My S10 -91 4.3 is ticking after coldstart.. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

My S10 -91 4.3 is ticking after coldstart..

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2010, 03:09 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
My S10 -91 4.3 is ticking after coldstart..

Howdy boys! It's been a while...
Finnaly, I've done some rust and it looks pretty good, ran it through the carcheck (dont know the name, you may know what I mean?) and found out I have to replace a brakehoose due to leaking and the positionlight on the left side. It looks like a pain in the ass to shift this lamp, dont really know how to do dit but I'm sure I figure it out when I'm looking at in, just got a quick blick of it yesterday.

Also, we had like -35 celsius here, had the warmer in all night, the car started but sounded like a.. I dont know what, horrible anyway. Turned it off and took another car to the job, today when I took it to work it still sounded bad, it's ticking, and the ticking follows the RPM.
Haven't owned the car too long so I don't know how long the oil has been running, I'm gonna change the oil, but then what.. do you think it could have damagedes lifters or something? Is it haudraulik on this 4.3?

Gonna post some picks later this week.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #2

Re: My S10 -91 4.3 is ticking after coldstart..

you say the dime's been sitting for awhile? then, i wouldn't worry too much about it yet. if its been sitting for awhile, with old oil, and some seriously cold weather it wouldn't surprise me if it did knock on you the first time you started it up. add all those elements, and add the fact that the oil has all drained down to the pan.
i would definitely change the oil (switch to 5w30 if you haven't already done so), let the truck warm up - you may need to drive it a little ways to make it go away.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
GOT A NEW S10 WOO

at least its not a 5.3 they tick from factory on hot days
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #4

It was quite like a mouse before, I had it a few days erlier... so theres somethings going on, but the oil is like chewinggum so I am going to do the change and see whats happening.

Do you guys know if I get to the positionlamp if I take away that rubberpiece on the backside of the light? I know that in some cars you have to unmount the whole light.

Thank you for the answers guys!
Btw, it's only like -1 now, talk about contrast.. whats going on with the weather?
Old 01-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

that description you gave us about the consistency of the oil kinda sums it up right there. after you change your oil, it might be wise to drive it 500-1500miles (not sure what that is in KM's [basically half of one oil change]) and change it again.

as for the "position light", are you talking about the illumination for the gear selector - the light to tell the driver what gear their in? if so, i don't know to change that bad boy out, never had to do it. i'd start another thread for that one if i were you.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:19 AM   #6

Hey and thanks for the answers!
Getting tired of this now, it's still ticking.. I've done a oil and filter-change and it's still ticking alot, can it be a sparkplug that's bad? It don't sounds like that but.. just a longshoot.
I'm gonna see down the plugholes with this minicam and see if I see anything unusually.
The next thing I think must be to lift the cylinder head and take a look.

Ah, the magnet on the oilplug was clean and nice too, no dirt there, if it was a bad bearing it would be rests there wouldnt it?

Last edited by bosse; 01-21-2010 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 AM   #7

Edit: Is is hydraulik lifters on this? Can it be that I have to adjust the valves? Kinda strange as it started after this coldstart.. hm. I'm gonna listen to it with a stetoscope today and see if I can locate the sound..

Last edited by bosse; 01-21-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #8

Check exhaust, maybe a manifold gasket leaking. My 93 does this and I thought it had a internal problem for a while. Gets louder as you give it more gas. I changed the gasket and its quiet as a mouse now.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:56 PM   #9
Equinsu Ocha!

What kind of oil

how long did you let it run
Old 01-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #10

Ticking is pretty subjective .
AND it sounds like this thing had poor maintenance , in regards to Oil anyway.

It could be the lifters , one could be collapsed or wore out .
pull the valve covers and see if you got a loose rocker arm .

It could be the oil pressure is so low the lifters can't pump up . ( it would usually be more than one though )

A spark plug that isnt fully seated ( loose ) can make a sound like a tick.

A exhaust leak ( previously stated ) can make a noise like a tick

A rod knock is sometimes mistaken for a lifter ( gets better when engine warms up )

good luck
Old 01-24-2010, 12:59 PM   #11

Hello and thank you all again!
Ive now pulled the valve covers, nothing strange there.. all the rocker arms are in order, BUT, when I turn the key without the covers on, it is only drippin oil out of the rockers (dont sure on the name?) but the gauge is saying 275 kpa oilpressure... isnt this strange? wouldnt there be like a.. splatter?
I've taken loose the thrustpoles one by one (lol, dont know that name either, maybe you know what I mean) and there are open canals all the way.
I guess the next thing is to remove the intake and take a look at the lifters, pretty strange if all of them would be full of filth...
Could it be a bearingproblem due to low oilpressure even but the gauges say its fine?
How much do I have to unmount to drop the oilpan and take a look at the bearings?

You say it could be an exhaust leak but there really sounding like something is loose in the enginge...
Starting to get tired, havent worked alot with car-engines so I'm not really knowing what I am doing lol
Starting to wonder if I should buy a enginge from the junkyard and just replace it, but it would be fun to know where the problem is first.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #12

I've searched the forum and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/blue03r6#p/u/4/1NPAWF420UQ

It sounds alot at that direction, but it wont stop just because I release the throttle... still the same sound but not as loud on idle...
I read something about tranny fluid, is that shit something you recommend? lol
In worst case I blow up the engine and just replace it, at least then I know where the problem is
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #13

To me the noise in the video is a knock , not a tap .

A cracked flex plate will make a sound that could be confused with a engine noise , is yours a automatic ?

A rod bearing will make a noise like that ( gets worse under load )

A wrist pin could also rattle like that too ( gets better under load )

As I had just put in another post , very hard to diagnose via the web
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #14
Equinsu Ocha!

thrustpoles = pushrods

pushrods & lifters

Id be pulling the oil pan, check oil pump screen, change oil pump maybe.

check rods n mains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.