• 1 Post By Cruzinthe6ix
  • 1 Post By Cruzinthe6ix
  • 1 Post By Cruzinthe6ix
  • 1 Post By Cruzinthe6ix

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

1st Gen T56 V8 Build - Learning As I Go - Has Many New Pics*

Hello All,

This Build is still in the process and will be updated as I progress. It consists mostly of suggestions and tips from these forums. I'd like to thank all who've contributed over the years laying down a good foundation of knowledge for future dimers and myself.

4 years ago, looked to buy my first vehicle. I knew I wanted a 1st Gen S10. I wanted a truck so I can have a good transport vehicle for my next build. Spent a whole summer on Craig's and Kijiji with no luck (living in Ontario, Canada) October rolls around and one finally pops up randomly at night 11pm - I contacted the seller and agreed to meet him the following morning. Drove 30 mins with my gramps to check it out, we took it for a quick run, handed the man $1000 now I'm the owner of my first vehicle. Better late than never. Also, the guy was cool enough to let me use his plates to drive it home, Roadkill Style, he just picked them up later.

What I had to start, 90' Chevy S10 Ext Cab 4.3 Automatic w/ newer Sony deck installed, power options, Magnaflow Muffler, black paint job done recently and a rebuilt motor (seller needed quick cash getting married)

Didn't do too much, swapped in a old school woodgrain steering wheel, painted the grill/gmc black, painted the front/rear bumpers and sanded/painted the stock rims all black.

Drove it for 2 years like a champ. Only basic upkeep. No Knowledge of the potential this rig had, yet.

Eventually spun a rod bearing - Now the fun begins...

It was my only vehicle and daily driver I needed a quick fix - that didn't happen (of course)

Now I'm scrambling to get things together, my buddy said he'd do the motor swap on the cheap just provide all the parts, sounds like a smoking deal.

Uneducated, I picked up a 305/4L60e combo for $700 thought I was getting a great deal, the 305 was a proclaimed newer crate motor from GM, A Vortec with less than 60k, the tranny was rebuilt the previous summer. I then found out the rough way, I can't use the 4L60e for my application, also found out the differences of a 305 and 350 shortly after... It came with some Hedman headers that didn't fit my application, sold those right away for $100, I have the tranny up for sale for $400, which would leave me with a $200 motor after everything

Now I'm learning on the fly, which most of you know, can get expensive.

I decide to give the 98' 305 some life, we decide to tear it down start from scratch. Deleted the TBI (I know it would've been a plug and play, thanks forums*) Kept the stock Vortec heads valves(only 60k on them) added a 270HR Comp Cam off Kijiji, motor had new roller tips, Purchased online a New Dual plane Air Gap Intake Manifold, Kijiji found AED Holley 650ho mechanical low KMs good condition, dual electric fans, a $60 chrome alternator, couple cans of black engine temp paint, now we have a good looking motor with unknown HP/TQ with my stock gears - what do you guys think it'll be?? Before I dyno it? Comment your guesses*********

I found a smoking deal on Headman Longtube Headers 40 mins up north for $50 that clears the steering shaft, I was all over that, Girlfriend and I use her car to take the trip, that trip was life changing.. her Car had problems so we pulled over, it looked like I wasn't going to meet the seller, while we were waiting for CAA, driver called us saying he'd be there in 5 mins, within that 5 minutes we were rear ended by a sleeping driver still going 100kmph according to the video footage of a nearby business. Girlfriend was in the passenger seat, she had minimal injuries thanks God she thinks I absorbed her impact by our body positions within car, me leaning over the middle compartment, talking on the phone with the seller up North, whom by the way was on the phone the whole time of the accident but didn't know what he was hearing.. I was in the hospital for 5 days with 11 broken ribs 9 on my right side, one of them broken so bad it puncured my right lung, 2 fractures in my spine, 2 fractures in my neck, and various head injuries. Thank God we are alive. My buddy picked up the headers for me while I was in hospital, he said the seller had a sweet old Mopar truck with custom duallys.

