2003 4x4 on 1991 2wd? - S-10 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Xnke

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

2003 4x4 on 1991 2wd?

I have a 1991 2wd s10
I have a 2003 4x4 Blazer that is truly only good for parts anymore
If i take the front axles and diff off of the blazer and fab something to mount the axles and diff on the s10, take a tcase from a early gmt400 with the manual shifter, and get a driveshaft made, will it really "work"? If anybody has done anything similar would there be anything to look out for? I know anythings possible but i want to know if i can do this or if it would just be easier to sas it?
Thanks in advance guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 PM

Re: 2003 4x4 on 1991 2wd?

SERIOUSLY?
The least expensive and most effective way to do what you are asking is to crush both of them and go buy a 4wd truck. An S10 if that's what you want.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-19-2017, 01:05 AM

You can section the front frame and slide them together-S10 frames are slipped together in two sections and welded.

This is definitely and "Advanced Course" kind of thing. If you have to ask how it's done, it's probably over your head.

You'll need to strip both frames completely, everything comes off, and then carefully cut the welds on both frames where the frame splice is welded. You'll need to use a frame table or a very flat, (truly flat, not just "that looks flat") concrete floor to make sure the frame aligns well.

When you slide the frame halves together, you'll need to carefully measure the wheelbase and that you get each frame rail the same length on both sides, as well as maintaining both zero twist in the vertical plane and keeping it square in the horizontal plane.

I have a frame table, and have assisted in the sectioning of an S10 frame before...it's NOT easy. But it can be done.
DaveP likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2017, 02:40 PM

I researched the 2WD to 4X4 about 20 years ago. I had a 93 4-door that I had purchased new, had about 100K on it at the time, was in perfect condition and I wanted AWD. (Borg Warner full-time T-case like a Bravada). Xnke is correct: there is a LOT to know and do for this swap to be successful.

I discovered the "splice", and thought about sectioning the frames at the splice. But ended up purchasing a complete 4X4 frame with suspension, brakes, exhaust system (it's different too) from a theft-recovery ( no accident damage) 92 Blazer. Cost me $900 for the complete frame assembly, and by the time I was finished, about $4,000 for the complete swap. I drove that truck 290,000 miles total through 48 States and 3 countries. I used to say "I took a perfect car and made it better".

I was very pleased with my decision, and got 15 years out of it before I sold it. It is still in service. However, the truck was still "new" at the time, and good used and new parts were available in yards and from GM. No way would I consider doing it again today on a 25 year old vehicle, with only used-up 25 year old parts.

Do your research. There's a LOT to it.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
I researched the 2WD to 4X4 about 20 years ago. I had a 93 4-door that I had purchased new, had about 100K on it at the time, was in perfect condition and I wanted AWD. (Borg Warner full-time T-case like a Bravada). Xnke is correct: there is a LOT to know and do for this swap to be successful.

I discovered the "splice", and thought about sectioning the frames at the splice. But ended up purchasing a complete 4X4 frame with suspension, brakes, exhaust system (it's different too) from a theft-recovery ( no accident damage) 92 Blazer. Cost me $900 for the complete frame assembly, and by the time I was finished, about $4,000 for the complete swap. I drove that truck 290,000 miles total through 48 States and 3 countries. I used to say "I took a perfect car and made it better".

I was very pleased with my decision, and got 15 years out of it before I sold it. It is still in service. However, the truck was still "new" at the time, and good used and new parts were available in yards and from GM. No way would I consider doing it again today on a 25 year old vehicle, with only used-up 25 year old parts.

Do your research. There's a LOT to it.
Yeah you can get a 4WD S-10 for 4 grand anymore. They're old enough to be cheapish.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-26-2017, 05:18 PM

Yes you can convert a 2wd S10 to 4wd,.... with a straight axle.

It simply is not cost or time efficient to swap 4wd front end parts into a 2wd. Buy a 2wd truck and swap in your good 2wd engine if need be.

I'm not old, I'm ripe - My LS Jeep project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page