wont go in gear - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

wont go in gear

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
95 s10

User is: OffLine
wont go in gear

i just got done putting in a new clutch,pressure plate, and slave cylender in my 95 s-10 and it wont shift into gear. i bled all the lines and dont know whats wrong.help please.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #2

Re: wont go in gear

how does the clutch pedal feel? is it soft? I had the same prob and it turned out that I got a junk slave cylinder and had to replace it
Old 07-02-2006, 11:50 PM   #3
95 s10

yea its really soft. so you think that it is the slave cylender?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:03 PM   #4

I'm Back to confused; I have only one stick left out there, but I sure dont need to operate the clutch to move the gearshift lever. It goes into gear with or with-out the clutch, right?

Pedal does go to floor, right? So car starts, right? Is it moving when it starts? In other words, is it IN some sort of gear and stuck? Or stuck between gears and not moving anywhere?

Is this the reason you changed the clutch?

Yes if its too soft you may have clutch cylinder problems. But the tranny ought to move pretty freely on its own without having to depress the clutch at all. As long as you have the car on fairly level ground and the gear is not holding the car against the weight of a hill or something the tranny LEVER ough to move just fine.

The way I read your question could be completely wrong.

A clutch is used to seperate the rotation of the engine from the tranny so that the tranny can be shifted without damage while the engine is running. If the clutch does not operate but is engaged, which is indicated by the fact that you are not releasing it, then the gear selector would operate and you could drive only in a gear low enough to not stall the car out. It would probably attempt to roll while cranking but not start.

An automatic without protection from the electronic ckts would certainly start, cause pressure buildup from the tranny pump is slow to arrive, giving the engine time to start. Then it runs you over. Same thing with a stick shift that is IN gear and the clutch is not released. The clutch cylinder in your case is the operating lever for the clutch to RELEASE. Meaning if it doesnt work, its ENGAGED. If its engaged, and the pedal doesnt release it because you havent bled it right, then the safty switch that is attached to your pedal to keep it from startng will be in OPERATED mode and the car will start. (in simplified terms) or try. It should stall if the engine and the tranny are engaged and the car is not in nuetral.

Probably gave you a bigger headache or am reading your question all wrong. Let us know.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
95 s10

The Trucks Starts It Wont Go Into Gear Though. It Seems As If There Is A Problem With Something Engaging The Clutch To Let It Shift Freely. Yes The Pedal Goes To The Floor And No The Truck Doesnt Move When I Start It Because It Isnt Stuck In A Gear I Have It In Neutral. The Shifter Moves Freely When The Truck Is Off Though. What Do You Think Is Wrong?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:22 AM   #6

same deal in my truck, and it just needs to be bled properly... PITA! I'm down right frustrated with it
Old 07-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #7

The same basic question remains. If you place the truck IN A GEAR, will it try to move when cranking with clutch down? Or an even better way, can you actually move it by pushing or is it really in gear??

Prove or disprove the statement that "it wont shift into gear".

This little answer provides two things. We'll know the clutch is not releasing properly if it tries to move when cranking or refuses to move if pushed.

BUT we will also know you must have installed things correctly and not jammed the tranny stuck. By the way you describe the shifter moving "freely" when it is off, indicates that the trranny isnt stuck.

What you basically say when you say that, is that it WILL GO INTO GEAR. The only ways to know it actually is in gear is to try to PUSH it away. Unless you try to crank it IN GEAR and this may do some harm, though it is my first instinct to try.

All you will prove is that the slave cylinder isnt bled properly or that the other parts of the clutch release mechanism are not installed correctly. Considering the pedal is overly soft, I'd bleed that thing correctly first.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #8

I do want you to know that right in the shop I have a tranny for an s10 that will run and shift till it heats up good, even full of lube, then it gets stuck in a gear and will not shift. This DOES happen and you could have been stuck in a gear the way the question was worded.

My tranny is in need of a rebuild, bearings, bushings, and if I need it, I will do so. Right now I have no need.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:51 PM   #9
95 s10

i replaced my slave cylinder today and it fixed the problem it works great now thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.