1986 chevy s10 2.5l no gas coming from injector. - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1986 chevy s10 2.5l no gas coming from injector.

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #1

1986 chevy s10 2.5l no gas coming from injector.

I have no gas coming from my injector it a 1986 chevy s10 2.5l I have replaced the fuel pump,oil pressure switch & I checked and oil would come out the hole when turning over,fuel pump relay,cleaned tank and lines, I baught a pressure regulater kit from orilleys and built it,fuel injector,fuel filter, throttle position sensor, mass air sensor, I have traced all the wires back to the computer and they all have good continuity and all look good,i have checked the fuses and they all look good, I have also replaced the computer but it didnt work after that so I took the computer back, I am throwing no codes and if I pour gas down the throttle body it starts right up but doest stay started. I have spark . I am getting 11.7 volts through the red wire and the blue puts some out when turning it over. when I put 12 volts to one side of the injector and ground the other out it spits fuel... I had a pressure tester to it and it would go to 10 or so pressure after I turned it over for a few seconds.. none of this has worked and It dosnt have a single fuel inj fuse or fuel inf relay..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 04:16 PM   #2

User is: OffLine
Re: 1986 chevy s10 2.5l no gas coming from injector.

I just repsonded in a thread from a guy having about the same problem.
It does have a fuel injector fuse, ECMI.
Sounds like what you are not getting is the ground signal from the ECM to the injector (blue wire). Ultimatly the ignition module send a refernce to the ECM. Your module may be bad. Take it out and to an auto parts store to have it tested.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 PM   #3

thanks I will try that tommarow morning. So if the ignition modual is bad fuel will not come out? I ran a check on my coil the day before it broke down and it passed all the test exept for the one you have to ground on of the terminals to the bracket.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by gunslinger27
thanks I will try that tommarow morning. So if the ignition modual is bad fuel will not come out? I ran a check on my coil the day before it broke down and it passed all the test exept for the one you have to ground on of the terminals to the bracket.
it also had white stuff on the terminal
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #5

it also had white stuff on the terminal
DiElectric grease (if I spelled that crrect )
Somehow the truck has to let the fuel injector know its running so a signal will come from the ignition module.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by MadMikeZ28
DiElectric grease (if I spelled that crrect )
Somehow the truck has to let the fuel injector know its running so a signal will come from the ignition module.
I am just asking......could the pick up coil in the in the dizzy not let it spit fuel?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #7

Ahh ok, I did not see that question. The stator that works with the reluctor ring (the things with the fingers) do connect to the module and work with it to to make the coil spark. Just in the same way as points did.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #8

OOps! My brother called me and I reacted by clicking post before explaing how to test the pick up coil.

If you have a multi meter connect a lead to the base of the dizzy. and the other test lead to one of the wires to see if its grounding. then hook your test lead to both of the leads on the pick up and there should be around 500-1500 ohms resistance.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:33 PM   #9

OOps! My brother called me and I reacted by clicking post before explaing how to test the pick up coil.

If you have a multi meter connect a lead to the base of the dizzy. and the other test lead to one of the wires to see if its grounding. then hook your test lead to both of the leads on the pick up and there should be around 500-1500 ohms resistance.
I had my old ignition moduale tested and it failed the dwell light did not light up on tester. so I replaced it and It still wont start. Is there anything else it could be? I rebuilt my fuel pressure reg with a diafram kit from orilleys and the chilton manual said not to remove the for screws that atached the regualter to the fuel meter cover but I had to to rebuild it and the diaphram was a little diffrent. I tested the fuel pressure ofter I did the rebuild and the pressure would go up to 10psi after 2 seconds of turning the motor over but bleed all the way off as soon as I stoped turning it over. I dont know if its sopposed to do that. I could not find a used or new fuel meter cover with a fuel pressure regulater for that truck anywere.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #10

Have you made sure you have a ground pulse to the injector? You have a test light? Instead of connecting to the negative side of the battery like when you test for power hook it to the positive side. Then probe the blue wire and have some one crank it. It should light up or flash really. Don't touch any hot leads. Hot + hot = sparks and burns and fire!
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #11

with key on and fuel injector harness unhooked red wire makes test light come on. blue does not even blink when turning the ignition over but with harness hooked to the injector red stays on and blue stays on but does not blink or pulse.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #12

test light from positive to blue side injection no pulse, no light, no anything

Last edited by gunslinger27; 09-03-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:16 PM   #13

test light from positive to blue side injection no pulse, no light, no anything
And that was tested while cranking I hope?
You can go to the ECM and test the injector's blue wire the same way. I think it is cavity D16 (light blue). If you have a pulse there is a break some where. Maybe in the bulkhead connector or the engine harness or make sure no one tapped into it for some reason like for an alarm.
If there is no pulse then the ECM is not getting a signal that the engine is cranking over. You tested and replaced the ignition module, did you test the pick up coil?
Old 09-08-2009, 03:21 PM   #14

And that was tested while cranking I hope?
You can go to the ECM and test the injector's blue wire the same way. I think it is cavity D16 (light blue). If you have a pulse there is a break some where. Maybe in the bulkhead connector or the engine harness or make sure no one tapped into it for some reason like for an alarm.
If there is no pulse then the ECM is not getting a signal that the engine is cranking over. You tested and replaced the ignition module, did you test the pick up coil?
I dont know how to or even see wires that go to a pickup coil on my truck there are wires for both sides of my ignition mod and three that go to that black thing on top I forgot what thats called.....when I hook up a test light to the blue wire I have power coming from the blue wire even when its not hooked up to the injector and it dosnt pulse ......the test light says that the blue wire has power coming from it when the harrnes it un hooked and grounded to a ground.,,,,,,,,weird, what would cause that and is it sopposed to have power? When i turn it over it does not pulse even when hooked up to the battery. red has power also.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #15

The pick up coil (also may be called stator) is inside the dizzy. It has two wires that plug into one side of the module (one yellow and one green I think).
Does the blue wire have as much power as the red? The test light is as bright on both wires? Unplug the computer wires to see if it still has power. Maybe the wires got melted together somewhere in the harness.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
Layin Low Customz

mine had the same exact problem, it ended up being the sensor under the dist. cap, replaced that and it started and ran fine
Old 09-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote: Originally Posted by lkrayzie
mine had the same exact problem, it ended up being the sensor under the dist. cap, replaced that and it started and ran fine
Right, the ignition module. I stated that in post #2 but the OP later stated he had it tested and it failed so he replaced it. So some where between the injector to the computer to the module there must be a problem.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #18

where did this guy leave off? i am having the same issue and have also done proper testing and coming up with a loss!
HELP LOL.....
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.