Ignition Control Module 1990 S10 4.3 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Ignition Control Module 1990 S10 4.3

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2011, 04:00 AM   #1

Ignition Control Module 1990 S10 4.3

Hey all, I have a 1990 S10 Baja with 4.3 The truck sat for about a year and not runs like pure crap'o'la.

It's real hard to start, have to hold gas all the way to the floor and crank it over for quite a while, finally starts, stammers, spits black smoke.. finally revs up and sounds normal, idles super low and chunky then dies. You can drive it for about 5-10 mintues but once it gets hot it will puke and die and WILL NOT start again for atleast two hours (almost like it got really rich and flooded) It's Tbi and here's a list of all the things I have done to fix the problem.

New Plugs
New Wires
New Cap
New Rotar
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
New ignition relays
Checked all fuses
Changed oil (lots of gas in the oil!?!)
New PCV valve
Removed, inspected, cleaned EGR valve
Replaced cracked vacum lines
Replaced TBI injectors (no change here at all)

I got a parts truck it's a blazer with a smaller V6 (not the 4.3) I was gonna try to use the ignition control module from that or even the entire distributor if that's even possible.

Any thoughts??? Thanks much!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
peace and big boobs to u

User is: OffLine
Re: Ignition Control Module 1990 S10 4.3

ok for starters since you got a baja they are going to want to see pictures.

when you changed the fuel pump did you clean the tank out and dump the old fuel?

with lots of gas in the oil i would be suspicious of the intake manifold gaskets being fubared, do you know why it was parked for over a year?
Old 04-23-2011, 01:46 PM   #3

Yes when I did the fuel pump I removed all the old fuel and inspected the tank which was PERFECT inside.

I've had the truck since 04' it has been very very good to me, I parked it because I got an SUV for free that became my daily driver... then I bought a car and so on.. The truck just sat unused but recently I've been dirt biking a lot and using a snowmobile trailer behind my SUV is getting... well.. rediculous to haul dirt bikes when I have this truck :-)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
peace and big boobs to u

hey i understand, i was driving 100 miles a day round trip back in 00 to 03 and i bought a hyundai and my truck basically sat in the garage till 05 and when i went to start it it didn't. but with mine the fuel had evaporated and gumed up the pump.

have you had any thoughts about the intake manifold gaskets?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
ASE certified MasterTech

Have you looked at the IAC valve, what about the fuel filter being turned in the correct position, flow arrow as designed?
Have you checked the fuel pressure, yes I have gotten bad pumps before.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #6

Not real familiar with the engine but maybe a crank position sensor just a thought P
Old 04-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
ASE certified MasterTech

No CKP sensor on these engines.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 PM   #8

That's what I figured just a guess have you checked the timing on the beast? Also have you checked for spark at all the cylinders. Another good idea would be to check the compression on it. Perhaps bad gaping in the distributor? Maybe a wire was crossed from the previous owner. Just shooting ideas out some input is better than none i guess lol But personally I would start with checking the compression with the gas i the oil thing sounds like a blown piston ring. Kinda hard to diagnose with out hearing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.