Gas tank removal? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Gas tank removal?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2006, 08:08 PM   #1
not from canada

User is: OffLine
Gas tank removal?

Hello,

My gas tank is becoming my worst nightmare, i am going to have to take it off to have a closer look at the hole in it. Has anyone ever taken a 1st gen gas tank off? I have an 83' if that helps at all. Do you think chiltons repair manual will cover this?

Thanks alot,

CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Re: Gas tank removal?

its real simple, 2 straps, 3 bolts around the filler neck. and some wire harnesses
Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
not from canada

cool...as soon as its done leaking all over my garage and stinking up my house I can get to it
Old 03-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Quote: Originally Posted by Canada Dry
cool...as soon as its done leaking all over my garage and stinking up my house I can get to it
I take it that its full huh

That sucks man, been there.

Fuel pump + full tank of gas = no fun
Old 03-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #5
Project Ol' Skool

Dont Siphon it out with your mouth. i did that once, i learned gas dont taste as good as it smells
Old 03-16-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
not from canada

i dropped a half gallon all over my hair and face on accident cause someone scared me in the woods....i had to crawl to the nearby lake in my underwear and blindly jump in
Old 03-17-2006, 10:22 PM   #7

Hello,

My gas tank is becoming my worst nightmare, i am going to have to take it off to have a closer look at the hole in it. Has anyone ever taken a 1st gen gas tank off? I have an 83' if that helps at all. Do you think chiltons repair manual will cover this?

Thanks alot,

CD
Getting above the gas tank to remove the fuel lines is a real pain. It's alot easier to remove the gas tank when the bed is off. Plus,you can inspect the lines and your sending unit and replace them alot easier if they need to be replaced. Chilton will cover the gas tank removal, too.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:55 PM   #8

Just a suggestion, but if your tank is leaking your better off just replacing it instead of trying to fix the old one....won't be long and you'll probaly spring another leak somewhere else on it, and your back at square one. The peace of mind is worth the cost of a new tank imo.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #9

replace it and it is easyer if u have time and space to take the bed off....
Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 PM   #10
not from canada

hmm I never thought I would have to remove the bed, I suppose I should buy the chilton repair manual for the bed removal as well. Ill keep you updated.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
MiNi tRucKiN' oN A buDgET

bed removal is easy. 6 bolts (possibly 8) and u can see exactly where they are if u crawl underneath. then u have to remove 3 bolts outta the filler neck (inside gas door) and the harness for the taillights in the back, should be somewhere around the back of the driver side framerail. then get a buddy or 2 and pull the box off.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 AM   #12
life begins @ 20 psi

You don't have to even lift the bed off the truck, just remove the bolts on the driver's side of the truck and loosen the ones on the passenger side and tilt it up:

While I have it lifted up, I have someone shove a jackstand between the bed and frame to hold it up. Plenty of room to to get the fuel sending unit. I have replaced over a dozen fuel pumps myself. Last year the fuel pump went out in my S10 and it took my bud and I thirty five minutes start to finish to swap it out. I had to replace my tank his past fall due to rust pin holes. I patched it with Permatex radiator/gas tank epoxy and that bought me about half a year. Ended up buying a plastic gas tank through JC Whitney so that I never have to worry about rust again. Two tips:

1. If you get another tank, you will need to get a new fuel sending unit lock ring or cam. It's the metal ring that holds the fuel sending unit in the tank. Some part stores carry them in the "help" section. If you can't find one, you will have to go the "stealership" part number is #251-24032 and the price will be around $5. When you install that new lock ring, GREASE the living snot out of it so that it doesn't rust to pieces like to old one did. When I put my new tank in last fall, the lock ring still looked brand new and it came right out with no problems.

2. If you have a full tank of gas like I did when I had to replace my tank, you've got a problem. You need to get all that gas out. The easiest way to do it is first disconnect the fuel lines. Do yourself a BIG favor and draw a picture and/or label the lines so that you remember where they go. Connect a short length of hose to the outlet side of the pump which will be the line closest to the cab. Run the other end of the line into a gas can(s). Then disconnect the wiring harness that goes to the fuel pump. Take a jumper wire and connect one end to the positive terminal on your battery and touch the other end to one of the leads in the plug (there are two) on the fuel pump and it will pump all the gas out. It goes lots quicker than you think it would. Only took me about three minutes to pump out nineteen gallons of gas. HTH's

Last edited by SY2932; 03-22-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:41 AM   #13

there is 4 bolts on the outside of the frame that hold the gas tank in ,
if you remove the bolts the whole gas tank assembly will lower down,
remove lines and pull out from under the truck,
then you can remove the straps from around the tank , when it is out from under the truck
in the picture above with the bed tilted( is a great idea also), you can see the upper bracket that the straps go to, that is part of the assembly that will come out when you undo the fore mentioned bolts.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #14
Registered Asshole

like they said. easier to unbolt the bed and get to it. saves A LOT of headaches with those rubber lines!
Old 03-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #15

I paid $80.00 for my tank on e-bay
Old 03-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #16
Comitted Suicide

when i did mine i dropped my tank and then extended the rubber hoses another foot and a half which made it much easier to install afterwards, i hooked everything up while the tank was on the ground and raised it up, the only bitch thing was the filler neck
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #17
not from canada

Well I just ordered the gas tank and anit-squeak kit from LMC Truck. I will take a few pics of installation when it gets here. ( I cant believe I paid 100 dollars for tank )
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #18

i had a hole in my first gen....****in u got an 83 i think they got smaller takes then the 85+....not sure.....when your tanks almost empty crawl under and weld it up....j/k....i bought a dec. gas tank for 5 bucks...
Old 04-01-2006, 10:47 PM   #19
not from canada

ha, well I dont know of any junkyards around here...so im stuck buying online and autozone
Old 04-05-2006, 08:51 AM   #20
02 shortbed owner

i wouldnt ever buy a junkyard tank unless you plan on having it boiled out and recoated, most machine shops can do this for around 50ish dollars
Old 03-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #21

bought a new metal tank from Oriellys 125 plus straps plus new pump plus sending unit and filter, need to replace all fuel lines as they are rusted terribly - I had to be towed home yesterday as the line just blew leaving me out there
1991 S10 reg cab long bed 4.3 2WD
Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #22
S10's-R-Us

Don't waste your money on those books for this simple stuff.
Pull your bed, way easier to get to the tank to see the real issue. You might can even fix it as well. Depending on if all it needs is the rubber o ring around the sending unit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.