Project thread- 4BT swap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Project thread- 4BT swap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #1

Project thread- 4BT swap

So I am starting a project thread that I will be doing this summer, starting to do the research and auquiring phase throughout this winter.

My plan is to swap the 4.3l in my 91 s10 4wd with a cummings 3.9l 4bt engine.

I am looking at it and I believe I will have to change the motor tranny and fuel lines and exhaust for sure.

Looking at weather or not the transfer case, drive line, rear end and cv joints will hold up to the added torque.

If anyone has done this or knows of a thread with someone who has put a 4BT motor into the 1st gen s10, please link it to me.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated and ill continue to post decisions and progress and pics of the build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2010, 02:58 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: Project thread- 4BT swap

dont remember where i saw it but someone did that but had to go solid axle up front to hold the weight if you cant get that one look for one out of a old chevy bread van they came bolted to a 700r4.

oh also look up the killer dowel pin my dads 5.9l just had that pin come out made a whole in the timing gear case and its a popular problem.

5.9l and 3.9ls use most of the same parts same front drive setup valve covers all that incase you didnt already know if you want a little more power like what a 5.9l has get some 5.9l injectors they should bring torque up abit

im a big cummins nut so i know a decent amount of info if needed just pm me
Old 11-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by jman85
dont remember where i saw it but someone did that but had to go solid axle up front to hold the weight if you cant get that one look for one out of a old chevy bread van they came bolted to a 700r4.

oh also look up the killer dowel pin my dads 5.9l just had that pin come out made a whole in the timing gear case and its a popular problem.

5.9l and 3.9ls use most of the same parts same front drive setup valve covers all that incase you didnt already know if you want a little more power like what a 5.9l has get some 5.9l injectors they should bring torque up abit

im a big cummins nut so i know a decent amount of info if needed just pm me
Thanks, I probably will.

As far as the front suspension, Im thinking of going to a dana44 solid front axle with leaf springs and a 4 inch lift, and either 2 or 4 in the back.

I know the 66'-77' broncos had this axle in the right length for a s10 and the hubs were 5x5.5"

Not sure where im going to pull the leaf springs from and im still doing some research on how to fabricate all of that to work it out.

I know they make kits but don't really want to devote 500 bucks just to the bolts and such.

Need to do some research on how that will actually work out and how to get it all to sit right.

I know that I want the truck to be pretty level on the average day and my understanding is that ill lose a few inchs of that lift just in the added weight of the motor.

More thoughts to come
Old 11-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #4

Ya that should be good and no IT'S just a little like tear drop shape washer to keep this pin from coming out 65 bucks us from a site called pdr diesel that includes the timing cover gasket front seal and keeper it's well worth the money in the long run I'll send you a pm with a link to the keeper and will be so easy to put in with the motor out
Old 11-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Spark Plugs Are Overrated

Subscribes!

You will most likely end up doing the SAS, those "little" Cummins (not CumminGs, lol) engines are TALL and weigh around 800lbs.

Look at the truck in this link, it has a 4bt in it, but he is running a Ford ZF 5 speed, US Gear overdrive and a Borg Warner case feeding 1 tons. It's a blast to drive!

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/a...s-96-a-424692/
Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #6

I found that link I had for the cummins s10 swap I'll post it up in a bit how big exhaust you gonna go 4 inches
Old 11-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by jman85
I found that link I had for the cummins s10 swap I'll post it up in a bit how big exhaust you gonna go 4 inches
Me? If so yes it has 4" Manuel.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by DieselS10
Me? If so yes it has 4" Manuel.
That was supposed to be mandrel....stinking phones always saying what it thinks I'm wanting to say!
Old 11-28-2010, 03:59 AM   #9

Ya I hear ya my iPod has auto correct or whatever it is all I know is it's a royal pain in the ass. I was asking him but nice that crimp stuff is no good I read your built thread a few times all I can is your one smart guy to be able to fit a 6.5l in an s10 never mind a dmax hows it coming havnt looked into your thread in a while can't seem to find it

I imagine if your keeping the cummins stock 3 inch should do you just fine but could I suggest a magnaflow flow through muffler they sound awesome on a cummins
Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 AM   #10

Hey aonghus,

I'm planning on doing a similar project with a 1992 S15 Jimmy 4x4 that I picked up a few months ago. How is your project going? I'd be interested in learning a bit from your experiences before I start on mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.