S-10 Forum banner

Transmission Problems

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Zombie1969 
#1 ·
I searched on here to see if anyone else had this problem, but didn't have any luck. My 2000 S10 4.3 automatic is having some problems with the transmission. I only notice this on the highway at speed (60-80 mph) after the truck has been running for 30 minutes or more at speed. If I keep the transmission/engine engaged it I don't have a problem. However, if I let off the gas as if I'm coasting in gear, and attempt to resume with the gas, the engine will rev up to 3-3 1/2k rpm and then will settle back down around 2k rpm and engage the transmission. The other thing is while coasting and coasting for more than 5 seconds, the rpms will quickly dive and then pick back up. At first I began to think that this is just the transmission going in the truck, and that may still be it, but I wanted to check with ya'll first. The transmission has about 247k miles on it so I'm not surprised if its failing. These problems could be engine related as this engine has close to 215k miles on it.

I have a friend back home that found a used transmission for ~$300 with less than 100k miles and is offering to put it in for me for $250. So I have that option, but didn't want to proceed unless I really needed to. I haven't worked on a transmission before and don't really have the know how but I know some cars have sensors associated with the transmissions and not sure if that could be it.

Thanks for any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you getting code p1870? Does it shift hard if you come to a stop and go after about 30 mins of hwy driving?

#4 ·
@chevymec, Yessir. I changed the fluid and filter about a month ago. Color wise, it didn't look bad at all but it sure smelt terrible. I didn't notice a change after the new filter and fluid.
@992drjimmy, Its not a constant occurrence, but I have had that code pop up. It doesn't hard shift for me though. That's the only thing that makes me think it's not the overall transmission, but I could be wrong.

#5 ·
I would put in a new valve body and change fluid again using type f fluid. This is from experience with same and similar situation you describe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.