Transmission wont shift to reverse - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Transmission wont shift to reverse

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Transmission wont shift to reverse

Hello, my name is Crystal and I am brand new to the site. I know its kinda wierd with a woman being on here discussing s10 issues but I think there is a lot of great info available. Heres what happened. I was driving to my mothers to drop off my neice and when I went to drive off from the stop sign I felt a slight bump under the hood and then heard like a winding sound and my truck wouldnt go very fast or shift out of first gear. I tried to put it in reverse to go back to my mothers and it wouldnt go anywhere. The shifter would go in reverse but the truck wouldnt move. It would just whine louder when I pushed on the gas. I have a 96 V-6 S10 extended cab. Could someone please explain how I can go about fixing this. I think it might be the flywheel. I am trying to fix it via the cheapest route since its so close to the holidays. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #2

Re: Transmission wont shift to reverse

if you hear a whining noise, that means that your pump is not pumping enough fluid causing that whining noise. so that means your line pressure is to low to operate the transmission properly. how many miles on the truck? have you ever changed the tranny fluid? it could also be a clogged tranny filter, or a clogged EPC solenoid in the tranny. you can hook up a pressure gauge on the driver side of the tranny and read if the line pressure is with in specs....
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
if you hear a whining noise, that means that your pump is not pumping enough fluid causing that whining noise. so that means your line pressure is to low to operate the transmission properly. how many miles on the truck? have you ever changed the tranny fluid? it could also be a clogged tranny filter, or a clogged EPC solenoid in the tranny. you can hook up a pressure gauge on the driver side of the tranny and read if the line pressure is with in specs....

Wow, you really sound like you know your stuff. Thats a big relief to know that I may not have to change out the transmission. The truck has 214,000 miles on it. I contacted the previous owner and he said he changed out the transmission two years ago and he doubts that it already went out. Are you a mechanic?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:01 PM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by Gittinthode007
Wow, you really sound like you know your stuff. Thats a big relief to know that I may not have to change out the transmission. The truck has 214,000 miles on it. I contacted the previous owner and he said he changed out the transmission two years ago and he doubts that it already went out. Are you a mechanic?
yeah i am. where are you located? in order for you to rule out certain problems with the transmission, you need to do some basic checks on it first. keep in mind the valve body is like the other half of brain to the transmission. you can also check your front pump by pulling the tranny dipstick out while the truck is off. then make note of where the fluid level is. that put it back in and start the truck up. now pull the dipstick while the truck is running and take note of where the fluid level is. if the level went down a lot to where its suposed to be while running then you know your front pump is working. so then is your line pressure is still low, then you either have a faulty or clogged EPC solenoid, or a worn or dirty valve body that leaking somewhere or a dirty tranny filter. or your tranny fluid may have thinned out. these are some basic checks you can try....
Old 11-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93
yeah i am. where are you located? in order for you to rule out certain problems with the transmission, you need to do some basic checks on it first. keep in mind the valve body is like the other half of brain to the transmission. you can also check your front pump by pulling the tranny dipstick out while the truck is off. then make note of where the fluid level is. that put it back in and start the truck up. now pull the dipstick while the truck is running and take note of where the fluid level is. if the level went down a lot to where its suposed to be while running then you know your front pump is working. so then is your line pressure is still low, then you either have a faulty or clogged EPC solenoid, or a worn or dirty valve body that leaking somewhere or a dirty tranny filter. or your tranny fluid may have thinned out. these are some basic checks you can try....

I am located in beaumont, tx... I havent had a chance to mess with the truck yet cuz of the holidays. When I check the valve body how do I tell if it is worn or damaged. Do I have to take the transmission apart. Also what if the EPC solenoid is bad. Is this hard to change out. It sounds like all the items you listed to check are fairly affordable. When I check the fluid with the truck off and mark the level , if the pump is bad will the level stay the same as it was when off as it is when running. Is the front pump hard to change.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

User is: OffLine

click the link below. look at #8 a common problem with the 4L60E transmission. also, no shame posting here just because your a gal...

http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f13/4l...utions-297698/
Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

I am 99% certain you have internal hard parts damage. The trans has to come out and be taken apart for inspection. I would bet when the trans was "redone" the clutches were replaced and the sun shell looked ok so it was left alone. Shops do it all the time.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by Myself
I am 99% certain you have internal hard parts damage. The trans has to come out and be taken apart for inspection. I would bet when the trans was "redone" the clutches were replaced and the sun shell looked ok so it was left alone. Shops do it all the time.

I just found out that the guy that sold me the truck lied about getting the transmission new or rebuilt two years ago. So I think it is the original transmission in my truck. I know that cant be good. I live in beaumont tx. Would you guys recommend a shop for me to bring it to. There are so many and I dont want to get taken to the cleaners. I know when they see the mileage they will probably want to rebuild the entire thing. Do you think that I should have it rebuilt. If so what would you think a fair price would be on a 1996 chevy s10 with 214,000 miles on it. I know there are some local shops and then there are big names like AAMCO and Mr. Transmisison. I plan on keeping the truck for a while so I dont have to pay a carnote. I hope it wont be too expensive. Thanks so much for all of your help. Maybe you can tell me what you would say when I bring it into the shop to make it sound like I know what Im talking about with the transmission. Thanks - Crystal
Old 12-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote: Originally Posted by Gittinthode007
I am located in beaumont, tx... I havent had a chance to mess with the truck yet cuz of the holidays. When I check the valve body how do I tell if it is worn or damaged. Do I have to take the transmission apart. Also what if the EPC solenoid is bad. Is this hard to change out. It sounds like all the items you listed to check are fairly affordable. When I check the fluid with the truck off and mark the level , if the pump is bad will the level stay the same as it was when off as it is when running. Is the front pump hard to change.
Before you do all this, make sure that your tranny has juice going to it and that it is properly grounded. also make sure that the whining noise is not coming from the engine or somewhere else. you can disconnect the fan belt and start it, if the truck still whines then you know its your tranny. oh your a bit far, im in NY. to inspect the valve body it would have to be removed and disassembled for inspection of wear or stuck valves. the level will be much higher when the truck is off. and then when you start the engine the level goes down to where it should be. thats a quick way of testing the pump. in order to change the front pump you have to pull out the tranny because its behind the convertor....now if your EPC is bad, that can be changed by just droppping the pan. it is possible for your pump to be good and your EPC to be bad or even just clogged up. it has a screen on the front of it. however you have to check the line pressure with a gauge before taking anything apart to see if you have low line pressure.....
Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #10

It's probably an all original trans. It should be totally overhauled. To do it right with all new parts will run anywhere from $1000 to $1500. You could stop by a couple of the auto parts stores and ask about a trans rebuilder that's fair and will do it right. Then ask them exactly what they will be replacing, and with what brand parts. The last one I did was a street performance type rebuild with all new red clutches and steels, the 3/4 powerpack, new solenoids, new torque converter, new sun shell, and a Trans-go shift correction kit. Parts and labor came to $900. That was a buddy deal and he pulled the trans and brought it to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.