HOW TO: 92 s10 heater core removal (May work on other years as well) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

HOW TO: 92 s10 heater core removal (May work on other years as well)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
SSRT-S10

User is: OffLine
Post HOW TO: 92 s10 heater core removal (May work on other years as well)

I've been doing a bunch of these tutorials for a friend of mine and thought that maybe a few here might like them as well. I am doing these from memory, So please no flame me if I got anything wrong. Now this is the way I was taught to do this job. Your way may be different. So here goes....

92 s10 heater core removal

Tools needed:
#1 and #2 Phillips screwdriver

1/4 drive ratchet
6" 1/4 drv extension
12" 1/4 drv extension
1/4" brokeneck swivel for 1/4"drv
9/32" 1/4 drv socket
10 MM 1/4 drv socket
8 MM or 5/16" 1/4 drv socket

15mm 3/8 drv socket
6" extension 3/8
3/8 ratchet

couple of shop lights and/or a good strong flash light

A box of ziploc sandwich bags
A sharpie marker

A small ratchet strap or a long bungie cord. (For holding the dash up and out of the way.)

Starting this JOB...
1: open hood
2: drain cooling system
3: locate and remove hoses from heater core
4: using air, blow out old coolant out of heater core (ya dont want it pouring out in your floor inside- plug the core lines when done.)
5: remove the 9/32 screw holding the clamp to heater core lines and then remove clamp
6) Disconnect negative cable from battery
(NOTE: your done on the outside for now...)

INSIDE:
(Note: I am uninstalling the dash and hanging it out of the way..., your way may be different.)
(in future reference from here on in, if you see a ">" it means to BAG THE SCREWS/BOLTS AND MARK THE BAG!!)

1. Undo all hush covers from under dash using a 9/32 and the 10mm. ">" mark them HUSH COVER SCREWS (3 panels-maybe 4)
2. The kick panels need to be removed next.. ">" mark them kick panel screws
3. On driver side. Locate the cable going to the emergency brake.(the emerg release cable) and disconnect it
4. Remove all the phillip head screws from all the dash panels">" MARK THESE DASH PANELS
5. Remove the panel from under steering column now
6. Look under dash and locate on both corner sides of truck, the 10mm bolts going straight up towards dash top…, remove them and bag them(keep this bag near.., more to come…) Locate in the middle a 10mm that is bolted to a wire loop bracket. Look at right side of steering column, there is another one located there facing the right side of truck. Put all these in this bag.
7. Open glove box, remove the 2 phillip screws in the back of glove box and remove the panel. (NOTE: look in hole there, especially the duct work…, remember how it goes!!! The “T” just slides into that opening in the air box/heater core cover!!)
8. Remove your A/C controls (optional.., but makes things easier) BE CAREFUL WHEN REMOVING THE TEMPERATURE CABLE FROM CONTROL ARM!! You can easily break the “L-shaped” tab that holds the cable to the unit. Use cutting pliers/dykes to remove the clip that hold the end of cable from arm here. After removing clip.., use regular pliers to flatten clip so it can be replaced back onto arm during reinstall. Use a 1/4” socket to uninstall the mode selector switch ">" MARK THEM A/C SCREWS and leave vacuum lines attached to it. Undo all wires going to controls. Set this aside.
9. On the drivers side: remove the clip that is going to the trans shift selector that is clipped to column cover.(it is the thing with the string on it…it just pushes right off.)
10. Use a 15mm socket, ratchet, and extension undo the nuts that hold the column up.
11. Pull column down some…, but do not force it all the way down.
12. Look up into hole where column was bolted and check to see if your cluster uses a CABLE type Speedo or not. IF not.., continue on. IF YES, locate the instrument cluster removal section.
13. Top of dash near windshield: Look in the defrost vent holes and remove these 9/32 screws here. “>” MARK them defrost screws-top of dash – there will be 4 of them. (NOTE: Be careful here- swinging a ratchet wildly can result in a broken or cracked windshield!!)
14. The dash is ready for pull-out. Go to passenger side and tug on the bottom of dash while picking it up. It should slide out to you. If not, check over all the above to make sure you got all the screws, bolts, and stuff out of the way. Once done.., break out the strap or cord and strap up passenger side up and high as you can get it. I strapped mine in corner and then pulled bungie over the roof of truck and to driver’s side to keep it taught.
15. Now you can see the access cover to heater core In passenger’s side. There are 6 screws holding this cover on. All ¼” size. “>” MARK THEM H/C ACESS COVER. DO NOT get these screws mixed up with any others.., they are specially made for screwing into plastic ONLY!!
16. Pull on cover towards passenger door and outwards. Do your best not to break this cover. You should now see heater core.
17. Using a ¼” size socket , remove the 4 screws that are holding the heater core straps. One screw at the top of each individual strap and one at the bottom.
18. Pull out on heater core-twisting it out and downward. Make sure if any coolant is left to not spil it in your floor. (use plugs or corks placed in the tubes to keep them from leaking.)
19. Install new heater core. You may have to spread the tubes to get it just right on the outside part. Install screws into the straps.
20. Install heater core access cover. 6 Special short screws.
21. Reverse all the above for dash installation.

