S10 4.3 running rough and dies after warming up - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

S10 4.3 running rough and dies after warming up

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #1

S10 4.3 running rough and dies after warming up

Hey guys, I've been through the forums and all over google I've spent about $400 in parts and still have not managed to figure out what the heck is wrong with my S10.

The Story: 1990 S10 Baja with 4.3. Ran great no issues then I parked it when I was given a hand-me down explorer. It sat for about 6 months then when I moved I drove it about 25 miles to my new house. Along the way (about 5 miles from where it was parked) it died.. hard to start had to hold the pedal to the floor but it started and made it. Sat again for about 6 more months. Moved again.. drove it about 20 miles it was running a little rough and kinda lacked power or would surge when under load. Did a wood run and let the truck idle while I was loading the wood, truck just died on it's own I thought it was out of gas becuase I couldn't get it to start after it died.. added gas still no start.. about 2 hours later I went back out and it started again, I parked it. Now the truck has sat again for about 6 more months. I started to try fixing it about 3 months ago.

Symptoms:
Starts on first crank easily but runs REALLY rough until I rev it out. If I can get the RPM's up it will clear out after blowing smoke for about 20 seconds (blueish smoke) then it goes clear and will rev but I can hear it slightly missing. Truck will then idle for about 5-10 minutes with a light lope then it will stall and will not start again. If I let it sit for about 1-2 hours it will start and do the same thing all over again.

Work performed to date:
-New Plugs (NGK)
-New Wires
-New Distributor Cap
-New Rotar
-New Fuel Pump
-New Positive and Negative Battery wires
-New Battery
-New Lifetime warranty starter (burned out the original one cranking it after I got stranded)
-Drained fuel tank completely (no rust very clean)
-Grounded Motor to Frame and Battery to Frame (originaly batter was grounded to motor only)
-Removed and cleaned EGR valve and checked it for leaks
-Got used throttle body injectors from pull-a-part (absolutely no change still stalling)
-Replaced a couple vacum lines (found two that were cracked)
-Replaced Sensor above valve cover on passanger side that has vacum line going to it. (lame I can't remember what it was called)

After all this it starts MUCH easier I dont have to hold the gas pedal down and idles smoother but still dies (I'm scared to drive it out of the driveway)

I couldn't change the fuel filter the line is rusted and it feels like it's going to break if I torque on it any harder but we did put a new one in less than 10k miles before it was originaly parked.

Today I pulled the truck out yet again to ground the Motor and Battery to the Frame, new battery cables all the way around and sanded the frame for good contact. Still no real change.. "Service engine soon" light comes on after truck idles for a couple seconds. I changed the oil and filter and it smelled like gas really bad and poured out like water. Still looked like oil (not milky) but definitly gas in it.

Any help would be great, THANKS GUYS!
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #2

Re: S10 4.3 running rough and dies after warming up

Also I tried to adjust the timing today, under the hood it says to disconnect the tan/black wire in the passanger compartment under the carpet. Did that. Can't find timing marks on crank pulley or numbers to adjust timing. Any advice on this?? Do you have to check from under the truck? (I have factory skid plates that are rusted on)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

User is: OffLine

is the cat. plugged up
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
Vandelay Industries

User is: Online

Well if the service engine soon light comes on its throwing a code. Do you have a scanner or how far is an autozone or advance auto?

There is an electronic spark control module on the firewall that will cause some of the symptoms you are having too .
Old 02-02-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
peace and big boobs to u

have you checked your idle air control valve? also there should be a ground running from the battery to the radiator support aside from the ones going to the frame and block
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 AM   #6

I haven't checked the idle air control valve yet I saw that in some other posts but I'm not quite sure where it is.

Any idea why I would have gas (and seemed like lots of it) in the oil??

I don't think its the cat I dont have any sulfer smell and the exsaust flows out really well.

Neither Oriely's or autozone will let me rent a ODBI scanner they will only let me use it in the lot and I wont attempt to drive it the way it is. I have an ODBII scanner but obviously that wont work :-(

Lastly any thoughts on adjusting the timing? I dont see any timing marks and most cars have a little ruler style thing that sticks out above the crank pulley with numbers on it.. dont see that either. I do have the round distributor.

Thanks for the replies so far, I will check the radiator ground tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
peace and big boobs to u

I haven't checked the idle air control valve yet I saw that in some other posts but I'm not quite sure where it is.

* on the tbi top left, the round thing with 4 wires going to it*
http://www.sporttruck.com/techarticl.../photo_21.html

Any idea why I would have gas (and seemed like lots of it) in the oil??

*pcv clogged or intake manifold gaskets*

I don't think its the cat I dont have any sulfer smell and the exsaust flows out really well.

Neither Oriely's or autozone will let me rent a ODBI scanner they will only let me use it in the lot and I wont attempt to drive it the way it is. I have an ODBII scanner but obviously that wont work :-(

*http://www.articlealley.com/article_48352_31.html*

Lastly any thoughts on adjusting the timing? I dont see any timing marks and most cars have a little ruler style thing that sticks out above the crank pulley with numbers on it.. dont see that either. I do have the round distributor.

were did you look?

Thanks for the replies so far, I will check the radiator ground tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
ASE certified MasterTech

Jump terminal A and B on the ALDL and count the SES light flashes.
Have you checked and verified ECT sensor readings? Gas in the oil can be caused by a very rich condition flooding the cylinders and blowing by the rings into the crank case.
Hard to test the IAC valve w/o a scan tool. But I would start with the code and ECT readings.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:22 AM   #9

The weather went to hell the last couple days so I haven't had the chance to screw around with the truck yet.. tomorrow is off and on showers so I'd like to get the ADL thing jumped and count flashes. Where is the place to jump A and B and I'm assuming it's the check engine light that flashes?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #10

Nevermind I found the ALDL instructions stickied in the blazer forum I'll definitly try this tomorrow and report back.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
ASE certified MasterTech

I would also remove the PCV hose from the TB, see if it is gunked up, as well as give the PCV a shake and see if it still "rattles".
It may be that the PCV passage in the TB is full and blocked off.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

User is: Online

Probably good idea to try and get that fuel filter changed, soak it down real good with some pb blaster or similar and let it sit.

Hopefully you get this straightened out. Then we need some pics, nice to see another baja here
Old 02-05-2011, 06:35 PM   #13

ok guys, I did the ALDL code trick by jumping A and B and here's the codes (Blinks) I got I pulled the code definitions from this site: http://www.freeautomechanic.com/diag...blecodes5.html

12 - No Distributor pulses
15 - Coolant Temp sensor circuit
24 - VSS (Vehicle Speed sensor)
42 - Electronic Spark Timing or Bypass fault

Note: I do have the tan/black wire under the carpet on the passanger side disconnected because I was attempting to do the timing.

This is where I'm at. Any advice would be great today it was really hard to start and died almost immediatly.. wouldn't idle until I floored it and held it wide open for about 30 seconds then it idled but was missing just a tad. There was LOTS of smoke that reaked like oil and it even filled the inside of the cab.. ... ... Arggg
Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
ASE certified MasterTech

Have you verified the PCV valve issue?
Code 12 is just a refrence, no issue there.
42 is because you have the EST wire unplugged.
I'm just gonna give ya the flow chart for the ECT as that is where you need to start:
Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #15

Ya I dunno I give up, if anyone in WA is interested I'll let it go pretty cheap. I'm not wanting to part it out I live in a townhouse and can't have a stripped car in the driveway. PM me if you're interested I just want it gone at this point it's my 3rd vehicle.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #16

try the ignition control module in the dist. i was told if its going out it can cause the problems your having
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.