t5 to nv3500 tranny swap - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

t5 to nv3500 tranny swap

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > Transmission & Rearend
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 02:04 PM   #1

t5 to nv3500 tranny swap

I am having problems shifting my T-5 tranny. After reading several threads I decided to post my question. I want to swap my T-5 for a NV 3500. I knoiw it can be done, but how much work will be involved. I know the shifter is further back on the NV than on the T-5. I don't have a problem with cutting the floor to allow the shifter through thr floor. Will I need a new wiring harness? A different driveshaft? ANy info would be greatly appreciated. My S-10 is 95, 2.2, 2WD., extended cab. Love the truck but don't want to put a ton of money into it.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Gaaoooooo

User is: OffLine
Re: t5 to nv3500 tranny swap

The NV3500 is made specifically for the 4.3/V8 bellhousing bolt pattern. The transmission you are looking for is the nv1500 found in 96+ 2.2 5 speed trucks. I would think the swap between the two would be relatively straightforward with minimal modifications but I am not positive.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #3

Okay I am having the same issues but with my slave.. I went out and bought a used NV1500 from ebay for less than $200 shipped; had it rebuilt by a transmission place here locally for another $175.. Anyway we had noticed after dropping my T-5 that the NV1500 the shift hole is in a different location.. But one of my questions is that I dont know about the center console after I cut that hole out.. What was the deal on the driveshaft? New One? Please let me know if anybody had some info on this, because we are trying to complete this task over the weekend..
Old 02-08-2007, 02:25 AM   #4

Quote: Originally Posted by juavos00
Okay I am having the same issues but with my slave.. I went out and bought a used NV1500 from ebay for less than $200 shipped; had it rebuilt by a transmission place here locally for another $175.. Anyway we had noticed after dropping my T-5 that the NV1500 the shift hole is in a different location.. But one of my questions is that I dont know about the center console after I cut that hole out.. What was the deal on the driveshaft? New One? Please let me know if anybody had some info on this, because we are trying to complete this task over the weekend..
The location of the shifter hole is definately different. Just get a console from a '98+ truck, the boot, cut out the hole back farther and sheet metal over the remaining section. Id do the driveshaft too. A driveline shop can shorten a shaft but not lengthen one. AAM makes the current shaft and is a solid unit. DennysDriveline or DennysDriveshaft.com(cant remember) can make a custom one or might have a premade application shaft. You could measure the bellhousing to tailshaft on both and get the difference. Then measure your existing shaft. What the diff is will be how much less or more you will need the new one to be. Find a late model 5sp and measure it. Be sure to do it on a comprable truck(cab-bed length and auto-manual tester )
Old 02-08-2007, 11:06 AM   #5

Okay hopefully I wont need to get a driveshaft, but was wondering if I had too wouldn't one from a 96+ X-cab work for my truck.. Because that is the same body style, and the same transmission; so in theory that should work..
Old 02-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #6

Alright here is the update.. The tranny is out of a 2000 S10 finally fully bolted up to the engine; hole notched in the cab for the shifter.. Now things I had to change were the master cylinder (2000 S10), steel braided line (self made), shifter (98 S10), transmission x-member (98 S10); and a fitting off a late model camaro that snaps into the slave cylinder..

Now my main problem is that the clutch feels like it's nothing... You can pump it all day and nothing.. I have tried bleeding the slave several times, different ways and nothing.. I may not be bleeding the right way; but other than that I have no idea what is going on.. Please if you have any help or info, I need it badly I have to get my truck running SOON!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.