Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Mad Max is offline
Re: 92 s10 temp sensor issue
I have an 85 3.4 4x4. I have replaced the temp sensor 3 times since 2002.
The test is simple. It was mentioned earlier. With ignition 'on' or truck running, dead ground the temp sensor wire. Gauge will peg. The wire is always green on a first gen S10 - unless someone has hacked the wiring harmess.
The sensor is really a rheostat (sort of like a radio loudness control) unless you have an idiot light.
If gauge doesn't peg, next is a bad wire (broken connection) It is pretty rare the gauge goes bad, although in rare cases it can.
I have also replaced the POS OP sensor 5 times!!!
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck) 3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best) Sold
7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.