best way to lower - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

best way to lower

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #1
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

User is: OffLine
best way to lower

can u flip the leaf springs?
and for the front whats the best way to go
okay i should rephrase
cheapest
i just dropped the 4 banger back in.. got a silverado im workin on and need a beater truck lol
sooooo i might just cut the springs.. bad idea??
Old 03-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #2

Re: best way to lower

cutting the springs is a bad idea IMO....do it right, there are other people on the road with you,wouldnt want you to hurt or kill somebody by taking shortcuts on your truck. Get some drop spindles, drop coils, and lowering blocks...they arent THAT expensive...
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
Freedom

So are you dropping the silverado or another s10?

NEVER cut the springs on anything you're working on.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

how would cuttin the springs hurt or kill someone??
Old 03-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

droppin the s10 liftin the silverado
Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
ASE certified MasterTech

Cutting a coil only loweres the center of that coil,but by doing so you are allowing the the lower control arm to bottom out,if you were to hit a big bump it could cause you to lose control.Heating the coil is also a bad idea,it causes a moleculer change in the steel weakening it.Now you say,doesnt a drop coil do the same as what I stated above,yes,but the drop coil it stiffer progresivly which allows for the shorter distance too the bump stop,this is why 3 inch drop coils make or a harsher ride.

BTW,axle is already above the leafs,so no fliping there.But you can pull a leaf to gain about a 1.5 inch drop for free.

Last edited by jtcfanof3; 03-28-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 PM   #7
ASE certified MasterTech

I stand a little corrected,a shorter spring makes for a stiffer ride,unless its thinner.BUt stock springs are designed with the thickness for a specific spring rate,drop coils are made with a diffrent spring rate which allows for a stiffer ride but less chance of bottoming out.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:56 PM   #8

drop spindles dont cost much and they are ALOT safer than cutting the springs
Old 03-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

4" blocks at the rear the way to go?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
Freedom

I thought you said in your first post that you already dropped the S10?

Cutting the spring is bad because the spring doesn't allow for the shorter travel distance with a stiffer spring rate. Also, by cutting your spring you run the high risk of not cutting both springs the exact same amount, which would therefore cause it not to drive/ride correctly. Either one of these could cause you to lose control and hurt/kill yourself and/or others. As far as the back is concerned...you can't flip the spring. I don't know how flipping a spring would be possible on ANY leaf spring vehicle, but whatever. Anyway, taking a spring out would lower it a small amount, but you would have to know what you are doing to a T...you wouldn't want those ****ers coming apart on you while driving. Also, don't let anyone tell you that you can just mono leaf it, because that is a worse idea than cutting your coils in the front. Yes, you can go with 4" drop blocks if you want. That would be probably you're cheapest bet, but still not the "best." I say this only because of how the drop block/leaf spring/axel react with regards to each other under load and high stress situations such as strong launches. If you need that explained, feel free to ask. I don't mind explaining that, but I don't want to type it all if I don't need to. You know? You're safest bet would be to go with 3" drop leaf springs and then a 1" drop block if a total of 4" is what you are after. But, a 4" block will work if that's what you want.

What are the specs on the truck? Year? Extended cab? Short bed? What are you working on, basically?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #11
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

92 single cab short bed and no its not dropped
Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 AM   #12
Freedom

Okay...you're cheapest way to lower, that is still relatively safe, would be to get some drop coils for the front and drop blocks for the back. I would recommend replacing your shocks with drop shocks while you're at it. Also, if you're going to drop the back at least 4" then I would recommend cutting the bumpstop and the bumpstop bracket out. I had my 2000 lowered 4 in the back and it was constantly bottoming out. Removing the bumpstop gave me a better ride but it would still bottom out if if I hit a pothole or something to hard. Removing the whole bracket fixed that problem.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Freedom