Now I'm home sitting injured, barely able to get out of bed to take a piss without assistance. I focus on my health but all those lonely nights in the hospital, I stayed on track educating myself about S10's , now that I almost died for it I wanted to make the best S10 i could. I used learning to keep my mind off the pain.

Fast forward a month, I'm able to walk, and I'm more determined than ever, I've also learned about this thing called a T56 and the "swap list everything you need to know list" whilst I was in the hospital. I knew exactly what I wanted now. From all the pain I google taught myself about SBC's, S10's and the all components to make them tick and rip, much to learn still, much to do. Nothing but time while I heal and build this car from my bed.

To make up for my poor motor choice I was going to go all out and hit them with a 6speed auto-manual conversion.

Found out they are rare like unicorns up here in Ontario, Canada. So I put an add on Kijiji "looking for a T56". I actually got a hit. The guy lived 4 hours away up north, St Sault St Marie to be exact. Figured this deal wouldn't happen, he offered to drop it off here, stunned, I etransfered a quarter of the money we agreed on for gas money, I got him to send a picture of his driver license and photo of the tranny packed ready to go just in case, took a chance - He actually came through - that's a 8 hour round trip for him, handed him $1200 now I'm the owner of a 93' LT1 T56 complete with bell but needed a clutch.

Shopped around hard for the best price, got myself a oem clutch kit flywheel and slave for my S10 for the swap

Found a clutch pedal assembly with reservoir from a guy 2 hours away, he met met halfway thankfully, he just so happened to have a tilt steering column from a manual, I also picked that up to make the trip worth while for him, came with 2 spare keys

Decided to splurge and bought a MGW Short Shifter, received it quicker than expected, looks beautiful, best one on the market for sure (thanks forums*)

Things were going smooth, and then we looked over the cab (my buddy doesn't have a lift) and we noticed while measuring the hole for the new shifter location of the T56 and by pulling back the carpet, that my floor pan area was really bad, Fred Flinstone bad, also determined that 2/4 cab mounts were shot, along with the rockers that I knew about when I first bought it.

Okay first big build problem we ran into. We ordered the oem replacement parts 2x floor pans, rockers, cab mounts

We cut the rust for the floor pan area first, sanded and treated it. My buddy and I weren't comfortable tackling this welding job so we outsourced a mobile welder. I found a 50+ vet who wanted $700 for the rocker/floor pan job, also found a younger fellow 7 years welding as a career who wanted $300. Saved both of their #'s

Now this is where I'm at today, I havent assigned the job as of yet.

After endless hours of reading and watching YouTube builds. I have the feeling that holding onto my S10 isn't worth it. As my S10 sits with no motor/trans, there isn't much worth left, maybe my Woodgrain steering wheel and front rotors that are brand new still shining and a Single Magnaflow Muffler, truck bed is shot, my undercarriage wasn't looking awesome and I had enough body work to need a full paint job.

I was advised to let it go and buy someone else's project by my local mechanic the day my engine spun a rod bearing, I refused due to arrogance of the sentimental value that I bought this truck with my gramps whom I am very close with and that it was my first vehicle yada yada yada

Ignoring better judgement got the best of me, now I'm thinking clearer as my gramps would be the first person to tell me to scratch it and re start back up the right way if I really want to go the truck route. Worst thing I can do is dump thousands and drive home from my mechanics not feeling 100% safe.

Now I'm on the lookout for a 1st gen ext cab. According to the forums the best year for Ontario is a pre 87', it's etest exempt so I won't need Cats! A small but very fun option that I didn't have with my 90'

So I'm looking for a good under carriage, A/C, Same box dash, Power Options will be nice, but as known on the forums I can swap my doors over. Is there a cut off year that you can't just plug the harness in? Can the flat dash pre 85s' plug and play a 90's S10/Blazer power options door? Couldn't pin point that info - if it's on this forum, can someone verify that?

