Is there a way to manually pop a shaved door - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Is there a way to manually pop a shaved door

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
S10 Virgin

User is: OffLine
Is there a way to manually pop a shaved door

I want to shave my handles but I was looking for a way to pop it open by hand from the outside with the windows up of course.. Is this stupid? Is there a way to run a cable to the underside of the truck or something? I'm sure they did it back in the day when they didn't have power poppers.. Any suggestions??
Old 07-28-2007, 07:24 PM   #2

Re: Is there a way to manually pop a shaved door

You can do it manually just takes some work. Need a spring loaded popper that will push the door open once you pull your secret leaver which is hooked up to your lock. But then anyone can pull this secret leaver and open your door.

Someone on here with more exprience might be able to expalin it better.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Spare Parts Pack Rat

I've heard of people using those universal choke cables (Autozone, Pep Boys, Advanced Auto) and hooking them to the lever in the door.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM   #4
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?

i will have to find the name of the company but someone makes a product that you can place behind any body panel and when installed you can walk up to the truck and tap on the body panel where the device is installed and the doors pop. you can set the number of taps required to pop the doors.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
Rarely goes over 20mph

basically it would work the same way as some door locks on older vehicles where you pull up on the rod or push it down to lock, but on the outside of the door
Old 07-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #6
Spare Parts Pack Rat

Quote: Originally Posted by 6linkslam
i will have to find the name of the company but someone makes a product that you can place behind any body panel and when installed you can walk up to the truck and tap on the body panel where the device is installed and the doors pop. you can set the number of taps required to pop the doors.

Is this the same thing they used on Overhaulin'? I remember them shaving the doors on some Dodge and putting a sensor of some kind behind the panel. I didn't think that you had to tap it though.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:35 PM   #7

yeah the one on over hauling looked like a handle i thought and all you had to do was touch it...but i could be wrong but i bet there alot of $$$ but would definitly be something different
Old 07-28-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
Spare Parts Pack Rat

I like your sig.."custom dents everywhere"

That's like when people comment on my bodywork skills (or lack of). I just tell them I did it that way to show how it's not supposed to look when it's done.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 AM   #9
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.?

there is one that you touch then there is another one that can have the # of taps programmed into it and it opens. i think the one that you touch is called magic hands or something like that.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 AM   #10
maybe ill add one later

but why wouldnt you just save all the trouble and add the xtra security and install the remote poppers?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #11
Spare Parts Pack Rat

The cable is an excellent idea for emergency cases like a completely dead battery since you need to be able to get inside the vehicle to pull the hood release to get to the battery terminals to jump the vehicle to have power so that the remote poppers work again so that you can get into the vehicle. <---- My English teacher would have been proud as hell of that run on sentence..and, yes, I did that on purpose.

Or you can just break the side glass and do all of the above.

As NVR2LOW said...put some kind of popper system into it. The cable should be used as a back up and be well hidden.

You could also use the cable to open your hood with from the outside in case of a dead battery. Please put an external button on the outside somewhere...well hidden of course...in case you manage to leave your keys in the vehicle with the windows up and shut the door. I speak from experience on that one. Luckily I was in town and just got a ride home to grab the other set of keys with the other remote. NOTE: The external button needs to run directly to the solenoid in the door as some, if not all, systems (Autoloc for sure) have a safety feature built in that will not allow the remotes to work if the vehicle is running.

Thank goodness I had shut my truck off when I did this or I would have been breaking a window out to get back in.

Last edited by shadow32; 07-29-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #12
Forum Moderater

ok ok i rolled like this for a few years
i shaved my handles and lock on pass side but left lock on drivers side
there are 2 rods on the inside of the door... 1 connects from the outside door handle to the latch mechanism that connect to the striker and one from the lock to the mechanism
disconnect the bar from the outside handle and connect it to the outside lock. (note: you may have to take it out and bend it around)
Also besure to remove the bar that connects from the inside lock to the door latch mechanism as it is habit to lock the door from the inside before shutting the door.

hope all of that made since ill see if i can post a pic if i can find it

Last edited by fetuss10; 07-29-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
Forum Moderater

found a pic
Old 07-29-2007, 01:31 AM   #14
Forum Moderater

i even at one point filled it with filler around the lock so u couldnt see the lock just a key hole held up for yrs
Old 07-29-2007, 02:02 AM   #15
S10 Virgin

