1987 s10 problems - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1987 s10 problems

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2007, 09:42 PM   #1
Square-body crazy

User is: OffLine
1987 s10 problems

Ok,i found a 1987 regular cab s10 with a 5 speed and either a 4 or 6 cylinder (I forget which but i know it wasn't a 350) it's $300 and honestly i love it but there's a lot of mechanical crap wrong with it. When it idles it will go up and down and try to die out. Also when the guy tried to pull it forward it sounde dlike it didn't want to go into gear and it cut off on him and he was having to pump it a lot and race it too. Now i know just from my description it will be hard to pinpoint the problem but i just want to know honestly frm other first generation owners on the forum,is it worth buying? I want something that i can get on the road without a ton of work. don't get me wrong though..i plan to put a lot of hard work into the truck but i want something that is driveable without a lot of work being done.

Anybody think it's worth it for a first vehicle? Like i said i merely want something that will go down the road and not shutoff on me (With a little work and patience of course) Oh,and the body is in very good shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
whore turned lurker

Re: 1987 s10 problems

honestly it sounds like its more trouble than its worth,but thats just IMO
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 PM   #3
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS

if the body is in great condtion, go for it. I don't know about the funky idle, maybe a vaccume leak. It would be fun to drop in another engine though, for 300 bucks and a good body it would have been cheaper to swap in a new engine than to redo my rusted out truck. Decisions up to u though.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Square-body crazy

I decided on a '88 blazer for the same price. Sounds better cranked but i have to test drive it around my neighborhood first but i'm hoping all is well because if so then i'll have it in my name by saturday.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
NOT DONE TO MANY PROBLEMS

hope it works out for you. always liked the 2 door blazers wish i would have kept mine.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #6

on the first one it is probable a throtle pasitioning sensor and th clutch needs bleeding i had the same problem with my blazer and now i have no problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.