1984 Chevy S10 motor swap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

1984 Chevy S10 motor swap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Specific Model Forums > 1st Gen Forums > S10 / S15
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #1

1984 Chevy S10 motor swap

What is required in order to relace the OEM 2.8L carb model with a newer model fuel injection motor?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Re: 1984 Chevy S10 motor swap

Where is my post? lol!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
HJR

User is: OffLine

Here ya go:

http://www.vessels-clan.com/jay/truck/tbiinfo.htm
Old 12-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #4

Thank you for the reply and the link but I already have a complete newer fuel injected motor. I just leed to know what I need in addition. I know I will have to install an after market, firewall mounted, electric fuel pump for example. But, is that all I need?

Quote: Originally Posted by HJR
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #5

When you say COMPLETE motor and all.. You have the full TBI harness and everything? If it was mine.. converting over.. I would convert the fuel pump over to the electric one.. instead of mounting it on firewall.. keep it more simple and clean.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #6

What do you mean? Where else would I mount the fuel pump if I were converting to an electric on without mounting it to the firewall? There is no electric pump in my fuel tank where the newer models with fuel injection motors were put in. Am I missing something here?

Quote: Originally Posted by 2003Xtreme
When you say COMPLETE motor and all.. You have the full TBI harness and everything? If it was mine.. converting over.. I would convert the fuel pump over to the electric one.. instead of mounting it on firewall.. keep it more simple and clean.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 AM   #7

That is what I am saying.. If your going to convert it to a TBI setup.. I would buy an electric fuel pump and put it inside the stock gas tank. Not positive you can do that, but I think you should be able to. That way you don't have to mount an external one.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
4x4 v6 blazer

You never want to mount an electric pump on the firewall. They work better pushing fuel than sucking it. Mount it on the frame rail near the tank.

If it was me I would pull the tank out of one with a pump in it out of a 86+ model.

You need a 85 speedo since if I recall that was the only older dash with a place to hook up the vss.

The engine harness I would use would be out of a 88-89 model right after gm swapped ecms but right before they went to electro speedo. The headaches of the drac and electro speedos is not worth it imho.

With all the work if it was me I would skip over the tbi and look into putting multiport out of a f-body if you plan on keeping the truck. Much better upgrade options later on that way. In the end just about the same amount of work since you are adding a new harness and ecm anyways.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:54 PM   #9

This is turning out to be a big 'ol can of worms. My S10 is also a 4x4 so even the oil pan is different. I have a newer fuel injection 2.8L that I was hoping to put in this truck. But apparetly I was misinformed by the guy I bought this motor from a few years back. He said it would basically "bolt right in." Apperently, there are differences in the block/mount, wiring harness, oil pan, as well as concverting to electric fuel pump, etc. I'm going to have to eat probably $500 or more I've invested in this endeavor and just stick with the carb model and get the original motor rebuilt instead. Just the remanufactured block will cost be $1,600.00 at through Advance Auto. This is quite depressing and disappointing. But, I'll drive on! Thanks for the help guys. Unless someone still has a recommendation based on this new update I guess there's nothing else to do. Thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by 2003Xtreme
That is what I am saying.. If your going to convert it to a TBI setup.. I would buy an electric fuel pump and put it inside the stock gas tank. Not positive you can do that, but I think you should be able to. That way you don't have to mount an external one.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #10

This is turning out to be a big 'ol can of worms. My S10 is also a 4x4 so even the oil pan is different. I have a newer fuel injection 2.8L that I was hoping to put in this truck. But apparetly I was misinformed by the guy I bought this motor from a few years back. He said it would basically "bolt right in." Apperently, there are differences in the block/mount, wiring harness, oil pan, as well as concverting to electric fuel pump, etc. I'm going to have to eat probably $500 or more I've invested in this endeavor and just stick with the carb model and get the original motor rebuilt instead. Just the remanufactured block will cost be $1,600.00 at through Advance Auto. This is quite depressing and disappointing. But, I'll drive on! Thanks for the help guys. Unless someone still has a recommendation based on this new update I guess there's nothing else to do. Thanks

Quote: Originally Posted by neo71665
You never want to mount an electric pump on the firewall. They work better pushing fuel than sucking it. Mount it on the frame rail near the tank.

If it was me I would pull the tank out of one with a pump in it out of a 86+ model.

You need a 85 speedo since if I recall that was the only older dash with a place to hook up the vss.

The engine harness I would use would be out of a 88-89 model right after gm swapped ecms but right before they went to electro speedo. The headaches of the drac and electro speedos is not worth it imho.

With all the work if it was me I would skip over the tbi and look into putting multiport out of a f-body if you plan on keeping the truck. Much better upgrade options later on that way. In the end just about the same amount of work since you are adding a new harness and ecm anyways.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:56 PM   #11

Old 12-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
4x4 v6 blazer

You can use the newer block with all your stuff and it will be an upgrade. Just keep your oil pan and front timing cover on the newer block. Your intake will swap over as well. The only 2 hold ups are you will have to use an electric fuel pump and a flywheel/flexplate depending on the year of the newer engine. Sometime in 87 gm swapped the balance from external to internal (I think it was) and the flywheel/flexplate must be of the correct design.

