fuel line replacement, what fittings do i need? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

fuel line replacement, what fittings do i need?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #1

fuel line replacement, what fittings do i need?

i have a 92, 2.8l 5spd s10 and the fuel pump crapped out the other day, i replaced it with a Syclone fuel pump cause why not have 300lph for a stock 2.8l right. dropped it in, attached the hoses and primed it then of course, pin hole leak on the steel feed line just inside the frame by the tank.

so looking around for a replacement fuel line( the line that runs from the sending unit feed line to the fuel filter) i came up empty handed. the auto parts stores i tried said they do not sell direct fuel lines for anything just the make your own, and they were a dealer only item.

now im not opposed to spending the money for a line from the dealer if i need it but i'd rather not. also i fear that the act of removing and replacing the rusted line from the frame could disturb the other rusty lines down there and i end up with another leak.

therefore i was thinking it would be easier to just run a braided fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter, and leave the other lines undisturbed. now i've never used braided lines before so i'm trying to figure out the fittings and everything and i'm not having much luck.

i need to know what fitting i will need to attach to the feed line at the sending unit, is this 3/8" NPT? or is this metric? next up would be the line itself which i figured 6an would be a good size i figure i need about 6 ft of it, do i need to look for anything in particular for fuel line like inner coatings and stuff? finally i will need an adapter to attach to the inlet of the fuel filter, which i again guess is a 3/8" NPT.

anybody who has done this before please let me know, i only want to order fittings once, so if there is a write up or something on this somewhere it would be much appreciated.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

Re: fuel line replacement, what fittings do i need?

ok so it appears to be 3/8" npt fittings for the feed line at the pump and at the fuel filter and a 3.5ft distance.

im gonna go looking around town for fittings and line to maybe get this done today, as opposed to summit, figure i need a 4 foot piece of 6AN braided line, a 6an to 3/8" npt male fitting for the filter side, and 6AN to 3/8" NPT female, possibly a 90* swivel of this since it has to turn down between the tank and frame.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #3

i believe gm used metric fittings for the fuel lines.

why don't use just get one from a wrecking yard.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

junk yard trucks are likely to be just as rusty as my rather rust free 92 truck, and the diver and time required to go and lift the bed off another tuck just isnt worth it.

and i spent some time at the parts store and have come up with this

fuel pump feed line outlet from the pump is not 5/8" NPT its a inverted flare and sadly the store had none in stock and would take a week to get.

the hose i got is a russell 6ft long 6AN fuel line, i only need 3 and a half feet but the next smaller size they had was 3ft sticker price $55 ouch but i got it at a discount

the fuel filter is 5/8" NPT and i was able to get a 5/8" NPT to 6AN adapter for that.

so hopefully with a trip to another towns performance shop tomorrow for the 6AN to 5/8" inverted flare adaptor i will have everything i need and some extra braided hose, and be able to get the damn truck outa the garage
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #5

User is: OffLine

You might of been able to do something with this or this

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-21611-118-346.aspx
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-15880-55180.aspx

Then use this for your 3/8" line to -6 AN

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-639200/
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

User is: OffLine

Feed lines are 3/8" with the fittings being 1.5 x 16mm and return is 5/16" with the
fitting at 1.5 x 14mm stock.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #7

ok so after ordering the wrong item from summit after the guy at the parts store told me the sending unit feed line was 5/8" 18 Inverted Flare, i ordered russell 640610 to adapt from 5/8" 18 Inverted Flare to 6AN and once i got it the female part of the thread wernt even long enough to reach on my stock sending unit so i thought they mis-packaged it because the picture of the piece and the piece i got did not look the same.

but uppon further investigateing and now looking back into this thread i have found i actualy need something to adapt to the 3/8" 1.5x16mm feed hose at the sending unit.

so if anybody has any ideas as to what adapter i need please help me, im at my wits end with this week and 2 day fuel pump replacement. i think it is obscene that auto parts stores around me dont have one single thing in the store that will attach to an stock s10 sending unit.

and all of this just because nobody makes fuel lines for our trucks anymore, god do i hate finding parts.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 PM   #8

so i thinks this is the adapter i need http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640830/

if sombody could verify this that would be great.

any better yet if anybody has one in PA ill take it cause i know my pos college town aint gonna have it anywhere. or if anybody knows places that have AN fittings in central pa let me know because i've been trying to fix this for a week so i can go home for easter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.