92 s10 temp sensor issue - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

92 s10 temp sensor issue

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #1

92 s10 temp sensor issue

had a 92 s10 for about 1 1/2 years. ever since i have had it, the remp has read nothing never moves. i have regularly checked the coolant leel.

recently i topped it off, and now the gauge says i am overheating, maxed out. and it tells me to check gauges. i know it isnt overheating, it is just messed up.

i was just boggled why it would all of a sudden change after 1.5 years.

Does anybody have a ny suggestions? how to fix this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 92 s10 temp sensor issue

new thermostat maybe
Old 12-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #3

already put new thermostat in
Old 12-15-2007, 11:48 PM   #4

the beginning of your post was making me think you should replace the sensor. but with it now maxing out, i'm thinking some kinda wiring/gounding issue.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Rarely goes over 20mph

more than likely the rear sensor for the gauge is bad.

mine did the same, when i first bought it, it would stay at the very bottom, then it pegged to the top at start up, and then it started to fluctuate.. it would go from flat bottom, to pegged at the top so fast it would make a ticking sound, and it would tick 1-2 times a second randomly, kinda like dragging a stick down a metal picket fence randomly.

the weird part is, i have an aftermarket water temperature gauge thats screwed into the thermostat housing where the stock one was, but the gauge still jumped around and acted weird.

which leads me to beleive its the rear gauge sensor.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:19 AM   #6

I have a 93 2.8l and it stays at the bottom and never moves. Which sensor is for the gauge and which one is for the computer? I know of two. One on the t-stat housing(2 wire) and the other on the front of the driver side head(1 wire). I could use some insight on this as I want my gauge to work.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:11 PM   #7
Rarely goes over 20mph

the one on the back of the block near firewall is for the gauge.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM   #8

well about a year ago, i replaced the sensor on the thermostat housing. but it didnt change anything at all.

so does anybody have any pics of the other sensor or can give me instructions on where it is. and what it looks like
thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #9
Rarely goes over 20mph

its on the very back of the head, basically touching the firewall by the fuel filter.

its on the drivers side, right by the valve cover, has a 1 wire plug going into it

but mines a 2.5l 4cyl so it might be in a diffrent area then the 4.3
Old 12-17-2007, 12:07 AM   #10

Alright for all the 2.8 tb people the temp gauge sensor is on the FRONT of the driver side head. A single green wire is ran to it. I just grounded the wire against the cab while running and the gauge went straight to 260. Let go and it dropped back to the bottom. Now I just need to find the sender at the parts house and I and everyone else that has this problem can fix the issue. Good luck people.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #11

On the 4.3...The one wire sensor for the temp gauge is on the passenger side...The 2 wire sensor by the thermostat is for the ecu...

easy way to check the 1 wire sensor (regardless if it's a 4 or 6 cyl) is to take the plug off the sensor and use a paper clip to ground it to the block...with someone sitting in the cab...turn the ignition on (you don't need to start the engine) and when you touch the paper clip to the block, the gauge should peg...when it's ungrounded, it should read zero...

with the issue you have, where the gauge is going from 0 to max...it sounds like you might have a issue w/ the wire...check/trace it to see if it's grounding out against something.

FWIW...my temp gauge didn't work when I bought the truck...I had to replace the sensor that went into the block (the 1-wire sensor) AND change the thermostat to get my temp gauge to work.

Hope this helps
Old 12-17-2007, 04:15 PM   #12

thank you for the input.

i will try this out.
thanks blktalon456
your help is appreciated b/c its a 2.8
and thanks basist4 on how to test if this is it
Old 10-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #13

just tonight i noticed driving my temp sensor was dead cold. clearly it wasnt under 100 after driving 35 mins. the gauge was working perfectly for a good 5 months i wanna say. so i squeezed the coolant hoses and didnt feel anything (empty) i filled the rad, and topped off the overflow. ran the truck and still dont feel any pressure of the coolant in the hoses. the gauge didnt move either. should i just go with my gut instinct of a new thermostat? as long as everything is working fine i really could give a shit about the gauge working, i just dont wanna risk it overheating due to a stuck thermostat and then im sol. this is my daily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.