NJ to pick up a motorcycle it had a HARD time going up those hills in WV & PA.
4th gear it would just slowly loose speed. I think 60 was where it stopped slowing down.
on the way back with about 250-300lb of motorcycle frame in the bed it didn't really do any worse.
And 90 on a flat road.... Maybe but it would take a few miles just to get it there

Granted it did get like 28mpg highway and only 10mpg city.
Switching the the V8, for me was not only for the power...but it's also more fuel efficient in the city where I do 98% of my driving.

Theoretically dropping my weekly "work" fuel bill from $20 to $12
Which if you ask me is pretty damn good considering I've got an extra 125HP+ at my disposal.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #22

In the middle of a 2.8 to 4.3 swap now. Even after reading all the posts that say don't do it because it is a huge PITA! Nothing is the same, you need another truck to get everything you need. All wiring in dash has to be changed, along with fuel lines, motor mounts, transmission and mounts, computer, and exhaust. Probably more but depends on options and year. I'm swapping a 93 4.3 with auto trans into 91 2.8 5 speed truck. Just working with what I have. Look for a thread on this build coming soon.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Nightmare

Quote: Originally Posted by taurus40
In the middle of a 2.8 to 4.3 swap now. Even after reading all the posts that say don't do it because it is a huge PITA! Nothing is the same, you need another truck to get everything you need. All wiring in dash has to be changed, along with fuel lines, motor mounts, transmission and mounts, computer, and exhaust. Probably more but depends on options and year. I'm swapping a 93 4.3 with auto trans into 91 2.8 5 speed truck. Just working with what I have. Look for a thread on this build coming soon.
Yeah.... the 4.3 is "Based" off of the 5.7l V8
it's a 90* V6.

2.8 to a 4.3 would be about the same as putting in a 5.7
2.8 to a 3.1/3.4 would not be hard at all.

that's why I'm saying don't do a 4.3...
Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #24

Quote: Originally Posted by Von Rottes
Yeah.... the 4.3 is "Based" off of the 5.7l V8
it's a 90* V6.

2.8 to a 4.3 would be about the same as putting in a 5.7
2.8 to a 3.1/3.4 would not be hard at all.

that's why I'm saying don't do a 4.3...
Exactly! Don't try this at home! I am a professional!
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #25

Quote: Originally Posted by Von Rottes
?????
How man, when I drove my '92 with a 2.8 & T5 to eastern NJ to pick up a motorcycle it had a HARD time going up those hills in WV & PA.
4th gear it would just slowly loose speed. I think 60 was where it stopped slowing down.
on the way back with about 250-300lb of motorcycle frame in the bed it didn't really do any worse.
And 90 on a flat road.... Maybe but it would take a few miles just to get it there

Granted it did get like 28mpg highway and only 10mpg city.
Switching the the V8, for me was not only for the power...but it's also more fuel efficient in the city where I do 98% of my driving.

Theoretically dropping my weekly "work" fuel bill from $20 to $12
Which if you ask me is pretty damn good considering I've got an extra 125HP+ at my disposal.
i dunno, ive heard that the torque converter in a auto can multiply torque. the gearing in a manual probably isnt great for climbs but having to down shift to 4th to do 60 doesnt seem like that big of issue
yeah it takes a while to get to 90, not a few miles tho maybe about 1.5
Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #26

Hey guys thanks for all the input it is greatly appreciated! I have decided to go with the v8. because if I wanted more power out of the 4.3l I would have to really build up the motor. with the v8 I don't think I would have to do to much to it. The gas mileage isn't going to be that different as it is right now either. Now with that said what kind of V8 should I look at getting? Which engines are easier to swap, reliable, and easy to work on? Thanks for all your help guys! I'm making a map out right now so I can see what I have to do, how much money, and hours of work.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #27

Right now I'm going to go drop the gas tank and replace a seal on it so it passes smog. Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #28
redneck extraordinaire

Hey guys thanks for all the input it is greatly appreciated! I have decided to go with the v8. because if I wanted more power out of the 4.3l I would have to really build up the motor. with the v8 I don't think I would have to do to much to it. The gas mileage isn't going to be that different as it is right now either. Now with that said what kind of V8 should I look at getting? Which engines are easier to swap, reliable, and easy to work on? Thanks for all your help guys! I'm making a map out right now so I can see what I have to do, how much money, and hours of work.

If you're gonna go with a V8 a SBC would be the way to go. Lots of people have gone that way so the info is already out there. Don't bother with a 305, 350's are plentiful.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #29

Quote: Originally Posted by taurus40

You sure about the dash harness?

I ask because I swapped a 91 4.3 dash harness into my 89 2.5 with no problems.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #30

im gonna just do v8 sometime when im tired of my 2.5 and even then im gonna do high rpm chevy 302 just to be different but ya im lookin for the sd4 parts for my 2.5 for now
Old 10-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #31

VW TDI swap... VNT17 turbo, big nozzles, APR stage II file, 350~ft/lbs and 50+MPG

now thats out of the way.

If your going V8 get a damn LS, they are the same price if not cheaper then a miled out POS 350 from the 80's that doesnt make any power.

i can find 5.3's with harness and ECU for under $500cdn all day every day. that way you are starting with nearly 300hp and the power potential of those motors in stock form is no secret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.