I found a 86' Ext Cab Clean title S10. Stock 4.3 with no rust under carriage, passenger side rocker has hole I have the replacement part already. It has some things done to it that I wanted to do after my motor/trans swap that would've costed me if I kept my truck;

-Good condition truck bed w/ roll pan $500
-Dual Muffler pipes $400
-Cowl Hood + Stock Hood $100
-Double Din system with amp and custom ext cab sub box $500

Also has a good running 4.3 and 700r4 that's fully mechanical good to sell $500-800/combo

Buddy wants $2500 and he'll drive it here from Windsor 2 hour trip here

Think I might just do it, only reason haven't picked it up yet, if I can find a manual stock so we don't have to screw around with the pedal assembly again it may be worth it, even though the new prospect won't have the above listed items most likely, what do you guys think I should do? Sleep on it? The 86' seller actually took the add down because of the lowball offers via Kijiji but he texted me his number as I was serious about it.

I haven't told my mechanic about my plans, about bringing in a second S10 and doing it twice. I know it'll cost more, but this time it'll be their 2nd time at it and should go by that much smoother. Easier to fix mechanical stuff than fight the rust war, my tech offered to fix the cab mounts after the outsourced Weld job but I feel like that's a lot of pressure to lay on him, he could've knocked this out in 1 week if it wasn't for my sketchy structure of the cab.

Here's my master list;

1200 - 93' LT1 T56 Camaro
420 - OEM clutch kit, flywheel, slave, S10 master
230 - Clutch Pedal Assembly/Manual Shifter Column/Motor Mounts

700 - V8 305 4L60e combo
120 - XR270HR Comp Cam
380 - Dual Plane Air Gap Intake Manifold
370 - AED Holley 650cfm Mech
100 - Gasket Kit Kijiji find
100 - NGK Spark Plugs with U/L Rad Hoses
185 - A1 Cordone Distributor with Red wires n clips
280 - Brand new Power Steering pump/oil pan
60 - Newer Dual Electric fans Kijiji find
50 - Newer Red Optima Battery Kijiji

420 - Plush Carpet Via Rockauto
200 - Front/Rear Shocks 50% off sale
200 - Iroc 15" Rims

Still need hardware, and some gauges probably Speedhut Custom set, I like theirs as they have some metric gauges with turn signal and highbeam lights built in.

I took those Headers and got them professionally powdercoated (I should've just bought a sandblaster and painting gun)
They turned out okay, I'd probably go with bronze if I re-did them

I lucked out on some lowering parts. I knew I was switching out my stock springs, so I Made them available via Kijiji. Someone contacted me saying they would trade 4x 2" Lowering Springs, 3" Lowering Blocks and 2" drop spindles for my stock Springs - if I went to him, 40 mins away, we were looking for a car for my sister up in that direction just so happen so we made the deal. However my stock springs were still on the truck I picked up another set for $60 on the way and used that to trade, as I couldn't just take mine off and leave it like that meaning I still have mine to sell,when I do drop it. Should be a 4/6 drop. They didn't look so pretty when I got them, a little sanding and $6 spray can of textured coating they looked brand new

Another Kijiji deal, chrome alternator for $60 - Apparently he had one of the first V8 S10's in Ontario, he showed me pictures of it, said he had a V8 before they produced motor mounts for them, looked all good, he had a nasty stock 72' Camaro, should've snapped a picture of it. I did snap a pic of another Camaro I saw picking up a gasket set

The other nasty Z28 Camaro I saw

(Girlfriend getting too comfortable in the 69' )

I picked up a good condition stock 1st gen S10 bench seat for $60, the ones that don't recline back, realizing this would be a problem for me after purchasing, I thought about taking the advice about custom cutting it - so that it can lean back. I elected not to not go through that plan. I ended selling it for $160 making a easy $100 profit

Sold my stock 700r4 for $200

Got some 15" Iroc Rims came with rubber, didn't look good at first, turned out real decent with a good sanding, half a day, couple cans of plasti dip