Quote: Originally Posted by fetuss10
u leave ur lock but shave ur door handle
and connect one of the rods which may need to bend a bit from ur outside lock to the part of the door latch mechanism that the current handle is connected to

be sure! to disconnect the rod from the inside lock to the door latch mechanism though cause its a habit to lock ur doors from the inside when u get out and u wont be able to get back in unless u call a lock smith because the door lock on the outside is now acting as a door handle and if ur door latch mechanism is locked from the inside you no longer have a lock on the outside because its your door handle

huh?
Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #16
Truck #121616

u leave ur lock but shave ur door handle
and connect one of the rods which may need to bend a bit from ur outside lock to the part of the door latch mechanism that the current handle is connected to

be sure! to disconnect the rod from the inside lock to the door latch mechanism though cause its a habit to lock ur doors from the inside when u get out and u wont be able to get back in unless u call a lock smith because the door lock on the outside is now acting as a door handle and if ur door latch mechanism is locked from the inside you no longer have a lock on the outside because its your door handle

that sounds really cool... is it hard on the keys though??
Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #17
Forum Moderater

there i fixed it up tried to make it make more since
Old 07-29-2007, 02:17 AM   #18
Forum Moderater

Quote: Originally Posted by Golana
that sounds really cool... is it hard on the keys though??
nope same amount of pressure to unlock the door as it is to open the door just of course turn it and pull the door open to prevent bending ur key

i rolled like this for a couple of years
Old 07-29-2007, 02:22 AM   #19
Truck #121616

nope same amount of pressure to unlock the door as it is to open the door just of course turn it and pull the door open to prevent bending ur key

i rolled like this for a couple of years

ah, so kinda a twisting pulling action hahaa!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:41 AM   #20
Forum Moderater

yep cheap and u can still open it later in time when u do get remote keyless now a days though mines fully shaved but i still have emergency cable
Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 AM   #21
S10 Virgin

I get it now
Old 07-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #22
Square-body crazy

Quote: Originally Posted by 6linkslam
I seen that before. They did it to a pos honda crx (Don't get me wrong,i like some hondas but they ****ed this crx up) on pimp my ride. Too bad it didn't deserve it though.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:49 PM   #23

so wait...it's possible to shave the passenger side handle and lock, shave the drivers side handle and LEAVE the lock...so all you would need is the manual popper....and if you got the manuel popper people still couldnt get in without the key...right? sorry.....

<<< stupid
Old 07-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #24
Forum Moderater

no.... no popper or solenoids needed
once u trun the key hole which acts as the door handle itll crack the door so u turn the key abd pull the door open at the same time
Old 07-29-2007, 09:00 PM   #25
maybe ill add one later

i done that on my ranger..just took a piece of clothes hanger and bent it to pull on the latch when i turned the key..was real easy
Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 AM   #26

My truck is setup like that too, with the lock still on the outside, and I hate it.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 AM   #27

You could set something up that used a inconspicuous lock cylinder attached to a release cable for emergencies. This way even if it isnt hidden so great that someone couldnt find it you would still need a key to release it and you could do it without power too. Just a thought instead of just a pull cable that anybody could find and pull.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
Spare Parts Pack Rat

^^^ I like that idea.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #29
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS

if someone could show how to hide a lock under neath or something and have it hooked up to a cable for emergences that would be great as i have to get door poppers for my tuck as my new doors are shaved. I want a back up but as with AVS i would have to have a 12 volt source to pop my doors.
Old 07-30-2007, 01:54 PM   #30

Unfortunately it was just an idea at this point. I dont think I've ever heard of anyone doing it but I suppose somebody has.

What I would do is drill a hole in the back of the cab down low or in the floor where you can access it with a hand that way it would just be a cylinder sticking out and it wouldnt be too hard to reach unless your bodydropped. This way there would be no way to get to the release cable itself from the outside by somebody else. If its mounted this way nobody would be able to get any kind of slide hammer or anything under there either to pop the cylinder. I would assume the window would be gone before any tools were brought out though. Also you would still have access to the backside of the cylinder to put it all together from inside the cab. I mean worst case is if you lose power or your solenoid and your release dont work you might have to break a window still but thats worst case.

I dont understand why it seems like a lot of people dont have some kind of wiring or put the battery close enough to the outside of the truck so that you could take some outside 12V source to get enough juice to just pop the door and then jumpstart the truck when you get in.

Last edited by SPRKSHW; 07-30-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.