Converting to a tilt steering column, cruise control, delay wiper switch - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Converting to a tilt steering column, cruise control, delay wiper switch

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2011, 06:14 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Arrow Converting to a tilt steering column, cruise control, delay wiper switch

i have a base 1991 s-10. it has no cruise, no delay wipers, and no tilt steering. i know installing a tilt column is not a big deal but i was wondering if anyone knew what it would take to install a steering column with delay wipers and cruise control. is there any converting that i would have to do? is the wiring completely different? that's all. if there is anything else i missed please let me know. thanks.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Cruisin' old school.. '82

Re: Converting to a tilt steering column, cruise control, delay wiper switch

As for delay wipers, you need the motor and the delay module. Plus the switch and handle will have to have the delay controls. It's possible though cause I'm adding it to my base s10.

As for cruise, not sure. Someone should chime in on that one.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM   #3

that's pretty much what i was wanting to find out. i'm not so concerned about cruise control but having delay wipers and tilt wheel is what i would like most. my dad and i are redoing some things on my s-10 over the winter and a tilt w/delay wipers is what i would like to have the most along with bucket seats.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 PM   #4

Your cheapest route would be to pull the motor w/ module and the switch from an 83+ S10 in a junkyard that has the option. You'll notice the difference in motors cause your original one is smaller looking. The one with the module looks like it has a box made on it. Don't worry though, they both bolt on the same.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

we've looked and have found s-10s in junkyards with them before and have just never pulled one out. we weren't sure on what all would have to be done to convert over. thanks for the help.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:41 AM   #6

I. Have been looking at doing the same to my 93, but I'm having trouble finding a tilt, delay, cruise and manual column. If you so happen to get this swap done keep us informed of all what you needed.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7

i live east of indy and there's a pull-a-part closer to town. my dad and i go there a lot and we have found an s-10 with tilt (manual), cruise, and delay wipers but this was right after i got my s-10 a little over a year ago and we were still fixing the things that needed fixed. even then, we were curious about changing out the column for a tilting one but we weren't sure about what all it would take to convert to one, like if the wiring was different (cruise) and if there was anything else that would take time to change. but now it won't be a big deal to do. and once we do the conversion i'll let you know. not sure when it's gonna happen with the holidays and everything but it'll happen sooner of later. my dad and i are in the process of starting a semi-restoration i guess you could say.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #8

I converted from the same situation to tilt, cruise and delay.
Delay is easy as only the module and motor are different.
I added electronic cruise control and it works well.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:22 AM   #9

Not sure if the wiring is different for cruise cause there is an electrical version and a mechanical (vacuum) version. The wiring for the windshield wipers will be different though. Because the control that the handle sticks into is different depending on intermittent (delay) or not.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
HJR

I am currently in the process of doing this very conversion myself. It took a bit of patience to find a tilt in a manual, but I knew they were out there, I had one before. I found it finally and it also had the cruise and wiper delay. The column swap is easy, but the wiring is different for the wipers. A member here pointed out to me that all I'd have to do is swap the wiper motors and I'd have the delay. I went back to pick n pull and grabbed the wiper motor off the same truck I got the other parts. Installing was easy and now I have wiper delay.
I also got all the parts to add the factory cruise control, this is the next task I am going to tackle. It will be a little bit involved, but shouldn't be too difficult. I'll be sure to take pictures and report progress.
It might be worth noting that if you find a tilt column that doesn't have the options you want or just want to add cruise and/or wiper delay to your current column that the wiring for both are separate from each other and separate from the ignition and high/low beam switch. Meaning no matter what the options, the wiring on your head lights and ignition are all the same so it's a simple task to add the other options without interfering with your current wiring.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #11

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
HJR

To clarify a bit, the wiring for the wipers is different in the column switch, not in the truck. You plug the new switch in your stock wiring, and your stock wiring into the new wiper motor and the delay conversion is done.

Onto the cruise:

Fortunately the trucks that did not have cruise still had the mounts installed for some of the equipment. The pic below is of my truck with the column removed. The brake pedal uses both electrical and vacuum disconnects for the cruise. The blue arrow points to where the vacuum switch mounts. The red arrow points to the brake light switch. This switch will be removed and replaced with a combo switch that controls both the brake lights and cruise control shut off. The yellow arrow points to where the clutch shut off switch mounts. You can't see it in the picture, but if you follow the pedal up to where it pivots you'll see the hole that is the same size as the other two.
Also ready for the factory cruise under the hood is the TBI, it already has the mount and hook up for the cable. Pics to follow on these.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #13
HJR

Here are the necessary components:

My new column.

The main cruise components together. Note the complete stand alone wiring.

Cruise servo.

Cruise module.

Speed sensor. (I think the non-cruise trucks have this, but I have not confirmed this yet. When I get back into mine I'll let you know the findings. The cruise does plug into this sensor.)