I bought a couple of Edelbrock intake Manifolds off Kijiji, tried to clean them up, didn't like how they turned out so I sold both for a $100 profit. Ended up buying a brand new Air Gap Dual Plane

Picked up a inner driverside fender replacement part off this guy from Kijiji (of course) he was cool, he gave me a set of V4 brake rotors kit with bearings front and back for free, he was late and felt bad, he was selling his 4 banger to someone else and that stuff wasn't included in that deal, thanked him, off he went. Ended up selling the V4 brake set for $80 I bought the inner fender for $40 which left me a $40 profit, Punctuality pays sometimes.

Also have a starter that didn't fit my plans from the 305 sold that for $20

Saw a $50 Morosso Valve cover set on kijiji with breather, it came with chrome brackets for an alternator, bought it right away - kept the brackets - sold the rest of the Kit for $150

With the 86' I plan to buy, I'll pull the motor/trans sell that for 500-800, sell the cowl hood for $100, and the stock S10 rims and rubber, I should end up with a rust free extended cab for $1500

Then the labour, my buddy isn't charging me a lot fee because of my accident, which is real good

Once everything settles and looks good, I lastly plan to add a Ford 8.8 Rear Axel with Disk brakes (thanks forum*)

I did entertain the thought of swapping my motor in the future but this cammed out 305 should do well. I need it to haul stuff like my imaginary boat I'll have in the future and other car parts for future projects, this will do just that.. If I come across a good deal for a LS or built motor I may consider it but by then I would've finished my next 2 projectS.

How much HP/TQ do you think I'll get to the wheels with my cammed 305 stock gears for now? I plan to dyno if before the 8.8 Rear swap and after

If you read all of that, I'd like to hear some good stuff, opinions, suggestions?

I will update again when I pick up the rust free S10 to swap all my stuff into. Should take less than 4 weeks to find one if not I'll be picking up the 86'

Thanks for reading

Here's some eye candy of my next project potentially. 25k Budget featuring Air Ride, Matte Black Paint Job

Lastly here's a little humour, again i'll be posting as soon I got some good progress and pics

DrShankenstein likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 AM

Re: 1st Gen T56 V8 Build - Learning As I Go - Has Many New Pics*

That was quite a thorough run done of what you have been up to. Hope you're healing is progressing well.
Think you are on the right track with replacing the truck. When they get that rusty it's just not worth the time and money. Not like you have a 1 of 1 1929 Minerva or something else worth what ever it costs.
The choice of engines puzzles me. The picture you show of it originally is of a 97 or earlier TBI 305 (Not a 98-02 Vortec 305). I have thrown out more of those 305's than I care to count. Just not much power for the work involved in the swap and poor mileage to boot. Kinda like a 4.3.
Since you are in this deep why not step up to a LS 5.3 or bigger? Or a 5.7 Vortec if you want to stick with 1st gen? They are getting fairly cheap with the LS rise in popularity. Your headers and clutch would fit the Vortec. Also keeping costs down. Not so with the intake, tho.
Thought I'd throw out some ideas.
Good luck with what ever direction you go.
post #3 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Boozebag

Wow, long read but interesting.
Man, that rear end accident is a sad story.
Sounds like you have a law suit in your future.

Being busted up like that - you are never the same again.... It takes (literally) years to recover from broken ribs. Feels good when you sneeze...
I'm paying for it now from past stupidity and motor wrecks.

One note.... As soon as someone says rust free (in Canada) NOT.
ANY vehicle that has been driven more than one winter - has rust on it. I have a farm not too far from you in NY State, and see newish cars/trucks with rust - like 5 years old. They have shiny paint, but you look at the undercarriage and the rust has already started.
I guess what I am trying to say - pictures don't tell the real story, unless you see detailed pix of the frame /undercarriage.

