aftermarket A/C? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

aftermarket A/C?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
aftermarket A/C?

I have a '93 S10 std cab SWB 2wd 5 spd with a well built 4.3. This truck originally came with factory A/C, but most of it is now missing. It still has the compressor and stock condenser. Not sure if the compressor is any good, but could be easily replaced. The condenser is fine, it was sealed when everything else was removed. The original hoses to the condenser are also still there, it was just disconnected, nothing was cut. The rest is gone, fan, evaporator, heater core, everything under the dash and all the ductwork.

I would like to install A/C in this truck, I live in Phoenix, AZ, and can only drive it half the year due to the extreme temperatures (115 degrees+) in the summer. I would like to use the stock compressor and condenser, and install an underdash evaporator/fan unit. Heat not needed. Being a '93, it was the last of the R12 systems. Has anyone installed aftermarket A/C in a 1st gen truck, and if so how did you do it, and where did you get the parts? Would appreciate any help. Would like to get it done before next summer.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
Cruisin' old school.. '82

Re: aftermarket A/C?

I can get ya links in a minute. My 82 has an aftermarket A/C system but I didn't install it. I would've taken pics of it but they fitted it behind the dash (behind the glove box) You are given a new "short" insert for the glove box so the unit will fit behind the whole dash. You are given two relays which the past owner mounted them behind the dash. You'll get a new panel with a/c controls.

It can be done. Not sure if you can use the original compressor (perhaps with adapters). Mine uses a Sanden compressor.

Again I'll find the link I found to get kits and parts for aftermarket A/C systems.

Reason for the aftermarket A/C in mine was because it originally had heat only.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #3

Here is the link... http://www.nostalgicairparts.com/ac/...or-units-6.php

Lots of good stuff there.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #4

You can also check LMC Truck as they sell a lot of the factory A/C parts for our S10. I would've gone that route but again the past owner already installed the aftermarket unit.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

Thanks. Looks like I may need some professional advice, maybe even need to have it done. This truck did come with A/C, but the entire heater/A/C unit has been removed, leaving nothing but the condenser and compressor. The control is also broken. Even the ductwork inside the dash has been gutted. I live in Phoenix, AZ, and do not need heat. I was hoping to save the condenser, use a stock compressor, and just install an underdash evaporator/fan, with it's own temp control. But the stock compressor and condenser were both designed for R12, not 134A.

There are a zillion parts to the stock system, and I don't know what most of them are, especially the ductwork. It would be a nightmare to try and reinstall the factory system. I've seen many street rods and classic cars with aftermarket A/C, so I'm sure it's possible. I just need to find out what parts I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.