More to come!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
HJR

Comparison of the cruise control/brake light switch (left) and standard brake like switch (right).
Prong clearance is different on the combo switch to avoid improper hookup.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
HJR

Factory position of the Cruise Control servo, L/S inner fender. Holes need to be drilled:

I took measurements from the doner truck. The holes themselves are 3/8". Red arrow, from fender to center hole is 5". Green arrow, inner fender rib to center hole is 1.5". Blue hole is center rear hole to center front hole, 2 5/16"

Servo in place:

The vacuum hookups. The large one goes to the brake pedal switch. The hose is actually wrapped in the wiring harness seen in the second picture of my previous post. The small one 'T's into the line to the vacuum reservoir.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #16
HJR

It's a simple matter to run the cable from the servo along the firewall to the other side of the engine to the R/S of the TBI.
As mentioned above the bracket and hookup are already on the TBI. Red arrow is the cable mount, green is cable hookup.

Here is the cable in place and hooked up. I misplaced the clip that holds the end of the cable on, looking for it right now.
Cable was too tight and caused a high idle, but it is adjustable on the servo end so I was able to put the proper slack in it.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
HJR

Okay, time for an update. My radiator broke last week, had to order another one so I figure while the truck is down go ahead and tear the dash apart and finish adding the wiring for the cruise and tach.

Everything went together pretty good, the speed sensor in the truck was the same as the one I pulled. The harness plugged right in. My truck also had the ground buss above the column even though it wasn't in use.

As mentioned previously, (I think), the firewall cutouts for the wiring doesn't exist. However, the insulation does have the cutout:

Support rod removed to access cutout:

Also, there is a dimple for drill centering in the firewall. It goes from outside in, but it was a simple matter to punch it from the inside. If you look at the firewall under the hood there are various centering dimples for various wiring combination. This one needs to be a 1" hole.

Small snag, got my wires strung and the sensors installed, but the clutch deactivator sensor doesn't come close to the clutch arm, even adjusted all the way in! Back to pick in pull hoping I wouldn't have to pull the pedal assembly just for the cruise. Good luck, I missed this small bracket bolted to the side of the clutch arm:

Checked my truck when I got home, yes it has the hole to mount this bracket so I'm back in business when I'm able to tackle it again.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #18
HJR

Sorry about the blurry pic, my camera sucks @ low light.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #19

Very nice updates HJR and thanks for posting all these pics and steps you took. This will help out a lot of folks in the future
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #20
HJR

Thank you! I hope it does help, seeing it done should simplify it some.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:48 PM   #21
HJR

Worked on this some more today, bolted in the bracket and adjusted the sensor on the clutch pedal arm. No pictures of this, but it's just a small 13mm nut and bolt through the small bracket above bolted to the side of the arm.

The hot lead, (pink wire), plugs into an open 'IGN' outlet on the fuse block.

All that should be left is hooking up the vacuum source to the servo.

New radiator is arriving tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to test the cruise sometime this weekend.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
HJR

Still working on this. Got the truck all together, but the cruise didn't work. Checked for vacuum, checked switches for continuity, pedal switches tested good, but I had a faulty control switch. Power would go to it, but not from it. Purchased a new control switch from Autozone, Dorman in the Help section. $40.
Installed new switch, now have power to it and from it. Got power to the module and the switch is sending the commands to the module. This is where I am currently at now, looks like I might have a dead module. Back to the yard, hopefully get a good one this time.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
Budget Ballin FTS!

This needs to be a sticky!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:44 AM   #24
HJR

The windup:

It is finished, I now have cruise control! The final problem was the vacuum switch on the brake pedal just missed the pedestal that pushes the switch in when the brake is released. I know, I know....

Bent the pedestal over a bit for positive contact, and there it goes. All functions work like they are supposed to!
Old 01-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #25
HJR

BTW, the pedestal I am reffering to is the piece the blue arrow in this picture is touching. You can even see in this picture it's not quite lined up with the switch mount above it. When I assembled it the switch was touching part of the pedistal, but when I drove it it must have walked over the edge of the pedestal. It just took bending it up to align with the top piece.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
HJR

Another update! Inspired by this thread and the author's write up on adding the cruise light to the digital instrument panel. Since I had the analog cluster I decided to try to add a separate light to my truck .

First I bought the smallest 12V led I could find. I went with green as that is the color I've seen used on newer vehicle's cruise lights, but obviously you can use whatever color you like. I got mine from this ebay vendor.

It was as simple as running one wire to the ground bus, and per the author's instruction running the other to the gray wire at the cruise module. It does work, but the author made one small error, the gray wire is the power wire, it is not an activated wire. Meaning the light comes on whenever the cruise is in the on position, not only when it is activated as should be the case. If I am able to locate the activated signal I will report it back here, but until then this does work as a power light at least.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.