Too bad you are in Canada. I'm in the deep south, no rust. I also have a totally rust free single cab and bed that is (ha) black.

Anyway, keep posting pix and progress.

S10 addiction:
1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty
2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck) 3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty
4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo)
5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie)
6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best) Sold
7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty
8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.

post #4 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 09:25 AM

Sounds like a god reason for a road trip.
post #5 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeerslayer View Post
That was quite a thorough run done of what you have been up to. Hope you're healing is progressing well.
Think you are on the right track with replacing the truck. When they get that rusty it's just not worth the time and money. Not like you have a 1 of 1 1929 Minerva or something else worth what ever it costs.
The choice of engines puzzles me. The picture you show of it originally is of a 97 or earlier TBI 305 (Not a 98-02 Vortec 305). I have thrown out more of those 305's than I care to count. Just not much power for the work involved in the swap and poor mileage to boot. Kinda like a 4.3.
Since you are in this deep why not step up to a LS 5.3 or bigger? Or a 5.7 Vortec if you want to stick with 1st gen? They are getting fairly cheap with the LS rise in popularity. Your headers and clutch would fit the Vortec. Also keeping costs down. Not so with the intake, tho.
Thought I'd throw out some ideas.
Good luck with what ever direction you go.
Thank you for reading all that much appreciated. I purchased the engine before I knew the difference between 305, 350, and LS. I was in rush/panic mode to get my car back on the road for work. Only until my accident, having the time to research-being off work, I took learning about all the components VERY serious. Now I know tips about building LS swaps, such as finding a decent KM Express Vans, taking the LS motor out of that, parting out the van, and hopefully break even or turn a profit, which would leave you with free LS Motor with the budget you bought the Express Van for, and have the option to tear down the block, then build to your specs. Here's the link to that idea..

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/how-to...ree-1131506504

I'm in Canada, and this would be a 4 seasons vehicle, so fuel injection will always be a appealing. I haven't heard the cammed 305 fired up yet so.. when that happens, and IF I don't like what I hear, i'll be looking at other options. Now that I have the time off work due to my accident, i'll able to build this the right way. Maybe for the sake of this thread I will LS it, Stay tuned!
post #6 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Wow, long read but interesting.
Man, that rear end accident is a sad story.
Sounds like you have a law suit in your future.

Being busted up like that - you are never the same again.... It takes (literally) years to recover from broken ribs. Feels good when you sneeze...
I'm paying for it now from past stupidity and motor wrecks.

One note.... As soon as someone says rust free (in Canada) NOT.
ANY vehicle that has been driven more than one winter - has rust on it. I have a farm not too far from you in NY State, and see newish cars/trucks with rust - like 5 years old. They have shiny paint, but you look at the undercarriage and the rust has already started.
I guess what I am trying to say - pictures don't tell the real story, unless you see detailed pix of the frame /undercarriage.

Too bad you are in Canada. I'm in the deep south, no rust. I also have a totally rust free single cab and bed that is (ha) black.

Anyway, keep posting pix and progress.
Thanks for reading all that! You're absolutely right about the rust up here - I need to be really careful/thorough

My only prospect right now is the 86' 2 hours away. He says the under carriage is rust free, the only reason I kind of believe him is because he said his dad is into drag racing at our local track, I don't think his dad would let him buy a shit box, you never know though. I'll get him to send me more pictures, the seller isn't fixed on letting it go, so I need to tread lightly. I don't want something like him snaping pics, sending it to me, and him looking at them re-falling in love with the S10 again stopping my project. He's actually younger than me, 19, yesterday when we spoke, I asked him what other cars he was looking to get after, he didn't really know and said maybe something Mopar or he'll just keep the S10. I haven't replied to that yet. This is still a negotiation.

A Southern fried S-10 sounds delicious right about now.