NOTE: in some instances, you may have to uninstall the bottom screw that hold the ECM bracket on passenger side and slide ECM down some out of bracket.

NOTE: When REINSTALLING DASH.., makew sure you get the little vent pipe and its "T" in the correct position to go back into whole in heater core cover box or A/C box. Not doing this can result in you having to REDO this dash uninstall !!!! REFER to Step #7 !!!

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER REMOVAL
1. After removing the light panel switch and the A/C controls, you should see inside the holes where they are some 10MM or 7/16 nuts. Remove them now.
2. Gently tug outward on the square plastic dash that covers the cluster to remove it.
3. Now you should see the instrument cluster. There are 4 nuts that are screwed onto the studs sticking out. Remove them now.
Using a screwdriver, GENTLY pry out on the legs of the cluster. USE CAREFUL PRYING HERE!!
You may have to pry up on a lower then, using another screwdriver, you can pry up on the upper one
above it. Once the cluster is free from studs. Reach behind cluster and locate the speedo cable.
Feel for the clip that is holding it there. Push IN towards cluster while PULLING on cable.
It should release. Remove all wire connector blocks from the cluster and set it (the cluster) aside.
4. Reverse the above to install it.

ENjoy the New HEAT ya got now !!
Lataz,
Allen
Old 01-05-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
Solid Axle MOD

Re: HOW TO: 92 s10 heater core removal (May work on other years as well)

If you can add some pics, I will sticky this.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
SSRT-S10

Sorry..., I didnt get a chance to take pics. =(

I wish I had taken pics though, but at the shop I'm at.., The boss stated he wanted it done asap. And to make it even better.., customer was waiting on it as well...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
Solid Axle MOD

I'm going to stick it any way, if any one else happens to do it and gets pics send em to me so i can update it .
Old 01-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
SSRT-S10

Thanks.. WOW! My first sticky !! Thanks !!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #6

http://www.sytyarchives.com/howto/vi...imate_controls

Easier way with out having to pull the dash.

Though if you wanted to tackle a dash paint or wrap and had a heated place(or warm time frame) you can do both
Old 01-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
SSRT-S10

Yeah.., that'll work..., But it is a PITA to get to alot of the H/C box bolts. IMO
Old 01-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Cruisin' old school.. '82

Quote: Originally Posted by my_nightmare
Yeah.., that'll work..., But it is a PITA to get to alot of the H/C box bolts. IMO
Agreed, Its a PITA to even simply pull the heater core out and then trying to put that strap back on afterwards ugh! I had to go that route with a 91 S10 Blazer. I'll never do it again! haha

My S10 though I'm pulling the dash to change its heater core. Might take a little extra work but worth saving your hands from torture and straining your eye sight and inevitably cursing at the world the whole time.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
SSRT-S10

But with the dash strapped out of the way..., it makes it extremely easy to get to those H/C bolts and the straps are wide-open. At my work.., Earlier today, I did another one of these. (It must be heater core month. LOL. The 3/rd one in 2 weeks!!)

I Also forgot to add in the how-to - On the trans shift selector cable (aka the string), before bolting bottom cover back on.., you will need to clip.., then test the shifter position and retest to make sure it like you want it to be. The S10 I did this H/C deal on came back today because the PRND21 did not line up correctly with the line/linkage. (where it was supposed to be according to customer..) It was a 15 min fix to get it right.

