4.3 pros and cons question - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

4.3 pros and cons question

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
4.3 pros and cons question

ok so i know ive asked this before but i cant find the old thread. in your guys opinion which is better a 4.3 vortec or the regular ol TBI 4.3? what are the pros and cons to both?

im looking a 93 ext cab with the tbi 4.3 and he wants 1500 for it not sure if i really want it without it being a vortec. ill post pics later tonight.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
BRB Facetat

Re: 4.3 pros and cons question

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/w...-or-tbi-24308/

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f107/t...ine-is-350470/

Here's a couple old threads talking about the two. As far as the first gens go there wasn't a lot of improvement in the 93 going from the TBI to the CFI (or CPI depending on your tastes in abbreviation). They're both technically fuel injected but the only difference between the TBI and CFI for the 93 was the injector was moved to the intake port instead of the throttle body (see link 2). the 96+ engines are MPFI which are the modern fuel injector setups we think of today.

The difference between the TBI and CFI in the 93 is minimal. The CFI will provide a bit more power but is overall less reliable and sometimes problems can be difficult to fix. On the other hand the TBI provides less power but greater reliability and if an injector quits out you just pull your air filter off, pull the injector out, and swap in a new one. Otherwise it is built just like a carb'd engine. I'd prefer the TBI in the '93 given the choice between the X and the W. That's just my $.02.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #3

ok so heres the vin for the truck, can someone decode it for me, i dont have a chilton anymore or id do it myself.

so the trucks a 93 ext cab, auto, 4x4. power windows locks and mirrors. all options are stock, so no cd player or anything just the old tape player and am fm. it has a dent in the tail gate and the passenger door. mechanically has no issues other than a control arm bushing that needs to be changed but he said he would either get it fixed or take the price down acordingly to get it fixed. the only dilemma i have at the moment is it has a salvage title, he told me it was only body damage and has no frame issues or anything but i need some more opinions. he is asking 1500 for it and is pretty firm on that price. is he to high? im really not looking to resell it if i do get it but i still dont wanna buy somethin that has absolutley no value if i get in a bind at some point.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:50 PM   #4

ok heres the pics http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...20stuff/sdime/

and a video
Old 09-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #5
Tink

Looks like a real nice ride, I dont think $1500 is out of line, I paid that for my 90. How many miles and what was the body damage?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

thats the thing he doesnt remember how bad it was because he bought it already fixed a number of years ago, but h said it wasnt enough damage to scare him off so i dont htink it was to bad. i want to get the car fax report on it but thats 35 bucks. i dunno if it had a good clean title what do you think it would be worth? it has 157,000 on it .
Old 09-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Yes he is high. His price is too :P. I wouldn't pay $1500 for it with 157k on it, especially so if its got a salvage title. And btw, it sounds like this guy remembers very well what the damage was, he is full of shit.

I say $1000 is fair IF you get a favorable carfax report. I don't know if you can still do it, but in the past I've posted cars on ebay for a ridiculous price so no one would buy it just for the free carfax they give you. If he won't budge from $1500 tell him to go pound sand.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
Cruisin' old school.. '82

1500 doesn't seem too bad myself. I mean as long as it runs at this point, damage or not, looks like he got it fix up. Noticed the ding in the door but it wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. Ext cab too and the interior is in pretty decent shape. The mileage though is a bit high. See if you can knock him down a couple hundred but otherwise doesn't seem that bad of a deal.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #9

you guys wouldnt be concerned about it being a salvage title? i was gonna offer 1000 for it and see what he thought, its still a seven hour drive one way for me to go get it, so its not like i can go up the street and look at it.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
BRB Facetat

Offer 1k. I think that's a reasonable price for a salvage title. 1500 seems a high imo. If you can settle up around 1100 that'd still be pretty reasonable.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:22 PM   #11

yea thats kinda what i was thinkin, i dont think he is gonna come down but ill try, thats all i can do
Old 09-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

hahaha im such a dumb ass, just realized a few posts back i said heres the VIN and never typed it in, hahahaha
Old 09-22-2011, 11:33 PM   #13
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Pro: Vortec makes a whole lot more power

Con: leaky, problematic, fuel system
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #14

I've had a 92 GMC Sierra with 106xxx miles, 92 Chevy C1500 with 160xxx miles and just brought a 92 Chevy S10 with 203xxx miles over the years all the the 4.3 TBI and the only issue I've had with the first two was the valve stem seals dried out, so all let out a puff of smoke when they started, valve cover gaskets leaking on all three, but all still have had good oil pressure, gotten great fuel mileage, great power for a 4.3L even in the fullsized trucks and never broken down on me.. The issues they did have were easy fixes.. As for the vortec I always remember an older ex-chevy mechanic I went to school with saying as soon as they added the "vortec" in front of it, expect to pay an extra $300 on what you would pay if you did the same on a older 4.3L like I had..

If you are haggling over the price over e-mail I'd definitely aim to pay no more than $1000, chances are you will see it and find things you didn't see in the pictures and if it breaks down on your 7 hour drive home, then work out how much it will cost to tow home or repair on the way.. Think of paying $1500 and then a $400 tow bill or shop bill because something happened, unless you're trailing it home.. I paid $900 for the 92 Chevy, $125 for the 92 GMC and $300 for the 92 S10.. Good deals come around, if this one doesn't work out, you'll find another great deal soon..
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 AM   #15

Yea I want it pretty bad but if I can't get him to come down I don't think it's worth it At first I wanted a vortec cause they look bad as under the hood but I'd rather have something easy to work on and cheaper to fix and less computerized
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #16
Cruisin' old school.. '82

I didn't notice the mention of a salvage title, but yeah especially for you being 7 hours away if he isn't going to lower the price for you that would mean he really wants to sell it locally anyway and probably to somebody who doesn't know a thing about basic mechanics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.