Stay Tuned*
post #7 of 21 Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Nice build man! I rad all of that and damn... how the heck do u post all of that with all the pics without getting timed out? Lol!
But anyway, besides all the usual spots that get rotted put on out 1st gens, look at the inner bottom lips of the doors, and the bed crossmembers, especially the rear most crossmember. They rot out without being noticed and without affecting the floor for a while. Also if it has a bed liner check the panel closest to the cab, actually the top rounded part. The salty water and condensation get stuck up there under the bed liner and rot that panel out and u can't see it till u take the bed liner out. Also check the firewall real good too. Usually along the seams on both sides they start rotting out.
So good luck, hopefully that '86 is solid so u can finish up your project.

- '92 S10 Extended Cab 2.8 5 speed: new daily driver.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/m...d-92-a-776930/

-2000 RCSB 2.2 5 speed. Cam swap, Roller rockers, etc... previous DD

:Project '89 S10 Extended Cab 408 LSX, T56 Magnum

Build thread-
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...56-n-a-665850/
post #8 of 21 Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Re: 1st Gen T56 V8 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyk31 View Post
Nice build man! I rad all of that and damn... how the heck do u post all of that with all the pics without getting timed out? Lol!
But anyway, besides all the usual spots that get rotted put on out 1st gens, look at the inner bottom lips of the doors, and the bed crossmembers, especially the rear most crossmember. They rot out without being noticed and without affecting the floor for a while. Also if it has a bed liner check the panel closest to the cab, actually the top rounded part. The salty water and condensation get stuck up there under the bed liner and rot that panel out and u can't see it till u take the bed liner out. Also check the firewall real good too. Usually along the seams on both sides they start rotting out.
So good luck, hopefully that '86 is solid so u can finish up your project.
That Right There Is Golden Information^

Thanks sharing that much much appreciated, maybe when I start to part out my 90' I'll take a peek and see how bad everything really was, and how bad of a mistake it could've been, welding the floor pans and going through the rest of the build on that sketchy structure.

Should I just go get this 86' it's an automatic? The only reason i'm holding back is because it isn't stock manual - it'll say from the VIN when you shop around for insurance, but now I'm thinking, even if I did find a manual T5, it would still be considered a mod to the drivetrain when I tell them about my T56? Right? I plan to keep this S10 forever, the VIN will always say automatic, my OCD hates that. Do you or anyone else have storys about tranny swaps and how that effected insurance?
post #9 of 21 Old 03-21-2017, 01:12 PM
Head Lifeguard

Nice progress.👍 Hope you heal up quick. The V8 T56 combo is an excellent one. If you start pushing north of ~375 horsepower I'd start looking for an 8.8 Explorer rear end, or a 8.5 Blazer rear end if you are lucky enough to find one. I've had mine for a while now and has been my daily driver for the last year. Almost zero issues and I can squeeze decent mileage out of it with 3.42 gears. She's a highway cruiser, loves to go 75 mph all day long and hasn't run above 195 degrees. Even in the summer with the A/C running. Good luck and keep at it. I don't see myself parting with mine.

1987 S10 HotCam LT4 V8/ T56 M6 build thread:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/8...ct-s10-444959/
post #10 of 21 Old 03-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Head Lifeguard

Mine is insured as the 2.5 5-speed the VIN comes back to. I won't ever recoup the value if it gets totaled. I figure I'll just build a better one next time if it comes to that. My truck is like 40% 2001 Blazer parts...