I also got a request to get a total (ext cabs, fleetsides,step sides, the fronts and rears, the sides, stndard cabs, the wheels, the TOTAL list needed to make a s10 xtreme clone!) listing of all the Xtreme Series GM part numbers and current costs for them. This will be my next project. So keep an eye out for it. Some of the part numbers listed here in a sticky still exsist. But several have changed sice its post. (It's something to do and definetly kills some time...lol - I have no life...lol)

l8taz,
Allen
Old 01-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #10

a good tutorial is/has been needed on this for a LONG time. I had to do mine w/o any instructiona nd boy was it a bitch. All those worthless $10 part store manuals say is to go from under the dash to get the core which IMO is a BS waste of time. The Only way I could ever advise doing this is to remove the dash. Pics would be incredibly helpful for members who dont know what to look for.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:07 AM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by my_nightmare
I Also forgot to add in the how-to - On the trans shift selector cable (aka the string), before bolting bottom cover back on.., you will need to clip.., then test the shifter position and retest to make sure it like you want it to be. The S10 I did this H/C deal on came back today because the PRND21 did not line up correctly with the line/linkage. (where it was supposed to be according to customer..) It was a 15 min fix to get it right.

Yup but only if its an automatic. That's where I'm lucky with my S10. Though I've adjusted those shifter selector cables before and yeah like you say its a quick fix.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 AM   #12

I'll be changing my heater core soon. If no one gets pics up by then, I'll take pics as I go. I prolly wont take pics of taking the dash itself out cause I'm sure there is already a guide on dash removal.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by JeremyCollins13
a good tutorial is/has been needed on this for a LONG time. I had to do mine w/o any instructiona nd boy was it a bitch. All those worthless $10 part store manuals say is to go from under the dash to get the core which IMO is a BS waste of time. The Only way I could ever advise doing this is to remove the dash. Pics would be incredibly helpful for members who dont know what to look for.
Ya I've noticed the last couple of times that I've looked at my Chiltion's book that it has had wrong info and with the last time it fails to mention a part that has to be removed to get a different part out.

With my old Blazer I did the sy/ty link way. Didn't have to much trouble with it past the PO breaking the core cover(same thing with my Baja).

If the heater core goes out on Das Baja I'll pull the whole dash so I can clean it up, do a real fix on the heat ducts and recover the dash.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #14

I paid $40 for a new core from advance auto. Pretty quick fix for something warm to drive!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #15

You do not need to remove the Dash to replace the heater core in a 1st Generation S-10 Blazer. I own a 1991 2Dr 4wd S10 Blazer AC and I also own a 1994 4DR 4wd Blazer with AC. The first time I replaced the heater core, was on my 1991 Blazer. For the first time, I consulted the Internet for advise, and was told to remove the dash. So I removed the dash, and took photos of the heater core houseing area for future reference, specifically where the houseing screw locations were. I replaced the heater core and reinstalled the dash. I believe this took me 2 days to complete.

On my 94 Blazer, I replaced the heater core without removing the dash. Everything is the about the same as the 91. Here is how I accomplished it. I removed the dash screws/bolts (4 screws in the defrost vents, 2 bolts one on each end of the lower part of dash, on one bolt near the ashtray) I remove these just to give me a little wiggle room when removing the heater core. I think I may have removed the radio, not sure now. I removed the small plate in the very back of the glove box, for access to the upper heater core houseing screw. Now referring to the photos I took of the 1991 blazer heater core housing screw locations, I began to remove the housing screws, and the housing cover. I removed the heater coolant hoses. I removed the screws and brackets holding the heater core, and then was able to remove the heater core itself. I then install the new heater core. Installing it is a wee bit of a challenge, getting the tubes through the holes in the dash, but I did it, and so can you. This method took me two hours to complete.

Youtube also has a video:
Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #16

If you click on the photo below, you will see the upper and side screw locations for the Heater core houseing. #1 is accessable when you remove the radio. #2 is accessable when you remove the panel in the rear of the glove box. Put your finger back there, you should be able to feel the location, I think it is maybe a half inch to the right. #3 is a tough one, you will have to go up under the dash for that one, I think I was able to remove it with a long 1/4 extension and wobbly socket. #4 is easy. And there are one or two at the very bottom (not shown) and are easily accessed.

