1991 sonoma with a 1990 s10 4.3 motor... getting to much gas, flooding... Wont Start? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1991 sonoma with a 1990 s10 4.3 motor... getting to much gas, flooding... Wont Start?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #1

1991 sonoma with a 1990 s10 4.3 motor... getting to much gas, flooding... Wont Start?

Just put a 1990 4.3 out of an s10 into my '91 sonoma that i bought with a bad 4.3l
what can make to much gas spray out of the injectors???
if you let it spray for a minute, unplug the injectors, then turn it over it starts. I even had a friend of mine plug and unplug the injectors and we kept it running for 2 or 3 minutes. its just getting to much gas.
ive already stumped everyone i know with this, so im hoping someone here can help.

i triple checked all the wiring, its ok. I switched out the sensors on the throttle body and tested them on an '89 with a 4.3, they were all fine.

-thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 10:50 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 1991 sonoma with a 1990 s10 4.3 motor... getting to much gas, flooding... Wont St

Make sure that the return line going back to the tank is
not crimped in any way. Check from the tank forward
if ness. This happened to me once and I found that
the rubber hose leading from the tank up to the steel
line got twisted when I did a pump and increased
fuel pressure so much that it looked like a flood
coming out of the inj's. It's possible that when
you installed the engine, you might of pinched
the return line that runs up alongside the trans
to the rear left of the engine.

Oh by the way, welcome to the site.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #3

Re: 1991 sonoma with a 1990 s10 4.3 motor... getting to much gas, flooding... Wont St

checked that out, even hooked up a different, unblocked line from the throttle body and it was pushing some gas through it, but still not starting. Id go unhook the injectors again, and it would fire up for 5-10 seconds. So im guessing its not the desending line thats clogged.

any other guesses?
Old 08-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #4

just now noticed it will half way run with one (of two) injectors pluged in.... get a lot sputtering and some backfiring but it will run for about 30 seconds with some help. to much or to little throttle and it dies...
Old 08-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
Works too much!

check FRP, sounds like a broken spring. I had a similar issue. Mine would run, but it overloaded really bad. Hows the timing?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:08 AM   #6

check your map sensor vacuum line. Sounds like mine when the hose cracked. The injectors were spraying so much they hissed louder than the exhaust
Old 08-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
peace and big boobs to u

fuel pressure regulator? would be my first guess
Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #8

-timing has got to be close enough... i say this because i managed to drive it today.

I ended up unplugging the 'Vehical Speed Sensor'. It may have just be coincidental, but soon after we figured out to start it you have the injectors plugged in, turn it over so it half way floods. Then unplug the injectors turn it over until it start to burn that gas. Then plug in one injector, keep it running for a second, then plug in the other and it will run and drive. Actually it runs pretty well. Still not right, but its getting there.

So im really confused now. Its not like it seemed like it was getting to much gas while it was running either. Not sputtering of bogging.
And it doesnt matter is its cold or hot. I ran it 5 miles probably as well as let it idle for a while, shut it off and had to repeat the same ol' circus act to start it again.

-MAP sensor vacuum looks ok. I even put anther MAP sensor on it, same problem.
-Also i messed up the throttle body i had on it, so i had to go get another one, so i'd say its probably not the fuel pressure regulator unless it was messed up in this "new" one too.

oh yeah, whats a good/acceptable oil pressure at idle for a 4.3L??
Old 08-13-2008, 12:35 AM   #9

different computer and distributer with control module.... no change (both off a good truck)

now, i drove the truck about 30-40 miles with the rods knocking (3 bearings had spun) ... shut it off, put in another motor and now it doesn't run?

All i can figure is left to change is the VSS (it threw a code before i unplugged it the other day), fuel pump and then the wiring

-- about the wiring. some moron worked on it, a few spliced wires, and most of the plastic shield stuff is gone. Due to this i was EXTRA careful pulling out, and putting in the motor to make sure none of the junk wiring got damaged beyond use... and believe me i've looked over pretty much ever bit of wiring under the hood trying to find a bad spot

any new guesses... really, anything?

-thanks again
Old 08-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #10

it runs now... i dont even know for sure what i did... but i really dont care, it runs. the last thing i did was swap out the distributer, and the next day it started up after pumping the gas a few times.... i dont get it, but it runs.

after a fixed a couple other thing i think i have it all pretty much straightened out now

thanks for the help
Old 08-19-2008, 10:04 PM   #11

Id Say Spark Plugs, Wires, Cap And Rotor
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 PM   #12

First off let me apologize for bumpin this 5+ yr old thread.
But I am having a near exact same problem with my 88 4.3 that got a 89 motor.
I was throwing a code for the vehicle speed sensor before it quit running. While the truck was down I found it to have tons of gas in the oil.
I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and throttle body gaskets. It never helped. Truck never would start (later found out it was always instantly flooding)
The amount of gas spraying through the injectors is crazy. Also while it was down I traced the "VSS" down to a connector under the dash and found it was unplugged. I plugged that back up and I think that made it worse .
We did eventually find out that we could unplug the fuel pump and get it to start. And then we could get it to stay running with just one injector plugged in. ( actually ran smooth since so much gas was comin out).
My main question to roadxing is, if you can even remember, did you have to leave the VSS unplugged to get it to run right? Did you replace it altogether? What where the other thing you fixed to get it to run right? I just can't figure out this correlation between the VSS and too much gas
Old 03-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #13

I am gonna go out on a limb and say roadxing won't reply since he hasn't logged in in 6 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.