transmission removal - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

transmission removal

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
Exclamation transmission removal

I am 150 miles fromm home trying to get my S10 back on the road. The question I have is, how is the best way to remove the five-speed transmission? The problem I have is removing the shifter. Is it better to unscrew the shifter from the top of the transmission, leaving an open hole until you get it out, or what? I need help ASAP. Thanks All.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #2
that dude with the truck

Re: transmission removal

the shifter handle just unscrews then you can drop it through the hole itll come right out after you drop the crossmember and unbolt it
Old 01-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Question Re: transmission removal

Okay, I have the shift lever already unscrewed fromthe top of thet transmission, I need to drop the transmission and bellousing as a unit then?
Old 01-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
IATVHSS #904

Quote: Originally Posted by ShortStuffS10
Okay, I have the shift lever already unscrewed fromthe top of thet transmission, I need to drop the transmission and bellousing as a unit then?
i dont know what year your truck is, but i put a new tranny in my 89 balzer. i didnt need to pull the bell housing and tranny as a unit. If i remember right, i pulled the shifter off first, then transfer case, tranny crossmember, tranny, and then bell housing and clutch crap. that is the simplified version. also, the driveshafts need to come off. I had a hell of a time doing all this with only a little 1 1/2 ton jack. but no, they dont need to come off as a unit. Chris---
Old 01-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #5

I am working on a sdhort wheel based s10 pickup with 5 speed and 4-wheel drive also. the exhaust goes under the bell housing, and I was looking for the best way to do this. I really appreciate your help, as I am in Norfolk, Va right now trying to bet this baby back on the road.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #6

Exclamation Re: transmission removal

1988 truck
Old 01-26-2006, 03:35 PM   #7
that dude with the truck

well i guess if you need to just take it off in 2 pieces, then the bellhousing will clear the exhaust, im used to my auto trans just 1 piece and its a big bitch without a lift lol
Old 01-27-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
Pushrod for life!

you need to remove the whole shifter unit from the extension housing. if you don't you will not have clearance to slide the tranny back to clear the input shaft. You can reove the tranny by leaving the belhousing in place. they are 2 pieces. what do you need to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.