S-10 Forum banner

v8 700R4

803 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  oldeerslayer 
#1 ·
Anyway, i have a 1991 s10blazer with a 4.3L v6 and 700R4 transmission.
It is a 2WD truck, but i think you all can help me out.

The transmission went out recently, and i'm wondering. If i get a 700R4 from a 2wd vehicle that has a SBC (same bolt pattern as my v6) can i use this transmission with my V6? Has anybody ever run into performance issues, I.E. Engine stress, drastically different shift patterns, etc? I would like to get something that could be a stock replacement, that has a little bit more "robust" internals.

#2 ·
The best 700R4 2wd from the factory was the 92-93 Caprice 9C1. It has all the HD internals and a killer valve body. I swapped just the valve body into my 91 Corvette and it really woke up the way the vette drove. If you didn't drive it hard there was no noticeable difference. The police 700R4 also has the ability to go WOT in 4th without it downshifting, for high speed chases. Problem is finding one that hasn't been replaced with a run of the mill 700R4 as a cheap fix.
Next best thing would be one out of a 3/4 ton 6 bolt wheel 2wd pickup. It won't shift like a Corvette, but would be as heavy duty as they came. Again finding an original will be difficult. The 8 bolt 3/4 tons and the 1 ton had th400's in those days, no OD and not a simple bolt in. Personally I would shy away from trannies with a "shift kit". There are a lot of different ones out there and some were not well thought out. Simply increasing the line pressure and shift points can do more harm than good.
There are a number of reputable transmission builders than can build what ever you and your budget want. You need to call and talk to them. I've always liked Bowtie Overdrives. https://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=7
Just an old man's humble opinion.

#3 ·
@oldeerslayer

I read in another forum that a vette trans would be best and most abundant.
One of the posters as talking about V8/v6 torque converters being different. If i were to a get a vette trans, and put in the v6 convert will that work?

I don't want snappier shifts, or "race car performance" just more robust internals.

Also if i do go vette, being my truck is a 91 with an electronic speedo servo, will i need to find a mid 90's vette? Or will something from the mid 80's work as well?

Also, i only have about $400 max to work with, so i need the best replacement for my buck. I have a 4 month old, am the only one working, (by choice)

#4 ·
Can't use a Corvette trans. They are shorter. The tail housing and main output shaft different. To put the longer parts in one would require a complete tear down.
Some V6 torque converters have a higher stall speed. Primarily when put behind a V8. They have a bit less internal friction and when installed on a V8 they slip a bit more at low speed because of the torque of the V8. Behind a V6 doubt you'll feel much. If you have a V8 torque converter on a V6, it will feel like a pig. Back in 91 I traded my 89 S10 pickup in a new 91. GM had decreased the amount the newer torque converter could slip in an effort to meet some EPA standard. I hated that 91. Only kept it about 6 months. Today, EC3 torque converters constantly slip a bit. The amount is controlled by the computer.
You should look for a full size truck or suburban transmission and use a V6 T/C. Don't reuse your old one, it is contaminated with bad tranny debris. And flush out the cooler and lines thoroughly. Most parts stores sell kits to do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.