Again, you do not have to remove the dash to replace the heater core.....
Knowing where the screws are located to remove the heater core housing will help you.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 AM   #17
SSRT-S10

I dont disagree with the "not removing dash" way...., it can be faster...

but I am a firm believer in the "work smarter.., not harder!!" principle of doing mechanical work. Sooo, the dash removal way is my way..., other ways may be more faster and more feasable to others. I, persoanlly, wrote this for those that have never removed a heater core in these years of trucks and wanted a quick(somewhat) tutorial to help them achieve this goal and save them some $$$'s by doing it themselves. I've done many of these things different ways depending on the vehicle..., but on this model S10, I got it down to 45mins to one hour .. complete..,with dash removal and all.
the 94-97models.., I can complete the dash removal and heater core process in 30-45 mins. And on the 98 and up series.., I can do it in 20 to 45 mins flat for all of it.

But What I am stating here is that it can be done doing the shorcut way without removing the dash. Anything can be achieved if you want it done that way. I, personally, just prefer my way of doing it as it is the way the dealership taught me and the many other trainers I've had in my past.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #18

"I am a firm believer in the "work smarter.., not harder!!"
"my_nightmare" - For the novice, those whom have never replaced a heater core in an 82-94 S10 Blazer, my method is definately easier, and smarter. A novice would have great difficulty removing the Dash, and reinstalling it.

"model S10, I got it down to 45mins to one hour .. complete..,with dash removal and all."
Impressive, you can do this in your sleep I imagine. For most of us home mechanics, it takes much, much longer.

"the way the dealership taught me and the many other trainers I've had in my past"
In the 70's and 80's I too was a "Flat Rate" dealership mechanic, I worked for Subaru and Peugeot. While I was at the dealership, we didn't have "trainers" and we didn't work as a team. Are knowledge was obtained by reading the shop manual, and hard knox. The manufactures would hold classes for certification, but often these classes were behind the times. For instance, when Subaru models switch from carburated models to fuel injection, we were not offered a fuel injection class until 2 to 3 years after that model was in service. For many of you old timers, I'm sure that sounds familiar.

Two methods of replacing the heater core, I've done them both ways. Each person has their own preferance, neither is the right way or the wrong way. But in both methods, one does need the proper tools to perform the job.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #19

In two hours I pulled the dash, changed all by instrument lights(had two that were dead) replaced the heater vacuum control and the heater core. Finished. So one way may be easier if you are just doing the heater core but the other lets you do preventative maintenance as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #20
92 Longbed

Thanks for takin the time really appreciate it helped a ton.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
SSRT-S10

Your Welcome.., Glad we could help out on it. =)
Old 09-09-2012, 05:04 AM   #22

I need to do my heater core in my s10. I am just gonna pull the dash and rip it out and replace it. I am hoping its that easy any tips would be appreciated as I have A.D.D I think lol and there's alot to read here just for heater cores lol.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #23

No need to take the dash out. Just take the bolts out of the pass side ad loosen the others so you can move it around. You will also need to take out the radio so you can see some of the upper bolts and get your hand in there.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM   #24

Ok, cool thanks.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #25

Wanted to ask, is an '88 S10 easier to change the core in than the '92 this thread was based on? Reason I ask is because I changed the core in my '88 today in a hour, taking my time without so much as loosening the dash. Just want to be prepared if I ever need to change one in a newer model.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #26

Did a replacement on my '87, took two days because I could not find the last screws to remove to lift the dash to access the heater housing/cover screws. Had to ask Chev.
Chev. mechanic told me to remove the 7mm screws down in defroster duct next to windshield.
If only Chev. Shop Manual could have explaned removal routine! It would saved me the grief of a day and a half.
Walt
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #27

I had the Haynes and the 1993 S10 shop manual laying around and they helped me when I did mine last week. I figured I'd put up what was in it. Note in the Haynes is says an extra panel has to come off for the 1993 year. I am not 100% sure what that panel is. Good luck.

Haynes:

Shop manual:

The notice is just a warning on using the right screws and torque.

Referenced figures:

Fig 2:

Fig 11, 12, 13:

Fig 14, 15:

Fig 16:

Fig 17, 18 are with the instructions.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #28

i have done quite a few heater cores in the many s10's i have owned and got it down to a 45 minute job...loosen the dash and slide it back a little ..gives ample enough room to get that sucker out and in quite easy..in my opinion...but some like there own way not kicken on anyones method.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:36 PM   #29

Best to use the Autozone heater core. It is a little bit thinner core and the pipes move easier to get through the firewall. The Advance unit was brass and copper and I destroyed that unit trying to get it to fit. I had to eat that one. I don't think the pipes were bent correctly because they looked a little different from the one I pulled out. Pulling the radio and the glove box plate lets you get to the upper screws for removal. Ran it for an hour and no leaks could be found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.