post #11 of 21 Old 03-21-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennsb View Post
Nice progress.👍 Hope you heal up quick. The V8 T56 combo is an excellent one. If you start pushing north of ~375 horsepower I'd start looking for an 8.8 Explorer rear end, or a 8.5 Blazer rear end if you are lucky enough to find one. I've had mine for a while now and has been my daily driver for the last year. Almost zero issues and I can squeeze decent mileage out of it with 3.42 gears. She's a highway cruiser, loves to go 75 mph all day long and hasn't run above 195 degrees. Even in the summer with the A/C running. Good luck and keep at it. I don't see myself parting with mine.
Good stuff thank you. The 8.8 swap is exactly what I intend to do. Actually, from what I've read the stock S10 gears aren't optimal with the T56 ratios, potentially hurting my MPG more than improving.. I will run the stock gears for a bit though, I'd like to get a good feel for it, so when I do swap I'll be able to tell the difference. Can't wait to put the foot down with a 8.8. That's why I'm running with the cammed 305 for now, I'd like to think it would be 300HP+ with the mods. When I have everything settled down from the initial swaps, then I plan to move forward upgrading the other components like the rear differential, performance brakes, sway bar, and such. My contingency for that stuff got killed when I bought the T56 and other items - Well worth the trade off. I almost look every week for another 90's T56 on kijiji since I got mine, nada. Which one do you have the 8.8 or 8.5?
post #12 of 21 Old 03-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Head Lifeguard

I have an 8.5 with a Detroit TrueTrack LSD. I get 21 mpg driving around town and bested 27 mpg on a road trip from FL to TN running 75-80 mph most of the way. If you read through my build thread you might find some useful information and what to expect to come across. Any questions feel free to ask, I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Here's what you get with 3.42 gears and 245/50 16's +/- 3 mph:

post #13 of 21 Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 PM

Garage

Another local! Cool. Im down in Niagara.

Brutal about the accident, hope you have a speedy recovery.
post #14 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor94 View Post
Another local! Cool. Im down in Niagara.

Brutal about the accident, hope you have a speedy recovery.
Nice! I pass by there often in the summer, hopefully my truck will be ready and we can snap some pics*
Connor94 likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Quick Update 03.27.17

So I have most of my stuff on sale on Kijiji at the moment, and received an offer I had to share with you guys..

I have a extra Mint 1st Gen Short Box that I planned to use, Somebody offered me a 200,000KM 4.8L LS Motor Complete from a 01 Sierra, engine is still in his truck, he can pull it for me with anything I need and He's willing to drop off everything in exchange for my Truck Bed.

Good or Bad deal?

The original plan was to complete this 305 swap and later convert to LS..

Seeing I've made ill-advised choices throughout this build, I know I'd be really happy with completing the LS swap and plan to go full steam with this.

From what I've read, converting your car to accept the LS is the hard part, once that is done, all the engine displacements are almost identical in size. 4.8L and 5.3 are virtually the same, 5.7 and 6.0 are also very similar. So switching to a beefed up LS motor down the line will be so much easier by completing a 4.8L now.

Should I make the trade? Maybe look for one with low KMs - But how many times do you get a offered a LS Motor for a Truck Bed..
post #16 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 AM

It's harder to find a MINT s10 bed with no rot. Those 4.8/5.3/6.0's are plentiful and a good deal pops up often if you keep your eye out. I would hold on to the bed for sure.

Seems thats why the guy is willing to drive 2 hours to you to deliver you the engine after pulling it from the truck. The guy knows how hard it is to find a not beat up and rotted s10 bed!

- '92 S10 Extended Cab 2.8 5 speed: new daily driver.
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f135/m...d-92-a-776930/

-2000 RCSB 2.2 5 speed. Cam swap, Roller rockers, etc... previous DD

:Project '89 S10 Extended Cab 408 LSX, T56 Magnum

Build thread-
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f213/l...56-n-a-665850/
post #17 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyk31 View Post
It's harder to find a MINT s10 bed with no rot. Those 4.8/5.3/6.0's are plentiful and a good deal pops up often if you keep your eye out. I would hold on to the bed for sure.

Seems thats why the guy is willing to drive 2 hours to you to deliver you the engine after pulling it from the truck. The guy knows how hard it is to find a not beat up and rotted s10 bed!
You're right, I'm gonna hold off for now, took me a good year to find this box.

A couple people have replied to my "Wanted Kijiji Adds"

They aren't for sale to the public, both of them contacted me over the weekend.