http://www.stylintrucks.com/sn.aspx?category|category_root|-30=Suspension&category|cat_-30|373=Lowering+Parts&canned_results_trigger=
Old 03-29-2009, 12:16 AM   #14
Old School Baggin AGAIN!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Joker Relentless
Okay...you're cheapest way to lower, that is still relatively safe, would be to get some drop coils for the front and drop blocks for the back. I would recommend replacing your shocks with drop shocks while you're at it. Also, if you're going to drop the back at least 4" then I would recommend cutting the bumpstop and the bumpstop bracket out. I had my 2000 lowered 4 in the back and it was constantly bottoming out. Removing the bumpstop gave me a better ride but it would still bottom out if if I hit a pothole or something to hard. Removing the whole bracket fixed that problem.
this is the best way... drop coils and blocks are cheap and you'll get a 3/4 drop out of it. deffinately do the drop shocks though. then if you want later on you can add the spindles and the leafs for a total of 5/7 drop. its the exact way i dropped mine 4 years ago.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 AM   #15
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

thanks guys
just tryin to get it done cheap as i dont wanna throw too much money into it anymore
got a silverado to mess around with for awhile now
Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #16
Freedom

Quote: Originally Posted by 88sdime
this is the best way... drop coils and blocks are cheap and you'll get a 3/4 drop out of it. deffinately do the drop shocks though. then if you want later on you can add the spindles and the leafs for a total of 5/7 drop. its the exact way i dropped mine 4 years ago.
Exactly.

Quote: Originally Posted by kylers2k
thanks guys
just tryin to get it done cheap as i dont wanna throw too much money into it anymore
got a silverado to mess around with for awhile now
kylers2K, don't be like some of the people that come on here and ask for a "cheap way to lower" and then don't take people's advice when they tell you not to cut springs or anything like that. Do it right and do it safely. Sure, the other ways are cheaper, but they are at a risk to you and everyone else on the road.

I understand wanting to do it as cheap as you can...I'm married with a kid...but like I said, do it so you don't endanger anyone.

Last edited by Joker Relentless; 03-29-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:24 AM   #17
Ivegottastickwhatwhere??

yeah i definetly wont cut the springs like a friend told me to do..
ill get drop coils, 4" blocks and drop shocks and remove the bumpstops and brackets.. i read up on that earlier..
that should be pretty cheap and be a not toooooo bad ride .. and look good
Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM   #18
Freedom

I had 2" dropcoils in front and out back I had 3" leafs and a 1" block. I rode like that for 4 years with no problems. The ride was rough until I cut out the bracket in the back, but other than that it was fine.
Old 03-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #19

yea just spend the money and do it right the first time. i just got done lowering my 88. 2" spindles, 3" coils, 3" leafs, 3" angled blocks, drop shocks all around... ended up costing me just over 500 bucks including shipping. ebay is great.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
sleeper

the only way to lose controll is if you really suck at driving my buddy had a 91 blazer and we cut the srings in the front to get a 3 inch drop and then made blocks and stole some ubolts and shit and that was the shittyest ride ever but it looked good tho
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #21
Freedom

Quote: Originally Posted by slpns10
the only way to lose controll is if you really suck at driving my buddy had a 91 blazer and we cut the srings in the front to get a 3 inch drop and then made blocks and stole some ubolts and shit and that was the shittyest ride ever but it looked good tho
Yeah...YOU sound like someone to take lowering advice from.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:47 AM   #22

ive cut springs in the past and didnt have any issues. i run 3in. belltech spring with belltech shocks on both my current trucks and love the ride.

never recommend heating springs but i have done it for buddies that didnt want to remove the springs to cut em or replace them. i wouldnt ever do it to mine but they were happy with it and didnt have any issues either.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #23

Too bad you dont live in cali. There is a shop right down the street from my house that would get you some drop spindals, install them, and make sure everything is safe like rotating tires and all that good stuff, and they will do it for 100bucks out the door. That includes the install
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #24
sleeper

my buddy bought 2" spindles and 3" springs and 3"lowering springs and 2" blocks we only cut the springs a week b4 he bought all the right stuff we were just messin around.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #25
baby blue

the best way to do it is the right way
if you want low, you could get 3" block and zq8 leafs (or drop leafs)
coils and spindles to give 4 or 5" drop
would be about $500 depending on the deals you can manage, may be more
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #26

do they make drop shackles for a 92 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.