first gen AC help - S-10 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
First Gen or bust

first gen AC help

Ok guys,I'm looking for some input and opinions for my ac. I have a 1989 4.3 tbi. In the 14 years I've owned the vehicle I can count on one hand the times I've used the ac on it. Partly because of it being worn out but mostly because of how it affects everything else. I don't like the way the horsepower drops and every red light is a potential risk to run hot. I'm looking for any ideas someone may have done or heard about that I can have the AC without the bad side affects. I'm pretty good at fabricating things for this truck if it comes to that. Any help is greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Re: first gen AC help

An e fan will help with running hot on really hot days. Taurus, Contour, Intrepid fans will all get the job done.

- '92 S10 Extended Cab 2.8 5 speed: new daily driver.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/m...d-92-a-776930/

-2000 RCSB 2.2 5 speed. Cam swap, Roller rockers, etc... previous DD

:Project '89 S10 Extended Cab 408 LSX, T56 Magnum

Build thread-
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...56-n-a-665850/
post #3 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
First Gen or bust

The running hot isnt that big of a problem as long as my radiator is new. My biggest issue is the way it runs while the compressor is engaged and the fan not blowing very hard

post #4 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 07:17 PM
slamburger

the efan will reduce the amount of load put on the engine, thus helping with your power loss while using AC

Neil
2000 - S10 - 2.2 - Vin 5 Flex - RCSB - Auto - 115k
post #5 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 07:52 PM
slamburger

I did a little quick reading, I'm bored and interested, but don't quote me.

The early TBIs were not very powerful.

Upgrading other parts of the vehicle would probably benefit you:

gears, exhaust, i think CPI heads are bolt on and net you more hp, and you can use stock intake, or you can upgrade the intake (i think). I believe there are TBI chips available to make some gains, or a tune.

There's a lot of threads regarding the TBIs and people wanting more power. I'd do some research and see if it's what you're looking for.

Neil
2000 - S10 - 2.2 - Vin 5 Flex - RCSB - Auto - 115k
post #6 of 9 Old 04-16-2017, 11:02 PM

I've had LOTS of 1st gen S-series. At least 12 of them. All have or had functioning A/C. I use stock radiators and engine-driven cooling fans. I never worry about heating up at idle or stop lights. These things can get to 230F at idle with no problem, as long as it comes back down when you begin moving again. The TBI 4.3 A/C clutch control system disengages the clutch with WOT throttle. So if you want the A/C to disengage, floor it. The CPI engines don't do this, they run the clutch as long as the cycling switch is calling for demand. The ECM does not control the clutch in the CPI; in the TBI it does.

My 91 ext cab DD has 335K miles on it. I've had it 20 years, and 220K of those miles are mine. Pretty much every one of them with the A/C on. The DD has the best A/C of any of them, except my 92 red/gry Typhoon was better. I never worry about heating-up, it's a CPI so I have power, and the system is still R-12. I've had to replace the compressor 3 times, but as much as I use it, 7 years from a $225 compressor is fine by me. There's a art to properly servicing and maintaining an A/C system, with leak detection and testing post-repairs being the key. If the system doesn't leak, it will provide maintaince-free service for years.

Electric fans are not necessary, and are not as efficient as the stock engine driven fan, as long as the fan clutch is operating correctly. And the power an e-fan uses DOES come from the engine. Through the alternator.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 08:36 AM

I have switched my AC to a Sanden compressor (Actual Sanden not Sanden Style) . My AC blows colder than it did with R12, draws less current when it kicks on. The key is the get the mounting brackets for the Sanden and to have 2 custom hoses made up.

When I did mine I bought a conversion kit from Classic industries but the kit was for full size vehicles and I ended up down a rabbit hole with parts I was unable to use from that kit. To install a Sanden compressor I would install a new Accumulator, Fabricate 2 new hoses, Install the Sanden Compressor with installation brackets you can get on ebay. I used short drop fittings for the top of the Sanden compressor so the fittings do not interfere with hood clearance and you do not have to rotate the compressor from the vertical position. This is the 2nd year for my Sanden and it works great.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 08:45 AM

See attached pics for my Sanden compressor upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	013.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	276825   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	276833   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	276841   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	276849  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
First Gen or bust

Thanks guys. Sorry for the delay. Mr. Vis I'm sending you a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page