Yellow S10. 86' Motor/Trans pulled, converted for a 350, I noticed the MSD box still in there, body looks mint the in pictures, he lives about 1.5 hours away, asking $1000

Black S10. Pre-85 Motor/Trans pulled, engine bay looks like a hack job, Body looks good in the pics, lives 45 mins away, asking $600

These look okay, glad to see there's Ext cabs out there, I'll hold out for a bit more.

The one in Windsor I really liked is 87', stock 4.3 700r4 220,000KM, fresh black paint job but kind of cheap looking, has true dual 2.5 exhaust, a really nice truck bed with roll pan, under carriage is mint and a double din sound system is included, he's asking $2500 dropped off 2 hours to me. He's trying to tell me I need to buy now or never, I think he's bluffing, so i'll continue my search..
post #18 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Having trouble uploading pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s101100.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	275505   Click image for larger version

Name:	s101000.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	275513  
post #19 of 21 Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Here's the other S10 I was offered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S10312032.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	275521   Click image for larger version

Name:	s10320302.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	275529   Click image for larger version

Name:	s1010302.JPG
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	275537   Click image for larger version

Name:	S0103232.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	275545  
post #20 of 21 Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

So everything I've bought is currently on sale online. 2 months until summer so I'm going all in for this LS swap. Nothing against my 305 - I just want the fuel effiecncy that LS offers. If I can't sell it I might keep it for a fun little dune buggy project or amazing coffee table project

I think I mentioned that my 1993 LT1 Camaro Trans is not LS compatible even with the conversion parts. Only 94-98 LT1 6 Speed manuals will work for sure. The gear ratios are way different on the 93 compared to the 94-98. I might have a very slim chance though, there was 2 models of the Camaro T56 in 1993. The first one is LS compatible with a TAG ID M29 that one will work for sure but the M28 is a no go.

Regardless, I put it up for sale at a very high price hoping to get Lowballed with a decent offer. I had the ol' T56 up with a brand new LUK clutch/flywheel, master/slave for S10 swap, and brand new MGW Short Shifter. I haven't seen one on sale for over a year on Kijiji, and this is what I listed it for, you may laugh, $3700 for everything. Crazy I know but they are almost extinct in Ontario, Canada. From what I read the new Tremec TR6060 is a beast but not as good as the T56 for daily driving. I read somewhere that the TR6060 is much less forgiving than the T56 with missed shifts (something I don't plan to do) and even 1 missed shift can ruin the internals badly on the Tremec TR6060. Real story from a customer, and the problem is you need to buy the parts from them directly. The T56 is much better for daily driven use and I could find parts locally.

So yeah I had my crazy price up since Monday and I've received much interest with 1 solid offer I'm considering.. $2500 for everything! Which really works out because I actually found a 96' Camaro LT1 T56!!! The seller has 2 of them he said. He'll sell me the 96 but he's keeping his 02 LSX T56. He dropped off the transmissions and is getting them rebuilt. The 02 is getting beefed up and the 96 he sent in because it wouldn't shift in reverse.. but wait there's more, not only is he fixing that reverse issue, he's converting it to LS compatible weather I buy it or not for himself. He's a LS purist and I've learned a lot from him from 1 phone call talking strategy for my fuel efficient LS budget build. Best part about it, he wants $2500 for the tranny with rebuild included. The LS guy told me straight up he's making $300 profit off me if I buy it but he won't sell me a POS 100%. For a $300 profit I wouldn't even sell it hopefully he keeps his word.

Things seem to good to be true at the moment. We'll see how things unfold. Until the guy buys my 93' I re-listed it for $3000 short shifter included.

I will keep you posted*
post #21 of 21 Old 04-21-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

So I have some good news. I found a lsx t56! Someone replied to my wanted add.

I'm gonna keep this short until I can post some pictures.

One thing I've come to realize on this journey.. "Rome wasn't built in a day"

I've made complete* price lists for an expensive build, moderate build, and conservative builds.

Hopefully next time I'll have some solid pics for you guys and more importantly 1 game plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page