S-10 Forum banner

Digital dash swap help please!

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  24digger 
#1 ·
Ok so i recently purchased a digi dash of ebay. I have an 88 s10 bought one from an '89 i believe. Anyways, my truck has a speedo cable and a 3 wire plug that sit next to it.

My first question is what is the 3 wire plug?

My second question is if i swapped my trans out for a new electronic speedo drive trans (bc i need a new one anyways) would i be able to hook it up to the dash easily?

This has probably been answered before but any help would be appreciated.

#5 ·
Maybe the best write up done on the swap

http://people.oregonstate.edu/~akeym/

You might want to heed this though.

This guide WILL ONLY WORK FOR 1989-1994 MODELS!* If you have an S-10 Blazer that does not fit into that time period, or is a 1994 S-10 pickup, stop reading now. All S-10 Blazers made in 1988 and earlier use a cable driven speedometer, whereas the newer models receive an electronic signal from a Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS). Also, installing a VSS on an older model S-10 Blazer is quite hard, and would require quite a bit of extra wiring, and a small computer unit that interprets the VSS signal called a Digital Ratio Adapter Control (DRAC) which is located next to your ECM/PCM.

#6 ·
Ok so i went today to u-pullit and got a dash with side vents for $65 and tomorrow i am going to get my trans and steering column to replace. The trans has an electronic speedo attached so thinking this will even more aid my digi dash swap. I read that article (seen in the quto above) so im going to grab the drac tomorrow. Is there anything else i need to make this work or is that all?

List:
Digi dash (equipped for a manual)
32 pin connector
"new" trans with electronic speedo
DRAC

#7 ·
If its not miserable out, I'd try to get as much harness for the VSS from the trans up as you can. That little green box is like a little VSS buffer, the speedo cable turns an encoder inside the cluster to give you pulses. So, once you're in the car, you do actually have a VSS signal running around.

It would probably be worth your time to take a look at a post '89 cab schematic and see how stuff is run around.

#8 ·
I am now stuck. I got a drac and other than the ground and the purple and green wires that run to the speedo i have no clue where anything goes. I have a pink w/ a white stripe, brown w/ a white stripe, blue with a black stripe, and a solid brown wire left for the drac harness.

Also, from the 18 pin to the 32 pin is it basically just matching the colors of the wires? Because the diagram on the how to conversion posted above is showing none of the colors match from the old 18 pin to the 32 pin and i remember on my 93 all the colors matched. Any help?

#9 ·
A lot have used that write up, but I can see it may be confusing.
If you can PM a member here who goes by Golana, he is supposed
to be the master when it comes to all things electrical on these
rides. I don't know how to access the member's list or I would of
linked you up.

#11 ·
Go to the electrical section and go to deathpheonix99's wiring diagrams and you should find all you need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.