The older blocks had small mains and are known to snap the crank. The fuel injection heads have bigger valves and flow better. Everything you need you should have now if the truck is running to put the newer engine right in your truck short of the 2 items listed.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:52 AM   #13

Now that is interesting. Maybe there is hope? Now does it matter if the newer EFI motor came out of a 2x4 and mine is a 4x4? If not, you're saying all I should need that I do not have is the flywheel/flexplate? What's really bad about this is that an ex-landlord of mine owns a salvage yard and his mechanic are doing the work because I don't have the plave or the lift, etc to do the work myself. I hate that! I sure wish I had a garage! So I suppose I need to go down there and get the numbers off of both engines and do some looking.

Quote: Originally Posted by neo71665
You can use the newer block with all your stuff and it will be an upgrade. Just keep your oil pan and front timing cover on the newer block. Your intake will swap over as well. The only 2 hold ups are you will have to use an electric fuel pump and a flywheel/flexplate depending on the year of the newer engine. Sometime in 87 gm swapped the balance from external to internal (I think it was) and the flywheel/flexplate must be of the correct design.

The older blocks had small mains and are known to snap the crank. The fuel injection heads have bigger valves and flow better. Everything you need you should have now if the truck is running to put the newer engine right in your truck short of the 2 items listed.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #14
HJR

It'll work fine. The motor in my 4x4 is out of a two wheel drive. I didn't have to switch out my timing cover as both my motors were the newer design, but like Neo said, use your timing cover and your oil pan will bolt right up. You'll also want to use the oil pickup tube/screen out of the old engine too.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
HJR

As to the flywheel/flexplate do you know what year your newer engine is? In '87 they went from external balance to internal, and the '87 year could be either way. All you need is the proper flex/flywheel for your newer engine.
My original engine was an '87 and externally balanced, my replacement was an '88 so I had to buy a new neutral-balanced flywheel for the new engine.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM   #16
4x4 v6 blazer

The engine doesn't care if its in a 2wd, 4x4, truck, suv, blazer, or jimmy. Same engine got thrown in all of them, just the 4x4s got a different oil pan. The 3.4 in my 4x4 came out of a camaro.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 AM   #17

Well it's finally complete and ready to be picked up. Total cost, parts and labor, $1432 and that was cutting me some slack on about $500 worth of labor. There were several snags in replacing the original 4x4, '84 2.8L motor with an 2x4, '87 2.8L. Had to install an after market fuel pump for beginners. The '84 4x4 oil pan would not work on the '87 motor so they had to scrounge up one of those. Since the '87 motor didn't have the brackets, mounts, alternator, AC compressor, air pump, etc, etc and I couldn't use the old stuff because the '87 is serpetine and the '84 was v-belt, all of those parts also hjad to be scrounged. All said and done, it's been quite a hassle and cost, especially considering that I didn't have to buy the motor in the first place. I already had that. I just hope I can trust that everything was installed properly and as I have been told. The 'ol truck's really not wiorth all of this, but it's a sentimental thing. This was mom's truck that she just loved to death and I've had it every since her death. I'd like to eventually completely restore it. It's quite a truck, powerful 4x4 and all. I'm thinking that it's a collectable since it has the "Durango" package, complete with skid plates and a full size bed. Very sharp looking truck too if you ask me. Thanks for all the suggestions guys! Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #18
HJR

Well, glad to hear it's done, only you would have saved yourself some money and frustration if you had followed the advice given here. Your 4x4 pan absolutely would have worked if you had used the old timing cover with it. Also mentioned above, ALL of your accessories, excluding fuel pump and flywheel, from the old engine would have worked on the new one. There was no need to hunt up the serpentine accessories.

Anyway, happy new year.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #19

Well damn it! It's even worse than that. I picked the truck up yesterday and it's still a Carbed engine! They took all the EFI stuff off! Basically, I just ended up getting the newer block! Man, I wish I had a damn garage! I absolutely hate letting other people do my work. For just THIS reason!

Well, glad to hear it's done, only you would have saved yourself some money and frustration if you had followed the advice given here. Your 4x4 pan absolutely would have worked if you had used the old timing cover with it. Also mentioned above, ALL of your accessories, excluding fuel pump and flywheel, from the old engine would have worked on the new one. There was no need to hunt up the serpentine accessories.

Anyway, happy new year.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #20

Quote: Originally Posted by Brick
Well damn it! It's even worse than that. I picked the truck up yesterday and it's still a Carbed engine! They took all the EFI stuff off! Basically, I just ended up getting the newer block! Man, I wish I had a damn garage! I absolutely hate letting other people do my work. For just THIS reason!
Wow.. thats kind of a large error if you told them to put the efi in it
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 AM   #21
Less Is Always More.

i don't think i'd of paid for the work if they didn't accomplish the main objective. I'd demand a refund and utilize your current resources (i.e. http://www.s10forum.com/). you've been given great advice should of DIY. Best of luck to you guy. Happy New Year!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #22

Well there was a lot of confusion and several phone calls. I guess I misunderstood and thought he had finally figured out how to get it all swiched over. I'll just have to eat this one. Maybe I'll explore this again when I get ready to do a complete restore one of these days.
Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by moosewhip
Wow.. thats kind of a large error if you told them to put the efi in it
Old 01-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #23

I would've loved to do it myself, but no garage, etc. Maybe next time. Thanks guys!

Quote: Originally Posted by DaddyTy
i don't think i'd of paid for the work if they didn't accomplish the main objective. I'd demand a refund and utilize your current resources (i.e. http://www.s10forum.com/). you've been given great advice should of DIY. Best of luck to you guy. Happy New Year!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.