Hydraulic Clutch Line Replacement - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Hydraulic Clutch Line Replacement

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #1

Hydraulic Clutch Line Replacement

I was cutting the rusted floor out of my truck to replace with a pre formed piece from LMC and just barely touched the hydraulic clutch line. Needless to say, it leaks now and needs replaced.
Here's the question: What size is the line? Metric? 3/16 brake line? I can't find the answer on here of on any other website and I'm sure they will rape me at the parts store. I bent and flared all new brake lines for the truck and I'm pretty sure I can do the same with the clutch line. Since I can't find the info here, I will log all of the steps and put them on here for future reference, including the tubing size and length, as well as the thread pitch.
If you have any info or insight on this, let me know. I am always open to suggestion.
Thanks, Chris Hoyer
Hoyer Motorsports.....
Old 12-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #2

Re: Hydraulic Clutch Line Replacement

I used 3/16" brake line to replace mine. Even though it was one solid peice from slave to master, it never gave me any problems
Old 12-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #3

Thanks BAD. I looked everywhere, Oreilly's, Autozone and Advanced and all of them said they couldn't get one. I have an 88 S-10 SB 2WD with a 2.5. The line was flex, and metric, so finding an exact replacement wasn't going to happen.
1. I bought 24" of 1/4" for $6.
2. Then took the fittings off of the old line and ran a drill through them, 17/64".
3. Cut the new line at the end and slide on the old, drilled out fittings.
4. I put the cut end in the flaring die and ran a drill through it to get rid of the burr, then flared the end to 45 degrees. (I always lube the nipple before flaring)
5. I put one end in the slave and got the bend in the general direction of the master.
6. About four or five inches away, i wrapped the tubing around a 1" socket I held with a vice and made one revolution. This will give it some spring for movement. For example, look at your brake lines coming out of the master cylinder.
7. Bend it slightly to fit onto the master and tighten it up.
8. Bleeding is a pain in the ass. Pump-Hold-crack the bleeder-tighten the bleeder-repeat. It's a pain because you have to do it so many times.
Pro-tip......fill the reservoir and crack the bleeder until you see clear fluid. This takes a while but it always works on non-powered systems. I bleed the brakes on my racecars like this all the time. Wait about ten minutes before you tighten the bleeder and start the pump hold bleed precess.
ALSO!!!!! DON'T LET THE RESERVOIR RUN DRY OR YOU WILL HAVE TO START ALL OVER! AND USE LOTS OF PENETRATING OIL!

disclaimer: as with anything, there are several ways to come to the same result. your transmission may be different, like BASS15v8's was. my lines were bigger than 3/16" I had to use 1/4 inch line to get the fittings to work. If you have questions, e mail me at choyer27@yahoo.com. I'll be glad to help you.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #4

I never could get mine bleed right after switching to a complete hard-line. I tried the old have a friend pump and blled, even tried gravity blleding. i ended up having to buy a Mighty-Vac. It's a handheld hand operated vacuum pump, best 430 i ever spend. i use it on everything now
Old 12-24-2009, 04:10 PM   #5

User is: OffLine

I had to replace mine too i had to order it through carquest and it had to come from south carolina. noone even knew what it was.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
King Turd Polisher

Doesn't LMC Truck carry clutch hoses, anymore? I would think with as many S10's as there are running around, SOMEONE in the aftermarket would be making them...?

Just a thought - I know this is late, being that you've already replaced the line, but for the benefit of anyone else who might need one - if the part is different between the first-gen and second-gen S10's, perhaps a later-model clutch hose could be used, instead...? (Perhaps using some brass adapters?)
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
King Turd Polisher

Anybody? *sound of crickets*
Old 01-23-2010, 02:17 AM   #8

LMC does not sell just the line. I replaced the master cylinder on my 86 s10 with 2.5L now just tryin to bleed it. I used 6mm brake line w. 13mm fittings.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #9

Found a new line at the dealer here in Canada for $125 (after employee discount and taxes). Made by AC Delco.
('95 S10, 4.3, 2WD)
Old 03-27-2010, 06:54 PM   #10

Chub, I have no idea about retro-fitting the line. Mine is still working great but now I have another problem Either the mater cylinder or the slave cylinder is bad. I don't know which one. How do I tell?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by HoyerMotorsports
Chub, I have no idea about retro-fitting the line. Mine is still working great but now I have another problem Either the mater cylinder or the slave cylinder is bad. I don't know which one. How do I tell?
You are better off changing both,thats what i had to do to mine.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
the man

my line just blew.. only thing i can find is the master cyl. and line for $122 after employee discount. what about a used one how hard is it to disconnect the line from the slave cyl? i know the master cyl. connector just has the roll pin, any help would help
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #13

problem is fixed and working great now. i disassembled the master cylinder and found a seal that was folded over. I replaced the master and the slave. I jacked the back of the truck up to get the air where i wanted it and it took three cycles to get it fully bled. Best thing I even did was replaceing those parts. It works better now than it ever did. Very easy and happy with the results. BTW... I hate working on cars. Racecars are much easier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.