Door sagging (pics) - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Door sagging (pics)

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Door sagging (pics)

This happened a while ago actually. The driver side door sags and its gotten to the point where I have to have the window down just to close it (pulling on the door from the middle) because if i use the inside handle I keep adding to the already ripped damage due to having to close it harder than normal. The hinges are intact (upper and lower) but because the door sags it has damaged the solenoid that is used for the keyless entry feature. It WILL close and latch properly if I am closing the door from the outside or close it hard from the inside.

This is the top driver side door hinge on a Chevy S-10 1997 by the way.

What I need to know is there a kit of parts or something similar I can use to get this door back on track and good to go myself or would some pros at a body shop have to get in on this? Here are some pics to help describe whats going on:

This is the passenger side door. It's just fine.

This is the driver side door. Notice what has happened.

This is driver side at another angle.

Suggestions? The spring and the part it sits on fell out when the door busted a while back and I could never find where the parts went..probably down the gutter that was nearby.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:12 PM   #2

Re: Door sagging (pics)

i had the same problem on my first gen all i did was weld the door pin holes shut and redrilled them put new pins in and never had a problem since then
Old 07-12-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
No longer a pizza tech.

User is: OffLine

replace the hinge pins
Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #4

advance sells the springs through dorman. put a set of door hinge pins in and the spring and you should be ok
Old 07-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by weezle29
advance sells the springs through dorman. put a set of door hinge pins in and the spring and you should be ok
The bushing that the metal arm pushes against due to the spring being behind it is completely busted out. Would that be included in a set of door hinge pins?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #6

No thats a diff kit
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by beedle4
No thats a diff kit
I'll probably need em both then. What would that kit be called?
Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by QQJJz
I'll probably need em both then. What would that kit be called?
Roller detent. I never had to find one of those for a S truck but have seen them before in the "Help" sections of auto parts stores.
You just grind off the top of that pin and knock in out. Then the new one installs and uses an allen bolt and washer to hold it in.

But even if you don't find one of those do replace you pins and bushings!
If it has not already happened the hole will get worn out then it will need to be welded and redrilled. The bushings are press fit and if a new bushing just falls right in then the hole is worn. Also with the door sagging its hard on the latch and you will end up screwing that up and having to replace that as well.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by MadMikeZ28
Roller detent. I never had to find one of those for a S truck but have seen them before in the "Help" sections of auto parts stores.
You just grind off the top of that pin and knock in out. Then the new one installs and uses an allen bolt and washer to hold it in.

But even if you don't find one of those do replace you pins and bushings!
If it has not already happened the hole will get worn out then it will need to be welded and redrilled. The bushings are press fit and if a new bushing just falls right in then the hole is worn. Also with the door sagging its hard on the latch and you will end up screwing that up and having to replace that as well.

Sounds good. I'll probably get both doors done just for the preventative. Though this kind of work is out of my league for modding my truck so if I were going to leave this to some pros, what specifically would I need to tell them to do?

Replace the door hinge pins and bushings and the springs. Redo the pin holes and use a modified roller detent? Sound about right? Just gotta make sure.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:29 PM   #10

If they are truly pros you should only need to tell them the door is sagging. Thats how it was for me and I could figure out what it needed. Tell them it needs pins and bushings and a roller detent and spring is missing.
A pro should be able to know if a hole is enlarged and needs welding and resizing.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:28 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by MadMikeZ28
If they are truly pros you should only need to tell them the door is sagging. Thats how it was for me and I could figure out what it needed. Tell them it needs pins and bushings and a roller detent and spring is missing.
A pro should be able to know if a hole is enlarged and needs welding and resizing.

Ok I thought so. Just wanted to make sure I understood it as well. Been a big help guys, love this forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.